Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Mike Mitchell Continues To Play Steelers' Football!
(10-16-2017, 11:28 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: When 56 puts his hand on his back and seems to shove as Mitchell is rushing towards Smith.

Good catch on the facemask, though. Penalty either way.

He barely touched him Pat.....if at all.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2017, 11:34 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: True, but the diving motion does not match the pushing motion from the LB. It would take a pretty big push/hit to knock him that much off balance. 

Given the evasive maneuvers by Smith, I assumed Mitchell wasn't very balanced in his scrambling, which would likely allow for 56 to throw off his balance with a shove.

On the replay, there's insufficient evidence to overturn the call on the field (I'm speaking as if I am reviewing it... I know penalties can't be reviewed). 

I also watched this in real time, not 100 times on the internet after the game. I just said what it looked like to me. I appreciate your common sense approach to it, but man, some of the Bengals fans here are like rabid dogs.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(10-16-2017, 12:08 PM)TheUberHuber Wrote: Go start a thread about it. This is about mike Mitchell.

"But what about...duh... da t oder guy... uh duh...." says every Steelers fan ever.

Isn't that what all the bitching by Bengals fans on here amounts to, though? I mean, most of the butthurt I see here and over in JN is comparing it to the treatment of Burfict. Trying to talk about dirty hits by Steelers players is this same sentiment.

I want consistency in the way these things are penalized because one of the reasons I don't watch many games or spend any money with the NFL is just that and how it creates an unfair situation among the teams. But we all ought to be careful throwing stones in our glass houses.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2017, 12:44 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Isn't that what all the bitching by Bengals fans on here amounts to, though? I mean, most of the butthurt I see here and over in JN is comparing it to the treatment of Burfict. Trying to talk about dirty hits by Steelers players is this same sentiment.

I want consistency in the way these things are penalized because one of the reasons I don't watch many games or spend any money with the NFL is just that and how it creates an unfair situation among the teams. But we all ought to be careful throwing stones in our glass houses.

You're correct in your assessment.  Having said that, Mitchell and Burfict are very similar players.  The thing that irritates me, is one of those guys is heavily scrutinized (and rightfully so, although he IS making a conscientious effort to clean up his act), and the other isn't.  That is a GLARING inconsistency in rulings.  Now, the question is, why is that so?

Reply/Quote
(10-16-2017, 12:41 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Given the evasive maneuvers by Smith, I assumed Mitchell wasn't very balanced in his scrambling, which would likely allow for 56 to throw off his balance with a shove.

On the replay, there's insufficient evidence to overturn the call on the field (I'm speaking as if I am reviewing it... I know penalties can't be reviewed). 

I also watched this in real time, not 100 times on the internet after the game. I just said what it looked like to me. I appreciate your common sense approach to it, but man, some of the Bengals fans here are like rabid dogs.

I get it, you’re trying to get us riled up in here. But in doing so, you too are seemingly exuding a lack of common sense. Anyone who truly believes that brush of a hand on his back was the reason he torpedoed into smiths legs, loses all credibility. So it only makes sense you’re just trying to get a charge out of us. I hope for your sake that is what you’re doing.

Reply/Quote
(10-16-2017, 12:49 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: You're correct in your assessment.  Having said that, Mitchell and Burfict are very similar players.  The thing that irritates me, is one of those guys is heavily scrutinized (and rightfully so, although he IS making a conscientious effort to clean up his act), and the other isn't.  That is a GLARING inconsistency in rulings.  Now, the question is, why is that so?

The answer to just about everything the NFL does, or does not do.

[Image: giphy.gif]

The Steelers have a large fanbase, and IIRC, often in the top 2 or 3 in size. That's revenue.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2017, 01:18 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: The answer to just about everything the NFL does, or does not do.

[Image: giphy.gif]

The Steelers have a large fanbase, and IIRC, often in the top 2 or 3 in size. That's revenue.

Nailed it.....you see the "light". ThumbsUp

Reply/Quote
(10-16-2017, 12:41 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Given the evasive maneuvers by Smith, I assumed Mitchell wasn't very balanced in his scrambling, which would likely allow for 56 to throw off his balance with a shove.

Yeah, I have noticed that lol. Maybe we're suffering from *NEPA? 

*(not enough playoff advances) 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2017, 12:44 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Isn't that what all the bitching by Bengals fans on here amounts to, though? I mean, most of the butthurt I see here and over in JN is comparing it to the treatment of Burfict. Trying to talk about dirty hits by Steelers players is this same sentiment.

Has Mitchell played a game yet this year without spearing someone? How about Burfict? You think Burfict should have been suspended for the hit in preseason? Where exactly does the unfair situation lie here? 

Also, I can't speak for other fans on here but all I have done is defended or not defended Burfict on HIS actions. I have never played the whatabouts deflection game.(Ok maybe a little lol) But This thread is not about Burfict or anyone else not name mike Mitchell. If you don't think the hit was dirty or think he shouldn't be suspended I would love to hear why. And no i am not rabid lol
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2017, 01:22 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Nailed it.....you see the "light". ThumbsUp

Oh, it's something I've known for a long time. Pittsburgh fans (note: not just Steelers fans, but fans of Pittsburgh teams overall) should all know about it. While the Steelers have long been a favorite in football, we have the Pirates that suffer due to this sort of thing.

Again, there is a reason I don't spend any money with the NFL (or any sports leagues or teams).
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2017, 01:31 PM)TheUberHuber Wrote: Has Mitchell played a game yet this year without spearing someone? How about Burfict? You think Burfict should have been suspended for the hit in preseason? Where exactly does the unfair situation lie here? 

Also, I can't speak for other fans on here but all I have done is defended or not defended Burfict on HIS actions. I have never played the whatabouts deflection game.(Ok maybe a little lol) But This thread is not about Burfict or anyone else not name mike Mitchell. If you don't think the hit was dirty or think he shouldn't be suspended I would love to hear why. And no i am not rabid lol

Honestly, I couldn't answer your questions about player behavior. The amount of NFL football I have seen this season would probably be about 5 minutes. I was just commenting on the whataboutism complaint and the amount it is on display on the forum overall. I mean, there are threads devoted to it in JN. It's just another form of tribalism playing a huge role in how we perceive the world.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2017, 01:38 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Honestly, I couldn't answer your questions about player behavior. The amount of NFL football I have seen this season would probably be about 5 minutes. I was just commenting on the whataboutism complaint and the amount it is on display on the forum overall. I mean, there are threads devoted to it in JN. It's just another form of tribalism playing a huge role in how we perceive the world.

And I agree with you whole heartily there. 
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2017, 09:38 AM)Belsnickel Wrote:  So, the context is important for one, but immediately dismissed for the other? 

Seems like someone's biases are on full display.
There was no context in Mitchell's other than him being a dirty player!

Typical Steelers fan trying anything to defend their players being pieces of shit!
(10-16-2017, 09:52 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Looks like he gets a solid shove, but, like I said, it's too obscured to be sure. 

Again, why would his own teammate be shoving him?

Wasn't a shove at all, much-less enough to send Mitchell into Smith's knee at full force.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2017, 01:34 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Oh, it's something I've known for a long time. Pittsburgh fans (note: not just Steelers fans, but fans of Pittsburgh teams overall) should all know about it. While the Steelers have long been a favorite in football, we have the Pirates that suffer due to this sort of thing.

Again, there is a reason I don't spend any money with the NFL (or any sports leagues or teams).

It's something I've mused and speculated about, not wanting it to be true.  The more I watch, the more I believe.

Reply/Quote
(10-16-2017, 07:43 AM)6andcounting Wrote: Any thoughts on that Chiefs linebacker that dove down to hit Bell in the knees who was standing straight up and was already wrapped up?

Didn't see it, but that's dirty as hell. 

He must have been stuck in the tractor beam of 'steelers hard-nosed football'. Mellow

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2017, 09:26 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: It looks like 56 shoves him into Smith. Mitchell looks like he falls awkwardly and rolls into Smith. Hard to tell from that angle, but that was what I thought when I saw it live.

If that was a shove, my name is Bo Peep. 

It was a good excuse, is what it was. 

Burfict got "shoved" into Ben's knee once...but no excuses were allowed.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2017, 12:49 PM)Wyche Wrote: You're correct in your assessment.  Having said that, Mitchell and Burfict are very similar players.  The thing that irritates me, is one of those guys is heavily scrutinized (and rightfully so, although he IS making a conscientious effort to clean up his act), and the other isn't.  That is a GLARING inconsistency in rulings.  Now, the question is, why is that so?

Burfict is the current whipping boy of the NFL. They're going to break him and make an example of him since hs is a high profile player. The Steelers and their fans went through the exact same thing with James Harrison several years ago. Harrison left a bad enough fart on the field and he was flagged and fined for it. I get the Bengals fans frustrations when it comes to him, especially the latest suspension. Give it time, he will change, the league will leave him alone and move on to the next example. 
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2017, 02:28 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: Burfict is the current whipping boy of the NFL. They're going to break him and make an example of him since hs is a high profile player. The Steelers and their fans went through the exact same thing with James Harrison several years ago. Harrison left a bad enough fart on the field and he was flagged and fined for it. I get the Bengals fans frustrations when it comes to him, especially the latest suspension. Give it time, he will change, the league will leave him alone and move on to the next example. 

ThumbsUp

Reply/Quote
(10-16-2017, 02:04 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: There was no context in Mitchell's other than him being a dirty player!

Typical Steelers fan trying anything to defend their players being pieces of shit!

And where have I defended Mitchell's actions? I was just pointing out the blatantly biased position of requesting more contextual information on one and dismissing contextual information of the other.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2017, 02:04 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Again, why would his own teammate be shoving him?

Wasn't a shove at all, much-less enough to send Mitchell into Smith's knee at full force.

To take down Smith or just in the heat of the moment? IDK

And I honestly don't know if Mitchell went at Smith's knee with full force. Like I said, we saw it from behind 3 other guys obscuring the view. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote