Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Military Bros- Dare To Soar Challenge Coin?!
Alright, so this bro drives by every day in this little black car and always throws up the peace sign out of his sunroof.

I always think he's doing it just to show me love and so that I know he sees me.

Last night, he pulls onto the street that behind where I sit and jogs back up.  I'm obviously glad to see him and chat for a bit.

He tells me that he's ex-military, seeing me always makes his day after a rough day, and a bunch of other compliments.

I'm smiling the entire time and just taking this in because he used to be in the military, meaning that he's a HUGE BOSS!

Then, he hands me this tiny clear case that's labeled "DARE TO SOAR CHALLENGE COIN"!

I'm blown away!  This dude is giving me something that he got from being a bad-ass in the military.

I was so in shock that I didn't take it all-in but I think he said he got it from being a leader or saving someone's life or just being a HUGE MEATDOG!

I have friends that used to be in the military (one was a Blue Angel) and they said that it's just something showing mad respect and you can throw it down at the bar to buy yourself a drink or anyone else a drink!  (They were kind of vague because we're in a group chat and they all kind of said something different  Hilarious )

Does anyone that's been in the military know about it that can fill me in a little bit?!
Reply/Quote
Huge meat dog? Did you get hacked?

Wtf is happening in here

Reply/Quote
Many units have coins. They are often referred to as commander coins. Usually they are given to individuals, squads, platoons that achieve something major which exemplifies valor, courage or strength of the company or battalion. I have one of the coins because as a squad we earned distinguished small unit award, which involved several months of training.

These coins are special to the holder. So this gentleman was awarding you his coin for going above and beyond. In other words, he was proud of you. It holds only the value you give it. Which sounds priceless.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I was in the Air Force from 1990-1994. We had a squadron coin. If a group was out at a bar(which was often) and someone pulled the coin out, everyone had to show theirs.. If they didn't have it, they had to buy a round. If everyone had there coin, the person who pulled the coin check had to buy the round.
Reply/Quote
Don't think it has anything to do with the military.

https://www.successories.com/employee-awards-recognition/medallions-and-challenge-coins/challenge-coins/118806-dare-to-soar-medallion-challenge-coin

I am afraid to google "huge meatdog" to see if it has anything to do with that.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2020, 07:54 AM)Bengalfan69 Wrote: I was in the Air Force from 1990-1994. We had a squadron coin. If a group was out at a bar(which was often) and someone pulled the coin out, everyone had to show theirs.. If they didn't have it, they had to buy a round. If everyone had there coin, the person who pulled the coin check had to buy the round.

Thanks for your service brother!  

That's kind of the impression that I got from my military bros in this chat!

Did the bros you ran around with have as much game as my friends?!  

Hilarious

It's hilarious because they were cool kids growing up but their family was super-religious and they never got any even decent-looking girls, but now we show up at any bar and they pretty much have their choice to take home any girl they want because they have all that military game!
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2020, 08:57 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Don't think it has anything to do with the military.

https://www.successories.com/employee-awards-recognition/medallions-and-challenge-coins/challenge-coins/118806-dare-to-soar-medallion-challenge-coin

I am afraid to google "huge meatdog" to see if it has anything to do with that.

So this guy that drives by all the time and gave it to me is lying?

HarleyDog and BengalsFan69 are lying?

My military friends are lying?

To a lot of people, including my father, calling them a liar is one of worst, if not the worst, things you can do to them.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2020, 01:57 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: So this guy that drives by all the time and gave it to me is lying?

To a lot of people, including my father, calling them a liar is one of worst, if not the worst, things you can do to them.

Fred didn’t accuse Harley, Bengalfan69, or your friends of lying. But, unit or commander coins usually identify the military organization by name.

It may not be specific to a unit, but still a challenge coin and a way for that person to show his appreciation for you. So just accept it in the spirit it was given and not let others spoil your good mood.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2020, 02:22 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Fred didn’t accuse Harley, Bengalfan69, or your friends of lying. But, unit or commander coins usually identify the military organization by name.

It may not be specific to a unit, but still a challenge coin and a way for that person to show his appreciation for you. So just accept it in the spirit it was given and not let others spoil your good mood.

Who said that this coin doesn't identify the organization by name?  It might have identify the organization by name but it's in a sealed package, and I'm not about to open it yet because it has so much meaning unopened, as do a lot of things.  

The guy told me it was from the military, which so did Harley, Fan, and my military friends, and Fred posted a link with another coin under a similar name trying to "prove" that it wasn't, which he has done similar things in the past..  

He was just trying to discredit something amazing that happened to me, like he has done in the past, which I mentioned.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2020, 01:52 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Thanks for your service brother!  

That's kind of the impression that I got from my military bros in this chat!

Did the bros you ran around with have as much game as my friends?!  

Hilarious

It's hilarious because they were cool kids growing up but their family was super-religious and they never got any even decent-looking girls, but now we show up at any bar and they pretty much have their choice to take home any girl they want because they have all that military game!

You are welcome. I had fun. Still have the coins. One was from 20th SOS. The was my squadron. 20th special operations squadron. Then the other was 1st SOW. We fell under this special operations wing.

I was stationed at Hurlburt Field FL for 3 years. Spring break was fantastic in many ways. Lets just say college girls spent a lot of drunk times in our dorms. And we will leave it at that.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2020, 09:36 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Who said that this coin doesn't identify the organization by name?  It might have identify the organization by name but it's in a sealed package, and I'm not about to open it yet because it has so much meaning unopened, as do a lot of things.  

The guy told me it was from the military, which so did Harley, Fan, and my military friends, and Fred posted a link with another coin under a similar name trying to "prove" that it wasn't, which he has done similar things in the past..  

He was just trying to discredit something amazing that happened to me, like he has done in the past, which I mentioned.

Meh... Don't let it work you up. If it's from the military it should have a unit, company or battalion emblem on it. It think what Fred found was general recognition coins for whoever wants to purchase one. There are coins for battalions and divisions that people can buy that usually show the regiment, brigade and their motto. Those are basically "pride" coins soldiers can purchase and collect as a memory and small history trail of their service. Probably find them on aafes website. 

Reply/Quote
(09-02-2020, 09:36 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Who said that this coin doesn't identify the organization by name?  It might have identify the organization by name but it's in a sealed package, and I'm not about to open it yet because it has so much meaning unopened, as do a lot of things.  

No one claimed it didn’t identify the unit, but you wrote it was in a clear case so I assumed you could see the coin inside the case. It could be from TF 160tH SOAR.

Quote:The guy told me it was from the military, which so did Harley, Fan, and my military friends, and Fred posted a link with another coin under a similar name trying to "prove" that it wasn't, which he has done similar things in the past..  

Look, not to pick nits, but others here didn’t confirm you have a military coin sight unseen. Maybe it is. Maybe it isn’t. I can’t tell one way or the other. But, does it really matter?

Quote:He was just trying to discredit something amazing that happened to me, like he has done in the past, which I mentioned.

Yeah, maybe he was. Which is why I told you this person went out of their way to recognize you and show their appreciation for brightening their day. Making others feel better is commendable. Just focus on that and ignore the distractions.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2020, 10:24 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Many units have coins. They are often referred to as commander coins. Usually they are given to individuals, squads, platoons that achieve something major which exemplifies valor, courage or strength of the company or battalion. I have one of the coins because as a squad we earned distinguished small unit award, which involved several months of training.

These coins are special to the holder. So this gentleman was awarding you his coin for going above and beyond. In other words, he was proud of you. It holds only the value you give it. Which sounds priceless.

Thanks for the info Harley and most importantly, thanks for your service. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2020, 01:57 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: So this guy that drives by all the time and gave it to me is lying?

Remember in Liar Liar with Jim Carrey where his kid says his dad is a liar and the teacher says "oh you mean lawyer"...

And the kid just shrugs like meh same thing... Mellow

BTW pretty cool getting a coin from a military bro as I didn't know any of this.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2020, 07:54 AM)Bengalfan69 Wrote: I was in the Air Force from 1990-1994. We had a squadron coin. If a group was out at a bar(which was often) and someone pulled the coin out, everyone had to show theirs.. If they didn't have it, they had to buy a round. If everyone had there coin, the person who pulled the coin check had to buy the round.

Thank you for your service. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2020, 10:24 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Many units have coins. They are often referred to as commander coins. Usually they are given to individuals, squads, platoons that achieve something major which exemplifies valor, courage or strength of the company or battalion. I have one of the coins because as a squad we earned distinguished small unit award, which involved several months of training.

Did you receive an award like an AAM or an ARCOM? Because if you didn’t, you deserved one.

That’s always been my problem with coins. If someone does something outstanding that is deserving of a coin, it’s probably deserving of an award. The difference being and award equals promotion points which actually helps a service members career while a coin doesn’t.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2020, 10:42 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Did you receive an award like an AAM or an ARCOM? Because if you didn’t, you deserved one.

That’s always been my problem with coins. If someone does something outstanding that is deserving of a coin, it’s probably deserving of an award. The difference being and award equals promotion points which actually helps a service members career while a coin doesn’t.

IIRC, we received a certificate of achievement with the standard Army praise on it and a coin. This was back in 89 or 90 so I can't truly recall exactly everything. But it really wasn't about all that TBH. This was a voluntary challenge and we were one of a few to take them up on it. We felt special for about 15 minutes then business as usual. It was really more of a big deal to us and others who were able to meet the challenge than it was to anyone else.

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2020, 11:23 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: IIRC, we received a certificate of achievement with the standard Army praise on it and a coin. This was back in 89 or 90 so I can't truly recall exactly everything. But it really wasn't about all that TBH. This was a voluntary challenge and we were one of a few to take them up on it. We felt special for about 15 minutes then business as usual. It was really more of a big deal to us and others who were able to meet the challenge than it was to anyone else.

I know it wasn’t about that, but leaders need to take care of soldiers which includes career advancement.

I would say that was deserving of an impact AAM. Which takes about as much paperwork and effort as a COA. And it’s worth 5 more promotion points than a COA and 10 more promotion points than a coin which won’t even be mentioned in a promotion packet.
Reply/Quote