Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mike Pettine Scared
(12-10-2015, 09:27 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Sometimes it's funnier to watch The Onion's humor fly over a lot of heads here than the actual article itself  Cool

i know, right?  How about the line that says Pettine hopes other teams "lack the personnel to stop Cleveland's 32 ranked run game?"   Hilarious
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2015, 10:20 AM)LebanonFan Wrote: Because sometimes the hilarity of satire is the clearest method of communicating a story.  It's extremely effective.

Actually it isn't.  Many people believe these stories and they get repeated in pieces and parts until the thing becomes twisted and corrupted (more than the onion ever dreamed up).  Then it becomes repeated about a trillion times until people think it's true.

It's why snopes and other websites have to be around to quell the lunacy.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2015, 10:44 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: i know, right?  How about the line that says Pettine hopes other teams "lack the personnel to stop Cleveland's 32 ranked run game?"   Hilarious

Only a Browns fan could fail to see the humor in this.......unless it's actually true  Ninja

(12-11-2015, 10:57 AM)EatonFan Wrote: Actually it isn't.  Many people believe these stories and they get repeated in pieces and parts until the thing becomes twisted and corrupted (more than the onion ever dreamed up).  Then it becomes repeated about a trillion times until people think it's true.

Actually it's humor. Comedy in all probability. Eliminating comedy from the world to protect those who believe in it?
Sounds ........ satirical.

Ninja
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2015, 10:57 AM)EatonFan Wrote: Actually it isn't.  Many people believe these stories and they get repeated in pieces and parts until the thing becomes twisted and corrupted (more than the onion ever dreamed up).  Then it becomes repeated about a trillion times until people think it's true.

I defer to your signature.  To each their own.  

I enjoy satire, but I understand your point.  Just surprised that more people don't recognize the satire, especially when they can plainly see its from the Onion, SNL or The Daily Show.  In all satire, however, written properly, there is by definition an underlying truth beneath the humor.  It's a writing style that has been effectively used since ancient Greek times.  
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2015, 01:16 PM)LebanonFan Wrote: I defer to your signature.  To each their own.  

I enjoy satire, but I understand your point.  Just surprised that more people don't recognize the satire, especially when they can plainly see its from the Onion, SNL or The Daily Show.  In all satire, however, written properly, there is by definition an underlying truth beneath the humor.  It's a writing style that has been effectively used since ancient Greek times.  

Indeed! It's a defense mechanism for some that helps maintain sanity. And being surprised by those who don't at least "recognize" it is a very kind way of putting it.

Reply/Quote
Some of the greatest writers in history were satirists.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
The two reasons I have a twitter account: Bengals/Reds news and The Onion's hilarity. The headlines alone are outstanding.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2015, 09:27 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Sometimes it's funnier to watch The Onion's humor fly over a lot of heads here than the actual article itself  Cool

Made funnier by the fact that when I scroll down, this is the title of the next article.... "Broncos Quietly Bury Peyton Manning In Unmarked Grave Next To Stadium"

Yup, seems legit to me guys.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2015, 04:11 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Made funnier by the fact that when I scroll down, this is the title of the next article.... "Broncos Quietly Bury Peyton Manning In Unmarked Grave Next To Stadium"

That didn't happen though ? Ninja
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2015, 04:11 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Made funnier by the fact that when I scroll down, this is the title of the next article.... "Broncos Quietly Bury Peyton Manning In Unmarked Grave Next To Stadium"

The least they could've done was drive a stake in the ground......just to give a dog something to pee on

Reply/Quote

one to many chicken parms..... (to the nationwide jingle)
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2015, 10:16 AM)EatonFan Wrote: I think the onion should be shut down.  It serves NO purpose other than to spread falsehoods which surprisingly stick.  I just don't get why it even exists.  I guess making fun of people is funny, but I've never thought so.

How can you say such a thing? The onion has provided me with so much enjoyment over the years.  

My dad used to get it when it was just an actual newspaper...and as a teenager, he would show me all of the crazy stories.  I thought they were real and I'm sure he got a huge kick out of it.  When I see really good onion articles, I still show him.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote

Then we should get rid of stupid people...not the obvious satirical humor that they fall for. 

Sorry tswigz.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2015, 10:35 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: How can you say such a thing? The onion has provided me with so much enjoyment over the years.  

My dad used to get it when it was just an actual newspaper...and as a teenager, he would show me all of the crazy stories.  I thought they were real and I'm sure he got a huge kick out of it.  When I see really good onion articles, I still show him.

Agreed. It's mainstream enough that most people know about it. Whenever I see someone quote it as facts, I pretty much know the intelligence level I'm dealing with. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote