Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Mike Rowe get's it.
(12-22-2015, 03:34 PM)Au165 Wrote:  Whats your background in recruiting and hiring, directly that is, not things people who didn't get jobs told you?

The places I worked where it was nice to work did not have much turnover.

Every single place I ever worked where there was high turnover it was because it was a shitty place to work.
Something don't seem quite right with any of these arguments from anyone.

People are arguing that there are millions of people looking for work but there aren't any jobs then the other side is that there are millions of jobs but no qualified workers.

So, which is it?

The only reason I ask is because the unemployment rate keeps dropping yet all these people are looking for work and can't find it or there are all these jobs out there going unfilled.

So who's not telling the truth?

This is a loaded question by the way, lol.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
(12-24-2015, 04:58 AM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Something don't seem quite right with any of these arguments from anyone.

People are arguing that there are millions of people looking for work but there aren't any jobs then the other side is that there are millions of jobs but no qualified workers.

So, which is it?

The only reason I ask is because the unemployment rate keeps dropping yet all these people are looking for work and can't find it or there are all these jobs out there going unfilled.

So who's not telling the truth?

This is a loaded question by the way, lol.
both.

and that's why it's hard to find a real solution. There are a lot of empty, no skill jobs. Unfortunately it doesn't make sense to work them for some people because you can either make more off social aide or it costs more to work once you factor in transportation, choldcare, etc. If you make under $9 an hour and have to put more than one kid in day care, you're working just to break even.

on the other hand, there's a large section of workers who have degrees and want to work, but there's no jobs in their field. Or at least not for the salary they need to pay down student loans. Or maybe there are jobs but not in their area.

and then there's the empty jobs that take skilled workers that we aren't training. In some areas a plumber can make more than a doctor because there just aren't enough people going into that field.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(12-23-2015, 09:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The places I worked where it was nice to work did not have much turnover.

Every single place I ever worked where there was high turnover it was because it was a shitty place to work.

Anecdotal..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(12-24-2015, 09:58 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Anecdotal..

Same as AU165's comments.

BTW do you disagree with what i said?

All I know is that more people apply for jobs than get hired for them.  the fact that there is a job opening does not mean that there is no one applying for it.  when you look at all the people going to temp agencied and the unemployment office looking for jobs it is clear that there are not a bunch of empty jobs just because people refuse to work.  That is just a lie.

There are jobs that require a lot of skill and education that are harder to fill.  Buut even with these positions there are more people applying for them than getting hired.
(12-24-2015, 11:15 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Same as AU165's comments.

BTW do you disagree with what i said?

All I know is that more people apply for jobs than get hired for them.  the fact that there is a job opening does not mean that there is no one applying for it.  when you look at all the people going to temp agencied and the unemployment office looking for jobs it is clear that there are not a bunch of empty jobs just because people refuse to work.  That is just a lie.

There are jobs that require a lot of skill and education that are harder to fill.  Buut even with these positions there are more people applying for them than getting hired.

What I think is that landing a job that provides for a family takes a personal commitment.  I think many don't want to make that sort of commitment to themselves.  Weather it be giving up smoking dope in order to pass a drug screen, being willing to work out of town and sacrifice personal time, or even to educate oneself to become qualified for a particular position.  It takes a commitment to success.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23