Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mike Williams
(04-04-2016, 06:41 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: He had problems during college at Syracuse.  It's a pattern that keeps repeating.

You do make a great, and valid point.  He has had problems all along.  However, sometimes going from being a professional athlete, to unemployed, can have an effect on a man, causing him to reconsider his way of doing things.

I realize that Adam Jones may not be the perfect example, as his name has been in the news a few times, for non athletic reasons, since coming to the Bengals.  However, for all that I can see, his is an asset to the team, and looked upon favorably by his teammates.  Perhaps taking a chance on a guy like Mike Williams could pay off similar dividends?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
He's come up on the boards over the past 2 offseasons. Really had an incredible start to his career (better than anything MLJ or Sanu had done), but tbh the reasons for his fall aren't exactly well known. Could be attitude related and the suspension probably didn't help. He fell off the radar and into the dog house in Buffalo.

He's probably worth a flyer as a low-risk high-reward guy. If he looks great in camp, he really could be a bargain. Maybe the Bengals just realize from past experience that rookie WRs don't contribute much.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2016, 08:00 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: He's come up on the boards over the past 2 offseasons. Really had an incredible start to his career (better than anything MLJ or Sanu had done), but tbh the reasons for his fall aren't exactly well known. Could be attitude related and the suspension probably didn't help. He fell off the radar and into the dog house in Buffalo.

He's probably worth a flyer as a low-risk high-reward guy. If he looks great in camp, he really could be a bargain. Maybe the Bengals just realize from past experience that rookie WRs don't contribute much.

If I remember right, his fall was a product of the Schiano fiasco down there in Tampa. I've always been a fan of the guy, would be interested in seeing him play in preseason.
Reply/Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFBJDhLfzks

Some highlights of him when he was with the Bucs. I saw one highlight where he pretty much mossed two of our dbacks.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
(04-04-2016, 08:05 PM)milksheikh Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFBJDhLfzks

Some highlights of him when he was with the Bucs. I saw one highlight where he pretty much mossed two of our dbacks.

Awesome.  But, it's not his football skills that anyone is having doubts on..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2016, 05:50 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Ehhh.. 29-year-old who didn't play last year and has only played 15 games in the last three years overall. Not really excited about that at all.

When we signed Pacman he had only played 9 games in 3 years. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-04-2016, 08:21 PM)bfine32 Wrote: When we signed Pacman he had only played 9 games in 3 years. 

Good point.

Reply/Quote
He got stabbed by his own brother!! Sad

That was part of the reason for his layoff. Also suspended by the NFL for undisclosed reasons.

I'm surprised we're even looking at him.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2016, 08:42 PM)Shady Wrote: He got stabbed by his own brother!!  Sad

That was part of the reason for his layoff. Also suspended by the NFL for undisclosed reasons.

Nah, Father Marvin has a special place for guys like that.  It's called the roster.. Ninja

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2016, 08:21 PM)bfine32 Wrote: When we signed Pacman he had only played 9 games in 3 years. 

What's that saying about going to the well one to many times?
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2016, 09:14 PM)Nately120 Wrote: What's that saying about going to the well one to many times?

No doubt, but I think Lewis, Tobin, et al have looked at enough head cases that they've actually gotten reasonably decent at realizing just how conservative they have to be in their assessments ( which is never a science in any event).  It's just working out at this point - if he passes the gauntlet of physical workouts, interviews, etc. and they sign him (for what I can't imagine would be more than vet minimum), fine.  I'll hope they found a gem but won't be surprised if he gets cut in preseason.  I'm not going to get to worked up either way until we actually see something, but I'm happy to give them the benefit of the doubt.
Reply/Quote
If we sign him I will be really excited, but if we don't I'm not going to worry too much. The only way I see us signing him is if Marvin and co. think that he will be like a Adam Jones story. If we do sign him I think that Williams and LaFell would be better than Jones and Sanu lol.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2016, 08:42 PM)Shady Wrote: He got stabbed by his own brother!!  Sad

Williams is a big low-risk high-reward player. The guy has immense talent. He just needs to get his head pointed in the right direction. If anything, I'd have Pacman and Whitworth sit him down and talk to him.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2016, 08:44 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Nah, Father Marvin has a special place for guys like that.  It's called the roster.. Ninja

Nah, Marvin saves those roster spots for ST players who offer little to no value to offense or defense.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
This guy has always been very talented but with him being a head case and not playing much the
last few years i am not as excited as i would of been. Not a bad idea to kick the tires on this dude
though. If he has kept in shape he is way more talented than Tate.

Not a bad thought at all.

To those saying if we sign him we won't be looking for a WR at 24 i disagree.

Just more insurance and competition, good for the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2016, 08:05 PM)milksheikh Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFBJDhLfzks

After watching his highlights Mike Williams might have more talent than Brandon Lafell.

His ability to adjust to the ball is amazing. Great at going up for the ball. Plays physical and has great sideline toes.

Also looks very good at YAC. Hope this guy pans out, man, could be a great core if we add a top rookie in the Draft.
Reply/Quote
He was supposed to be suspended for the first 3 games of 2015 season. Does that carry over to 2016 since he did not play in '15?
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2016, 05:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He was supposed to be suspended for the first 3 games of 2015 season. Does that carry over to 2016 since he did not play in '15?

Hope not.

This man had almost 2 1,000 yard seasons in his first 3 years and then injuries hurt him and off-the-field stuff.

I hope we can sign him and get him back on track, will be interesting to watch if he signs.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
(04-05-2016, 05:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He was supposed to be suspended for the first 3 games of 2015 season. Does that carry over to 2016 since he did not play in '15?

according to the PFT article it seems his suspension has been served
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2016, 07:02 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You do make a great, and valid point.  He has had problems all along.  However, sometimes going from being a professional athlete, to unemployed, can have an effect on a man, causing him to reconsider his way of doing things.

I realize that Adam Jones may not be the perfect example, as his name has been in the news a few times, for non athletic reasons, since coming to the Bengals.  However, for all that I can see, his is an asset to the team, and looked upon favorably by his teammates.  Perhaps taking a chance on a guy like Mike Williams could pay off similar dividends?

Stanley Wilson.  Adam Jones.

Players we depended upon who revealed their true character when it mattered the most.  Granted everyone played a part in those two losses, but two talented head cases played especially prominent roles.

Not being an idiot under pressure is an underrated skill because it can't be measured with a stop watch or tape measure.
Reply/Quote