Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mike Wallace....thoughts?
Could be a possibility the Ravens release him in order to help their salary cap.
The Bengals are lacking that top.end burner
He's still.got plenty of juice left just ask the Steelers about that 80.yard plus TD catch last year
He wouldn't cost a ton and would give this WR CORE a real jolt of speed
He could feast on the other teams 3rd or 4th CB.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2017, 12:04 AM)impactplaya Wrote: Could be a possibility the Ravens release him in order to help their salary cap.
He's still.got plenty of juice left just ask the Steelers about that 80.yard plus TD catch last year

I kinda like him. He needed Antonio Brown to be good. He'd have AJ Green here for that.

He adds the deep threat element that Lafell doesn't.

If I could have Wallace or Lafell...it's a tough choice.
Reply/Quote
I would take any number 2 receiver over lafell.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2017, 12:18 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I kinda like him. He needed Antonio Brown to be good. He'd have AJ Green here for that.

He adds the deep threat element that Lafell doesn't.

If I could have Wallace or Lafell...it's a tough choice.

See, that's not actually true.
In 2010, Wallace put up 60 catches/1,257 yards (21.0 YPC)/10 TD.
Antonio Brown that year? 16 catches/167 yards (10.4 YPC)/0 TD.

Mike Wallace wrecked his own career with bad choices in FA. He's a guy whose game is built around his speed. So what did he do? In FA he chose Ryan Tannehill and Teddy Bridgewater as his QBs.

A guy who has great speed choosing two QBs who can't throw deep balls. If he had chosen to take less money and go to Green Bay or Carolina, he'd probably still be a star.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2017, 10:20 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: See, that's not actually true.

Mike Wallace wrecked his own career with bad choices in FA. He's a guy whose game is built around his speed. So what did he do? In FA he chose Ryan Tannehill and Teddy Bridgewater as his QBs.

A guy who has great speed choosing two QBs who can't throw deep balls. If he had chosen to take less money and go to Green Bay or Carolina, he'd probably still be a star.

Ok...he needed Roethlisberger to be good.

I don't know that Dalton is the ideal QB to throw deep passes to him. Green relies on athleticism and crazy catches to pull some in.

I would be ok with bringing him in though.
Reply/Quote

Nailed this one...and I think Dalton could absolutely get him the ball deep better than Tannehill and Bridgewater.  I just kind of wonder if he still has the speed after leaving the steelers...no juice, no speed?

If he came in and ran a 4.3 forty yard dash, I might be very interested in him.  I seriously doubt he has the same speed he used to, though.  In the immortal words of Jay Gruden (in a conversation where I was trying to gauge his interest in Wallace as a FA the first time around):  "he scares the shit out of people".
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2017, 12:12 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Nailed this one...and I think Dalton could absolutely get him the ball deep better than Tannehill and Bridgewater.  I just kind of wonder if he still has the speed after leaving the steelers...no juice, no speed?

If he came in and ran a 4.3 forty yard dash, I might be very interested in him.  I seriously doubt he has the same speed he used to, though.  In the immortal words of Jay Gruden (in a conversation where I was trying to gauge his interest in Wallace as a FA the first time around):  "he scares the shit out of people".

That's why he's even being mentioned again. People stopped talking about him for three years. Then he finally learns his damn lesson (maybe) and goes to Baltimore where Flacco has an arm. Sure enough, puts up the most yards and the highest AVG he's had since he left the Steelers, despite being 30. Don't think he will be what he used to be again due to aging, but I think he still has plus speed.

I am pretty curious as to what his career would have looked like if he spent the entirety of it with a QB who had a strong arm.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2017, 01:23 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: That's why he's even being mentioned again. People stopped talking about him for three years. Then he finally learns his damn lesson (maybe) and goes to Baltimore where Flacco has an arm. Sure enough, puts up the most yards and the highest AVG he's had since he left the Steelers, despite being 30. Don't think he will be what he used to be again due to aging, but I think he still has plus speed.

I am pretty curious as to what his career would have looked like if he spent the entirety of it with a QB who had a strong arm.

No just the QB with the strong arm, but he needed other weapons to take the focus away from just him getting deep.  When you have a combination of someone with his vertical speed and a player that can do it all like AJ Green or Antonio Brown, you have a special combination.

That's a part of why I think the Bengals should go after Pryor.
Reply/Quote

In his defense, the Dolphins and Vikings both had 1st round QBs under center that needed a WR to keep defenses honest, right?  It's not like he took a mint to have Brian Hoyer and Case Keenum toss ducks his way.
Reply/Quote
I like him and I like DeSean Jackson. Jackson will cost a lot more than can be realistically expected of this team to pay. Wallace, maybe not, but still unlikely.

I thought he was a perfect replacement for Jones last year. He's what they need badly, i.e. a speed threat on the outside. He's a one trick pony, but it's the trick the Bengals just can't pull off with any of these guys now. LaFell (if he returns), Boyd, and Core all can contribute, but they don't have the speed of Jones or Wallace to be burners on the outside. I'd let LaFell walk and add hm in a second if it were up to me.
Reply/Quote
He fits the bill as a cut vet, extends the field and surprisingly has only missed 1 game in eight years. I actually wanted him last year but if nothing else he's another alternative to bidding on Lafell. If they cut him before FA hits, they can negotiate and speed up the process with Lafell. It would be nice to have one less hole to fill early on, and Boyd able to focus on being the best slot man he can be in his 2nd year.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2017, 12:04 AM)impactplaya Wrote: Could be a possibility the Ravens release him in order to help their salary cap.

Yeah, Wallace it just the type of receiver we need. Doesn't have the best hands but his speed is great, one of the best still.

Would make Defenses respect the deep pass and open up the run game with Green on the otherside.
Reply/Quote
Can he play center?
Reply/Quote
Will he be cheap, and available week 3 of FA?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2017, 02:02 AM)Jpoore Wrote: I would take any number 2 receiver over lafell.

You would take a 49ers receiver over LaFell? Quinton Patton and Jeremy Kerley are not better than LaFell. Torrey Smith MIGHT be, but he sure hasn't done much lately. He hasn't reached 800 yards since his second-to-last year in Baltimore.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2017, 11:00 AM)ochocincos Wrote: You would take a 49ers receiver over LaFell? Quinton Patton and Jeremy Kerley are not better than LaFell. Torrey Smith MIGHT be, but he sure hasn't done much lately. He hasn't reached 800 yards since his second-to-last year in Baltimore.

Yeah I would take Kerley over lafell.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2017, 12:25 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Yeah I would take Kerley over lafell.

May I ask why? Kerley is a small slot receiver only (5'8", 188 lbs). LaFell, while not a fast receiver, can line up in multiple spots due to his size (6'3", 210 lb).

Jeremy Kerley's best season was 827 yards and 2 TDs, and that was in 2012.
He's never had more than 667 yards in a season besides that.
He's never had more than 3 TDs in a season.

Brandon LaFell has surpassed Kerley's best season twice (953 yds in 2014, 862 yds in 2016).
He's also had another season of greater than 667 yards (677 yds in 2012).
Brandon LaFell has had 4+ TDs in four of his seven seasons.

You can't even use the argument that Kerley is faster than LaFell. In fact, he had a worse 40 time than LaFell (4.56 vs 4.54).

The Bengals don't need another slot receiver. They need outside WR to keep Boyd mostly in the slot.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-23-2017, 12:25 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Yeah I would take Kerley over lafell.

Damn dude, you have some serious baseless hate for Lafell man.

(02-23-2017, 02:59 PM)ochocincos Wrote: May I ask why? Kerley is a small slot receiver only (5'8", 188 lbs). LaFell, while not a fast receiver, can line up in multiple spots due to his size (6'3", 210 lb).

Brandon LaFell has surpassed Kerley's best season twice (953 yds in 2014, 862 yds in 2016).

You can't even use the argument that Kerley is faster than LaFell. In fact, he had a worse 40 time than LaFell (4.56 vs 4.54).

The Bengals don't need another slot receiver. They need outside WR to keep Boyd mostly in the slot.

Plus last year was Lafell's first year in a new system with a new QB. Dude played really well for us.

I would not be against adding a true threat on the otherside of Green but first things first...

Dalton needs time and we need holes in the running game.
Reply/Quote
We will lose Whit and Z , maybe overpay for Dre, have a lot for rookie pool and roll over, but no way will they sign a quality WR like either of these two guys.

Have you been watching how the Bengals operate since Paul Brown died?
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2017, 02:59 PM)ochocincos Wrote: May I ask why? Kerley is a small slot receiver only (5'8", 188 lbs). LaFell, while not a fast receiver, can line up in multiple spots due to his size (6'3", 210 lb).

I have at least seen Kerley try to go up and over a defender to catch a ball. Say what u want stats and what not but if aj hadn't gone down lafell wouldn't have broken 750 imo. And that's a high number. My problem with a number 2 is u have to try and go up and over a defender to catch the ball. Watch lafell highlights his game tape. Never seen him once in 2016 go up over a defender to catch a ball. Also u were getting one on one coverage a lot. U should be able to beat that. Marvin Jones at least tried. Hell in the bills game right after green got hurt when Andy threw that pick lafell didn't even try to interrupt the pick. He has a lack of effort imo. That's why I would take a slot receiver as our number 2 over lafell. They will actually try to go up for the ball lafell will not. It's also why I want our number 9 pick to be Williams.
Reply/Quote