Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CBS Sports Has Us Taking Mayer
(03-24-2023, 12:38 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I get it, you love the guy, but to say he's head and shoulder above the others just simply isn't true.  The top 4-5 guys are pretty close.

And you can get one of those in round 2.  With as much as we use a tight end, it makes sense to address it later on.

I get it, you constantly disagree with every post I make and try to make personal attacks because that's your only counter to any of my arguments for drafting Mayer, just like every other post of mine you comment on.

He's definitely head-and-shoulders above the other guys, with the exceptions of maybe Kincaid and some could argue for Washington, but sites like DraftKings rank Mayer in a tier all by himself.

ProFootballNetwork also has Mayer all by himself but also lists him as a beast:

Quote:The top of the tight end class remains the same as Michael Mayer is a do-it-all monster.

Also, we've never had a tight end of Mayer's caliber, so how can you say we wouldn't use him enough?

Furthermore, Hurst and CJ both got big deals after playing with Burrow here, so you think teams are signing them to big deals when we didn't use them at all? Burrow would find a way to get Mayer the ball and Zac would draw up more plays to get him the ball or be the #2 option behind Chase or even the #1 option at times. 

What player are you suggesting would be head-and-shoulders above a player that we could get after the first round?

(Ironically, as I'm typing this, they're signing Mayer's praises on the TV in the next room.)
Reply/Quote
I know there's a lot more to it than bench and some might even consider bench a minor thing, but, at his pro day today, Mayer put up 21 reps in bench.

That would have tied him for fourth with Washington and only been beaten out by Strange, Kuntz, and Kraft, all who put up 23.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2023, 01:28 AM)Whatever Wrote: Being fair, Hurst was a career backup when he signed here and CJ wound up as a backup on the Jets.  TE's not putting up huge numbers in the passing game can simply be a talent issue.

Yeah, Ceej likely made the wrong choice by heading to NY, but Hurst was a 1st round selection.  It's not his fault that he was upstaged by Mark Andrews.  TEs that had prolific receiving numbers in college have been drafted by the Bengals, yet their usage in the Bengals offense prevented them from being more highly rated players.  Chase Coffman and Jermain Gresham for good examples. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 03:25 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I get it, you constantly disagree with every post I make and try to make personal attacks because that's your only counter to any of my arguments for drafting Mayer, just like every other post of mine you comment on.

He's definitely head-and-shoulders above the other guys, with the exceptions of maybe Kincaid and some could argue for Washington, but sites like DraftKings rank Mayer in a tier all by himself.

Also, we've never had a tight end of Mayer's caliber, so how can you say we wouldn't use him enough?

Furthermore, Hurst and CJ both got big deals after playing with Burrow here, so you think teams are signing them to big deals when we didn't use them at all? Burrow would find a way to get Mayer the ball and Zac would draw up more plays to get him the ball or be the #2 option behind Chase or even the #1 option at times. 

What player are you suggesting would be head-and-shoulders above a player that we could get after the first round?

(Ironically, as I'm typing this, they're signing Mayer's praises on the TV in the next room.)

Man, come on.  The only issue that I can remotely think of disagreeing with you on is this one.  And personal attacks?  I can't think of one.

We have had TEs of his caliber before - in fact one that was head and shoulders better in Eifert.  He is very similar to Gresham.

Hurst and CJ got deals in the $7 million range.  Those are "big" deals.  

You can find guys that will say that Mayer is in a group of his own just like I can find sites that will say that the top guys all carry a similar grade.  For our offense I want the best receiver - and Mayer isn't that better or that much better than LaPorta or Kincaid.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 08:40 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Man, come on.  The only issue that I can remotely think of disagreeing with you on is this one.  And personal attacks?  I can't think of one.

We have had TEs of his caliber before - in fact one that was head and shoulders better in Eifert.  He is very similar to Gresham.

Hurst and CJ got deals in the $7 million range.  Those are "big" deals.  

You can find guys that will say that Mayer is in a group of his own just like I can find sites that will say that the top guys all carry a similar grade.  For our offense I want the best receiver - and Mayer isn't that better or that much better than LaPorta or Kincaid.

There have been a few where you made personal attacks because you had no argument, kind of similar to this one.

Eifert and Gresham were both strictly receiving tight ends and not tight ends in the true sense. They weren't the type that could get physical with linebackers or safeties and body up to them. Gresham was also just more of a vertical threat and wasn't too physical. Eifert was more of just a big receiver and wasn't physical at all.

When you factor in everything, Mayer is a lot better than those two, or anyone else on the board.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2023, 02:26 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: There have been a few where you made personal attacks because you had no argument, kind of similar to this one.

Eifert and Gresham were both strictly receiving tight ends and not tight ends in the true sense. They weren't the type that could get physical with linebackers or safeties and body up to them. Gresham was also just more of a vertical threat and wasn't too physical. Eifert was more of just a big receiver and wasn't physical at all.

When you factor in everything, Mayer is a lot better than those two, or anyone else on the board.

I would have to disagree with this. The most physical blocker in this TE class is Washington and he is literally like putting in a 6th lineman in a jumbo package. 

I think that Mayer is an absolutely solid and safe selection but when I watch him there is nothing that screams to me that this is a guy is a must have in the 1st round. There could actually be an argument made that Mayer is close to his ceiling and what you see is what you get. What makes me say this is big games like Ohio State where he really was a nonfactor.

A guy like Washington on the other hands has only been allowed to show a glimpse of what he is capable of because he was used second to Bowers who was their main receiving target from the TE position.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2023, 02:26 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: There have been a few where you made personal attacks because you had no argument, kind of similar to this one.

No argument?  I have an opinion, just like you.  It's not like there is anything to back up your argument that you feel that Mayer is such a can't miss prospect and an elite talent.  None of these guys are.  If they were, they would be Top 10 picks.

And there's nothing personal about my argument.  I guess if you could tell what is personal about what I said in that post, I'll make sure I don't have any more personal attacks.

That being said, it's not like Mayer is the best blocker in in this class.  He may be the most well rounded, but his athleticism is a tad worrisome.  I would just rather have a guy that has some sort of high level skill rather than just a guy who is "well rounded."  

The Bengals have traditionally used 2 tight ends - one for blocking and one for receiving.  I don't think Mayer would change that, nor would Washington or Kindcaid.  All of these top guys are late round 1 to round 2 guys.  Which makes me lean towards taking one in the second round.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2023, 02:52 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I would have to disagree with this. The most physical blocker in this TE class is Washington and he is literally like putting in a 6th lineman in a jumbo package. 

I think that Mayer is an absolutely solid and safe selection but when I watch him there is nothing that screams to me that this is a guy is a must have in the 1st round. There could actually be an argument made that Mayer is close to his ceiling and what you see is what you get. What makes me say this is big games like Ohio State where he really was a nonfactor.

A guy like Washington on the other hands has only been allowed to show a glimpse of what he is capable of because he was used second to Bowers who was their main receiving target from the TE position.

I don't think anyone is a most have at our pick, no tackle jumps off the board for me, I do think Mayer is the most ready player to play on game 1 though. 
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2023, 12:08 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote:  I don't think anyone is a most have at our pick, no tackle jumps off the board for me, I do think Mayer is the most ready player to play on game 1 though. 

Oh no doubt he is ready on Day 1. However, I want more from my first round pick. I want a guy that had the ability to continue to climb the ladder as opposed to being at their pinnacle. Do not get me wrong I like Mayer just not at #28. I feel that when you watch him you are seeing a player that has sort of maxed out his athleticism. I Could certainly be wrong.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2023, 02:41 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Oh no doubt he is ready on Day 1. However, I want more from my first round pick. I want a guy that had the ability to continue to climb the ladder as opposed to being at their pinnacle. Do not get me wrong I like Mayer just not at #28. I feel that when you watch him you are seeing a player that has sort of maxed out his athleticism. I Could certainly be wrong.

I don't think he'll suddenly become Michael Vick, but I think he's still growing physically and hasn't reached his max.

Even if he has, we don't need a tight end that's super-athletic.

I get it that that's what a guy like Washington is, and it's nice to see athletic plays on the highlight real, but I just want our tight end to be a consistent target that's sure-handed, runs good routes, and can move the sticks, which is exactly what Mayer is.

Our receivers are the ones that we need to be the athletic freaks, but Mayer is athletic enough to at least occupy defenders, especially with his route running.

If Burrow looks to Chase and then maybe even Higgins as his #2 option, and they're both covered, I want Burrow to feel confident in knowing that he has Mayer in the middle of the field that he can look to and gain 7-to-10 yards as an outlet, and then obviously more on plays where he's the #2 or even #1 option on routes downfield, which looking at Chase to start the play draws the safeties out to him, which leaves Mayer one-on-one with a backer.

Washington could be the pick with the higher upside, but Mayer's the safer pick and would still make our offense VERY tough to stop.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2023, 02:41 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Oh no doubt he is ready on Day 1. However, I want more from my first round pick. I want a guy that had the ability to continue to climb the ladder as opposed to being at their pinnacle. Do not get me wrong I like Mayer just not at #28. I feel that when you watch him you are seeing a player that has sort of maxed out his athleticism. I Could certainly be wrong.

100%.  If we go TE in Round 1 I want a guy with an elite trait - whether it's blocking (Washington) or receiving/athleticism (Kincaid)

Otherwise get a similar guy (LaPorta) in round 2 or an elite athlete (Kunz) later.  The Irv Smith signing makes this a lot more flexible.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 12:32 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: 100%.  If we go TE in Round 1 I want a guy with an elite trait - whether it's blocking (Washington) or receiving/athleticism (Kincaid)

Otherwise get a similar guy (LaPorta) in round 2 or an elite athlete (Kunz) later.  The Irv Smith signing makes this a lot more flexible.

Same, Washington is obviously who I like the most. His upside is crazy and is an elite blocker already.
Reply/Quote
I should also mention that, for all the talk about how he's not athletic enough to be enough of a threat to validate a first round pick, half of his yards came in yards after catch, so he's plenty athletic enough for what we need.

He may not be the downfield threat, but we have Higgins and Chase for that, so let backers try and cover him in the open field on medium-length routes when safeties double Higgins and Chase and watch him devour defenses.

I think he's the missing piece that we need.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 04:18 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I should also mention that, for all the talk about how he's not athletic enough to be enough of a threat to validate a first round pick, half of his yards came in yards after catch, so he's plenty athletic enough for what we need.

He may not be the downfield threat, but we have Higgins and Chase for that, so let backers try and cover him in the open field on medium-length routes when safeties double Higgins and Chase and watch him devour defenses.

I think he's the missing piece that we need.

Yeah, I think Mayer would be a good pick. But I understand others wanting to pass on a TE in the first and also understand liking a guy
like Darnell Washington more, as that is me. Just going off of upside if we go TE I would prefer Washington over Mayer, but to each their
own. Understand completely why you would want Mayer who has much more production and is a local dude and Bengal fan.

Mayer is a good blocker too, unlike a guy like Kincaid who I would be PO'ed if we picked Kincaid.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 04:34 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, I think Mayer would be a good pick. But I understand others wanting to pass on a TE in the first and also understand liking a guy
like Darnell Washington more, as that is me. Just going off of upside if we go TE I would prefer Washington over Mayer, but to each their
own. Understand completely why you would want Mayer who has much more production and is a local dude and Bengal fan.

Mayer is a good blocker too, unlike a guy like Kincaid who I would be PO'ed if we picked Kincaid.

Yeah, I don't get how anyone could want Kincaid. Hopefully he's gone so we don't even have to worry about it.

I understand you wanting Washington because he's the more of the big play receiver player and the better blocker (I think that's why but sorry if there's more or if I'm wrong on those), but, as you said, Mayer's not a bad blocker and he's the safer pick (IMCO).

I can't wait for the draft!
Reply/Quote
His cousin, Luke Maile, is playing for the Reds today on opening day.

He's not starting but could get in to pinch hit or something.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 03:25 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I get it, you constantly disagree with every post I make and try to make personal attacks because that's your only counter to any of my arguments for drafting Mayer, just like every other post of mine you comment on.

While I know this post isn't directed at me, I just wanted to point out that we all end up having "our guys" that we really like and sometimes defend through the teeth.
I'm basically dealing with that currently with Roschon Johnson.
It's not attacking people necessarily, it's more having strong opinions (good or bad) about certain players/prospects and it can end up in a pretty strong discussion/debate.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 05:00 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Yeah, I don't get how anyone could want Kincaid. Hopefully he's gone so we don't even have to worry about it.

I understand you wanting Washington because he's the more of the big play receiver player and the better blocker (I think that's why but sorry if there's more or if I'm wrong on those), but, as you said, Mayer's not a bad blocker and he's the safer pick (IMCO).

I can't wait for the draft!

Well Washington is bigger and more athletic and has never had the chance to be a #1 TE. I just think the upside is extremely intriguing.

His blocking is crazy good, wouldn't surprise me if he could actually do what our TE's could never do, block Ends in the passing game.

Not near as good of a route runner as Mayer though, so one to Mayer on that one.

(03-30-2023, 05:17 PM)ochocincos Wrote: While I know this post isn't directed at me, I just wanted to point out that we all end up having "our guys" that we really like and sometimes defend through the teeth.
I'm basically dealing with that currently with Roschon Johnson.
It's not attacking people necessarily, it's more having strong opinions (good or bad) about certain players/prospects and it can end up in a pretty strong discussion/debate.

Yeah, and Mayer is like a buddy of Brad's, might feel like attacking him, but that isn't what Hammerstripes was doing.

It was just his opinion.

Disagree with Whatever on both his thoughts in your mock thread. Roschon Johnson fits perfectly for our pass first Offense and Corner
is a much bigger need than Safety with the Nick Scott addition.
Reply/Quote