Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Mike Mcglinchey
(02-25-2018, 07:27 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Agreed.  His ceiling might not be as high as some of the risk/reward players like Williams, for example.  However, I see McGlinchey as likely the surest, safe bet to be a consistently good OT for a long number of years.

(02-25-2018, 07:38 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: I favor solid versus risk/reward. Especially when we have little to fall back on. This ain't the time to gamble with the rent money. 

Sounds like you all are asking for another "serviceable" OT. If your looking for a safe pick, I would go with Price to replace Bodine. Just got that nagging feeling that the Bengals are going to "give" Bodine a new contract with starters pay within the next month and blow it.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2018, 11:10 AM)Goalpost Wrote: Mike McGlinchey | 6'4 | 310 | OT | Notre Dame - McGlinchey is overrated by most. He can struggle vs. quick-twitch edge players and those who exhibit power. He has a ton of experience and is steady enough against average competition to warrant some early looks. But, his play against Malik McDowell last year and Bradley Chubb in 2017 left a lot to be desired. His games against Georgia and Miami did nothing to help his cause either. He's a solid OT, but should not be looked upon as a first round LT prospect.

What bothers me is that in the elite match ups, he was less effective.  He will be facing elite every week in the NFL.  I want to like the guy, but at 12 this is my issue.  He's a reach.

wrong.  first of all, he's 6'7 or 6'8.  but to say he's not a first round prospect?  Come on now.

He blanked Chubb this year.  he had one bad play against Georgia that cost them the game late.  the Miami game was by far his worse game in his career at ND....but the whole team looked terrible.  if you wanna blame McGlinchey for that game, you better blame Nelson too.  Maybe Nelson should also be considered a 2nd round prospect?
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-26-2018, 04:00 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I feel a lot of people are being very critical of his pass protection even though practically every OT struggles in some regard to pass protection.
McGlinchey has demonstrated issues with pure speed rushers with bend and somewhat with power, but I think he can definitely improve against power even with just one offseason of dedication, as it's not a huge weakness right now. He's a technician, which will help him a lot.
Something too that I see overlooked by a lot of people is his ability in the run game. If he can boost the run game as he should, that likely would result in more rushing attempts and fewer pass blocking attempts. That helps negate McGlinchey's weaknesses in the passing game.

Will there be better overall players than him at 12? Very likely. I consider him in the mid-late teens as a prospect. But at this point, the Bengals can't fully control where they pick because you need a trade partner to move. It's not like we're talking about McGlinchey in the Top 5. A few spots early isn't that big of a deal.

The issue that I have isn't that he struggles every now and then, it seems like he gets lit up in the premier matchups.  That's a huge red flag.  Couple that with the questionable success of recent tackles taken high in the draft, and I have serious concerns.

There is NO elite LT prospect this year.  These guys are good, not great prospects.  With that being the case, I would wait until round 2 to address it.  
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2018, 04:13 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: The issue that I have isn't that he struggles every now and then, it seems like he gets lit up in the premier matchups.  That's a huge red flag.  Couple that with the questionable success of recent tackles taken high in the draft, and I have serious concerns.

There is NO elite LT prospect this year.  These guys are good, not great prospects.  With that being the case, I would wait until round 2 to address it.  

True, but I think McGlinchey is still noticeably better than the LTs you'll find on Day 2/3.
Plus, I don't see an elite LT prospect next year either.
At what point do you bite the bullet and take a guy like McGlinchey if there ends up not being an opportunity for the Bengals to get an "elite" OT for years to come?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-26-2018, 04:13 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: The issue that I have isn't that he struggles every now and then, it seems like he gets lit up in the premier matchups.  That's a huge red flag.  Couple that with the questionable success of recent tackles taken high in the draft, and I have serious concerns.

His issue with speed rushers is not that he doesn't have the quickness or the athleticism its a technical issue. He stops his feet when he punches out with his hands and that allows the smaller faster guys to dip under him which is correctable.

To me McGlinchey and Tyrell Crosby are the two most solid tackle prospects this year. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
McGinchey should be the pick at #12 if Nelson is gone.

The Bengals need a sure safe pick that does not need to be taught solid technique and footwork.

You know those little things that Ced And Fisher do not have.

All of the other Tackles might have higher ceilings but they also have red flags, injury histories and other things I dont like.

Bring in McGlinchey, at either LT or RT, along with Boling and we only have 3 other Oline spots to fill up, which is one better then

the Bengals had last year.
Reply/Quote
At some point you have to stop worrying about nonsense like "is this player not highly rated enough to go #12?". The question should be very simple.

Is the player one you need? If yes, then it becomes "will he be there when we pick again?" If that one is No you pick him right there. Don't play games.

Of the Tackles in this year's class (and yes Tackle is a desperate need), McGlinchey is probably the closest to a plug and play. He has good technical skills already and comes out of a good program that already runs an NFL pro style offense. His main weakness is coachable.

The hope here is that one of the top Centers is still there in the second round.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2018, 07:09 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: The more I think about it the more I think this guy has to be the pick if he is there.

If he is available when we go on the clock we are getting a gift and need to jump on it.

Agreed, definately my top LT in this group. He is solid in every way, he is a good run blocker and is good in pass protection.

He has done it for many years and he is very smart and has good strength, he can work on his technique as that may be his
only concern but even then it doesn't really show. He is invisible out there which you want out of your Lineman. Sometimes
McGlinchey might struggle with speed rushers but so does Whit and pretty much every Tackle.

Connor Williams and Orlando Brown scare me. I actually like Crosby out of Oregon or Okorafor/Western Michigan or Alex
Cappa Humbolt State all better than Orlando Brown. Connor Williams has lots of talent but he is coming off of injury and is
lacking in strength, reminds me of Og in this way but i bet he will be better than him. Still not as good as the sure thing in
Mike McGlinchey OT Notre Dame that i want to hear on Draft day at 12 if we didn't add a Nate Solder type in FA.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2018, 03:19 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Ive seen him listed at 6'7" and 6'8"
First time seeing 6'4" so im questioning the source.

I thought he held his own against chubb. 

Taking the #1 tackle in the draft at 12 is not a reach when Boling and Winston were your starting tackles at the end of the year

Yea, now that I look at it, I question that height as well.  He is listed 6'7 on their big board.  Might be a typo.  Here is the source I used if interested.  Read thru each section if you like.

https://www.footballcouchscout.com/

All they do is really scout and update as the year goes on.  I find them generally a good follow overall.  Well anyway, that's the source.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2018, 04:01 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: Sounds like you all are asking for another "serviceable" OT. If your looking for a safe pick, I would go with Price to replace Bodine. Just got that nagging feeling that the Bengals are going to "give" Bodine a new contract with starters pay within the next month and blow it.

Bodine may be bad, but Ogbuehi is God awful in comparison. No doubt both need to be replaced. The closest we have to "serviceable" now at LT is Boling, who is best at guard imho. And I'm not looking for another player to play out of position. I want another Whit, and likely won't get that this year. So if the next best I can get is a 'good' player, then that will be most welcome. 
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2018, 10:46 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Yea, now that I look at it, I question that height as well.  He is listed 6'7 on their big board.  Might be a typo.  Here is the source I used if interested.  Read thru each section if you like.

https://www.footballcouchscout.com/

All they do is really scout and update as the year goes on.  I find them generally a good follow overall.  Well anyway, that's the source.

Mayock has him listed at 6'8" on his draft profile.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2018, 11:33 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Mayock has him listed at 6'8" on his draft profile.

Unless I'm looking at something different from you, the NFL.com draft profiles are written by Lance Zierlein, not Mike Mayock.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/mike-mcglinchey?id=2559891
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
not like I'm breaking down film on these OT's but I do remember watching Orlando Brown this year a couple times and he was dominating people
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2018, 10:20 PM)bonesaw Wrote: not like I'm breaking down film on these OT's but I do remember watching Orlando Brown this year a couple times and he was dominating people

He has his moments for sure.

I like offensive linemen who dont stop until the whistle. That is my #1 gripe with Orlando. I havent watched a ton. But the cut ups i have watched i see him letting up before the play is even over.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2018, 04:29 PM)Synric Wrote: His issue with speed rushers is not that he doesn't have the quickness or the athleticism its a technical issue. He stops his feet when he punches out with his hands and that allows the smaller faster guys to dip under him which is correctable.

To me McGlinchey and Tyrell Crosby are the two most solid tackle prospects this year. 

It's obviously not something that is easily corrected or it would have been done by now.

I just don't see much of a difference between him and any of the other guys.  You can't reach for a guy just because you have a  position of need.  I still think that they don't give up on Ced and Fisher just yet. 
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2018, 06:14 PM)Joelist Wrote: At some point you have to stop worrying about nonsense like "is this player not highly rated enough to go #12?". The question should be very simple.

Is the player one you need? If yes, then it becomes "will he be there when we pick again?" If that one is No you pick him right there. Don't play games.

Of the Tackles in this year's class (and yes Tackle is a desperate need), McGlinchey is probably the closest to a plug and play. He has good technical skills already and comes out of a good program that already runs an NFL pro style offense. His main weakness is coachable.

The hope here is that one of the top Centers is still there in the second round.

Agree with this

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2018, 01:34 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: It's obviously not something that is easily corrected or it would have been done by now.

I just don't see much of a difference between him and any of the other guys.  You can't reach for a guy just because you have a  position of need.  I still think that they don't give up on Ced and Fisher just yet. 

That still leaves us as of now with no depth behind two guys going into the final year of their contracts who have so far been busts. Winston should be retired and i think its hard to find the seasons Andre has been healthy.

When you have a giant flashing red warning light going off because of a crucial need.. Grabbing the #1 player at that position is not a reach. Especially at 12 and we are talking about T. Which according to pay is the most important OL
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2018, 01:34 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: It's obviously not something that is easily corrected or it would have been done by now.

Damn dude, guess McGlinchey has to be perfect for you to like him. Connor Williams was injured last year, doesn't have the
strength needed and plays with heavy feet. Orlando Brown is a RT not a LT and word is Fisher has been cleared and we can
still bring back Andre in a pinch.

McGlinchey is clearly the best of these 3.

Crosby, Okorafor and Cappa i like better in the 2nd if we go for a different OT than McGlinchey.

Of all the players not name Quinton Nelson, McGlinchey is the real no brainer for this team at 12.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2018, 05:03 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Damn dude, guess McGlinchey has to be perfect for you to like him. Connor Williams was injured last year, doesn't have the
strength needed and plays with heavy feet. Orlando Brown is a RT not a LT and word is Fisher has been cleared and we can
still bring back Andre in a pinch.

McGlinchey is clearly the best of these 3.

Crosby, Okorafor and Cappa i like better in the 2nd if we go for a different OT than McGlinchey.

Of all the players not name Quinton Nelson, McGlinchey is the real no brainer for this team at 12.

No, but if we are going to take a player at #12, he needs to be a guy that is worthy of that spot.  I just don't see much difference between him and the other guys this year.  I'd much rather wait until round 2.  I don't think Williams is a good pick either.

There's just a lot of guys that I like better than him this year.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2018, 12:52 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Unless I'm looking at something different from you, the NFL.com draft profiles are written by Lance Zierlein, not Mike Mayock.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/mike-mcglinchey?id=2559891

Yeah, I got that.  Anyhow, the NFL.com draft profile has McGlinchey listed as 6'8".  I'm not convinced that height is an advantage, as much as it is a detriment, when faced with smaller, quicker edge rushers.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote