Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mike Sherman
We need to bring this great offensive mind here. They miss Sherman in Miami:

'Sherman, of course, was an essential part of the Dolphins' targeting and drafting of quarterback Ryan Tannehill. Tannehill played for Sherman at Texas A&M, where Sherman served as the head coach from 2008 to 2011. Sherman would then join Tannehill in Miami and served as the team's offensive coordinator for two seasons.

Sherman's greatest contribution over those two seasons was the revelation that his offensive snap count was a "go" for pass plays and "go-go" for run plays. Without fail, defenders would jump Miami's plays and the team seems obvious as to why. Dolphins head coach Joe Philbin would reluctantly cave to the pressure to relieve Sherman of his duties after the 2013 NFL season.

The two years Sherman spent in Miami were so bad that Sherman spent three of the next five years completely out of football - and two years as a high school coach.'

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/former-dolphins-assistant-mike-sherman-fired-by-montreal-alouettes/ar-AACCdEX
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2019, 02:15 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Lets see:

Texas A&M fired him as HC after 4 years.
The Dolphins then hired and fired him as OC after 2 years. He produced the 27th best offense in the NFL.
Then he went to coach at a high school...and after 2 years had a 4-18 record and re-signed.
Then, he went to the CFL and was fired as HC after 1 season and a 5-13 season...shortly before the next season began.

But...you guys recognize his name so you want him here because you think he'll help. He's been TERRIBLE at EVERY stop since the Packers.

And with the Packers, he was fired as HC and they replaced him as GM.

:andy:

I could see some being excited for Jeff Fisher.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2019, 01:36 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Huh?

hue was fired from the raiders..

hired by the bengals as a DB assistant coach

then became the RB coach the following year.
Reply/Quote

The Dolphins then hired and fired him as OC after 2 years. He produced the 27th best offense in the NFL.
Then he went to coach at a high school...and after 2 years had a 4-18 record and re-signed.
Then, he went to the CFL and was fired as HC after 1 season and a 5-13 season...shortly before the next season began.

But...you guys recognize his name so you want him here because you think he'll help. He's been TERRIBLE at EVERY stop since the Packers.

...and Jack del Rio only posted 1 winning record over his past 7 seasons as head coach, but plenty of people wanted him here as well. I think it'd be pretty hypocritical to pine away for JDR while instantly dismissing Sherman.

Nobody's advocating hiring Sherman to any major position. He has a history as a good offensive line coach, which just so happens to be one of the most glaring weaknesses on the team. If you can create a position for the guy (which the Bengals have done before... Hue Jackson before taking over as OC) I don't see the harm in doing it.

What's the biggest knock against the new Bengals staff? A lack of experience. Mike Sherman has decades of experience, a winning resume in the NFL, and a couple of playoff wins. I think you can get some use out of him in a special advisor type role.
Reply/Quote

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but no one wants Sherman here as OC or HC, right?
They want him here to help the OL?

If so, bringing up his failures as OC and HC seems irrelevant. Look at Hue Jackson as a good example. He was a very bad HC. His strengths lie in his ability to coordinate an offense. 
Mike Munchak is another example. Dude wasn't a good HC but he could coach OL rather well.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2019, 10:24 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but no one wants Sherman here as OC or HC, right?
They want him here to help the OL?

If so, bringing up his failures as OC and HC seems irrelevant. Look at Hue Jackson as a good example. He was a very bad HC. His strengths lie in his ability to coordinate an offense. 
Mike Munchak is another example. Dude wasn't a good HC but he could coach OL rather well.

We have an offensive line coach and an assistant offensive line coach. Do we need a 3rd offensive line coach?

And his offensive line coaching experience was from 1989 to 1996 in college. How do you know 'he could coach OL rather well'. That was a LONG TIME ago.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2019, 10:28 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We have an offensive line coach and an assistant offensive line coach. Do we need a 3rd offensive line coach?

And his offensive line coaching experience was from 1989 to 1996 in college. How do you know 'he could coach OL rather well'. That was a LONG TIME ago.

When I said, "He could coach OL rather well," that was in reference to Munchak.

As for Sherman not coaching OL since 20+ years ago, it seems this staff wants to be more smashmouth offense anyway, so the older style may fit well. Plus, bringing in Sherman would give a(nother) person who can work individually with a guy to groom him up. Given how much work Bobby Hart needs, having someone work with him full-time might not be a bad idea if this team really believes he can grow into a good RT.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-11-2019, 10:28 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We have an offensive line coach and an assistant offensive line coach. Do we need a 3rd offensive line coach?

Considering how many people are vocal in their disdain for our current offensive line coach, why not?

Marvin Lewis hadn't been a defensive coordinator since 2002 but I had no problems when he picked up the responsibilities last year and I'd still hire him to the position today.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2019, 12:47 PM)NKURyan Wrote: Considering how many people are vocal in their disdain for our current offensive line coach, why not?

Marvin Lewis hadn't been a defensive coordinator since 2002 but I had no problems when he picked up the responsibilities last year and I'd still hire him to the position today.

I've read that Sherman and Turner are actually cousins. We could be the 1st team in the NFL with cousins co-coaching an offensive line!

https://www.chron.com/sports/aggies/article/Report-Bengals-expected-hire-Texas-A-M-Jim-Turner-13593950.php
Reply/Quote
I'm pretty sure its the Callaghan's dad we wanted.

but sure bring him on as an a special assistant / quality control guy..
Reply/Quote
You can always find a spot on the staff for a 63 year old guy that was fired from the CFL after 1 season for refusing to change!
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2019, 11:31 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Would he be a solid addition to the scouting department?

(06-09-2019, 04:15 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep. Fired for refusing to make changes. Stay with the young staff we have now.

If anuthing... make him a scout and keep him away from the stadium.

Scouting department, that was my initial reaction, as well.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2019, 07:42 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: You can always find a spot on the staff for a 63 year old guy that was fired from the CFL after 1 season for refusing to change!

Or don't hire him at all, which is exactly what seems to be the case, rendering this entire thread moot and ir-*****-relevant.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(06-12-2019, 05:50 PM)McC Wrote: Or don't hire him at all, which is exactly what seems to be the case, rendering this entire thread moot and ir-*****-relevant.

well it definitely is very unlikely with us already supporting our historically large coaching staff.
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2019, 05:50 PM)McC Wrote: Or don't hire him at all, which is exactly what seems to be the case, rendering this entire thread moot and ir-*****-relevant.

Really, let's make some more shit up to piss and moan about how bad the Bengals are.....
Reply/Quote