Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mike is setting everyone up for heartache
(03-28-2017, 12:43 AM)Whatever Wrote: Honestly, I can't feel bad for the St.Louis and Oakland contingents.  St.Louis went through this with the Cardinals, and Oakland went through it before with the Raiders.  If you're going to pony up the money to lure a team back to your city, then you should've spent the money to keep your team in the first place.

The reality of the Bengals situation is that if the city won't come up with a stadium deal, another city where the club can make more money will.  

I think there's something to be said for loyalty. Fans are expected to show loyalty when the chips are down, yet teams can't hang around for awhile and try to make things work? How long were these teams really trying to get a stadium deal done? They can't make some concessions to return the loyalty these cities have shown them through the years? The reality is that the loyalty is one-sided. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I feel bad for the fans of the teams that are moving or have moved already. If the bengals ever leave cincy I don't think I could root for them anymore.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2017, 12:59 AM)magikod Wrote: I feel bad for the fans of the teams that are moving or have moved already. If the bengals ever leave cincy I don't think I could root for them anymore.

I could never root for the St louis Bengals or Mexico City Bengals or could I ever root for another team in 'Nati not named the Bengals. It would be over for me.
Reply/Quote
Bengals screwed the city and in the end can't even use it for real money makers like the NCAA Final Four.

Two outdoor stadiums and a dilapidated Riverfront Coliseum...errr...U.S. Bank a-reamer.

Retractable dome could have paid for itself with the right kind of events - Indy hosted a Super Bowl because they could.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2017, 02:01 AM)bengalhoel Wrote: I could never root for the St louis Bengals or Mexico City Bengals or could I ever root for another team in 'Nati not named the Bengals. It would be over for me.

Yah I agree, it just wouldn't be the same. 
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
Would be crushed as a fan.

Definitely would not only not follow Bengals as a fan and they would even become more hated by me than the steelers.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
But have to admit that we are lucky somewhat. 

If I were Brown and people were flying hate banners around the stadium,  as well as dedicating web sites, vans circling the stadium, signs, and fans standing on soap boxes during the game,  all spewing MB hate in the 90's ?

Would have moved in a heart beat. 

Not saying some of it was not deserved but to the degree it evolved was insane and hope it never returns to that. 

Would rather them leave than go through  the those days again. 

Hope they never leave but if so ? Will just become a college football only fan most likely. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 11:00 PM)eoxyod Wrote: A team would never come to Cincy again if the Bengals left

True, Columbus perhaps, but not Cincinnati.   

I sure wouldn't want them to leave, but would I be completely shocked if they did?  Not really.  It is all about who has the most money and our owners made their money creating the team.  They don't have some huge industry outside of the team, so if they are asked to pony up the majority of money to build a new stadium to stay here vs. have a free stadium somewhere else they wouldn't think twice about it.

I guess I keep wondering where else could support a team?  There would have to be some local tie but I don't the Louisville or Columbus could do it.  Oddly, one scenario I could see would be a second team in Chicago but I doubt many Chicago folks would be lining up for Bengals tickets.  They love their Bears.  
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 09:51 PM)eoxyod Wrote: The odd thing is even if the Bengals moved to Louisville (My current city), I don't know if I would even still like them.

I'm in Louisville as well. If they moved here, well, they won't. Did you know Louisville is the biggest city in the country without a top tier Professional Sports team of any kind? Closest thing we have is triple A baseball courtesy of the Reds.
And I'm not sure what MB meant by "can you imagine what it would be like if we were still in Riverfront?" The money spent on PBS could have paid for huge upgrades to Riverfront. Always seemed stupid to me to just tear it down and start over if they weren't going with a dome.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 08:14 PM)RASCAL Wrote: hey elmer fudd, no other city would put up with your stupidity about football.

Yeah, who would want a perennial playoff team like the Bengals when they could get the Rams instead?
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 08:35 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Maybe the Raiders could send that $300+ million relocation fee on a new stadium?

I heard the news this morning, and the stadium that is being built is 2 Billion dollars.  2 Billion dollars.  I am lost for words.  Football was for the common man, and corporations played a small roll in advertisement etc, but now it is all about money it appears.  2 Billion dollars, going to entertainment in just 1 stadium there is something fundamentally wrong with this mindset, when there are people, living on the streets with kids going hungry and education at the level it is...  and tax payers will be paying for a new stadium.. Something is not adding up.  Big business always try to make more and more money, and I am afraid the NFL has become Money Hungry myself. 
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2017, 12:52 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I think there's something to be said for loyalty. Fans are expected to show loyalty when the chips are down, yet teams can't hang around for awhile and try to make things work? How long were these teams really trying to get a stadium deal done? They can't make some concessions to return the loyalty these cities have shown them through the years? The reality is that the loyalty is one-sided. 

Loyalty? My only question is those who refuse to go to the stadium and buy tickets, refuse to support the owner/team, do you consider them loyal?
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2017, 09:09 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Yeah, who would want a perennial playoff team like the Bengals when they could get the Rams instead?

You mean these Rams?

[Image: rams-super-bowl-ring.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 08:06 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: Better hope he dies before 2025, or the cincy bengals are toast

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/03/27/mike-brown-supports-raiders-move-las-vegas/99704536/

Best quote

“If we hadn’t been able to get (the Paul Brown Stadium deal) done we would have had to think about doing something different, too,” Brown said. “So, I understand it when these teams are up against it. This is one that tried in their hometown and couldn’t get it put together so they felt they had no other option but to move.”

Mike Brown has caused me a lot of heartburn but I'm not going hope for his death.
Reply/Quote
I saw a tweet that said: "With the Raiders move to Las Vegas, the largest city without a professional football team is Cleveland."

....Hilarious!
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 11:00 PM)eoxyod Wrote: A team would never come to Cincy again if the Bengals left

I tend to agree, but who knows? After watching Los Angeles, a town that never had the desire to support it's two pro teams before get two teams again, I'd never say never.  I don't think much has changed with LA or their fans since, and despite their insanely huge population, feel that the current NFL experiment there will fail as the old one did. If those teams don't get really good really fast, then the stadiums will be empty in short order. Too much other stuff to spend time and money on out there.  Vegas is kind of a joke, too.  Not that many people really live in the metroplex and their economy is driven by tourists.  

I think that just about any good sized city willing to pony up money for a stadium has a shot an getting an NFL franchise.  The question is whether Cincinnati would want to go down that road again.  The population is as capable as any of supporting a pro team.  The Brown family's relationship with the city and their antipathy toward the fanbase have cost them in terms of loyalty IMO. The inability to sell corporate seats at the club level or to sell out in down years is largely the result of this.  A new ownership group would get the benefit of the doubt for simply not being the Brown family for the first few seasons.

I wouldn't bet a house payment on it, but if someone guaranteed me that Cincinnati would get a new NFL team with a new ownership group within 5-7 years of cutting bait with the Brown family, I'd say have at it.  I'd give up almost a decade of football in Cincinnati to watch them leave.
Reply/Quote
Seems the relocation fees from the three teams will net the Bengals $50 million. Not bad work if you can get it.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
I honestly believe Mike Brown sleeps well at night knowing he's the most hated man in the city of Cincinnati.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2017, 09:17 AM)Marlon23 Wrote: I heard the news this morning, and the stadium that is being built is 2 Billion dollars.  2 Billion dollars.  I am lost for words.  Football was for the common man, and corporations played a small roll in advertisement etc, but now it is all about money it appears.  2 Billion dollars, going to entertainment in just 1 stadium there is something fundamentally wrong with this mindset, when there are people, living on the streets with kids going hungry and education at the level it is...  and tax payers will be paying for a new stadium.. Something is not adding up.  Big business always try to make more and more money, and I am afraid the NFL has become Money Hungry myself. 

It is insanity.  At some point, a stand needs to be taken.  Why are we, the citizens, expected to build stadiums for billionaires so that they can then sell us tickets to come watch their product in the stadium that we built?  You have school programs being cut, but "we" need to help out a bunch of guys who are in the top 1/10 of 1%?  Any of these guys has the ability to build their own stadiums, and they should do so.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2017, 10:32 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: I honestly believe Mike Brown sleeps well at night knowing he's the most hated man in the city of Cincinnati.

If I were a billionaire, or close to it, I'd sleep well too.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote