Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Relationship Between Ownership and Fans is on Life Support
(09-17-2019, 06:52 AM)Trademark Wrote: If the Bengals do leave Cincinnati then I’ll probably be done with the NFL

Good point. I would rather cease being a fan of the NFL entirely before rooting for Cleveland.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 11:45 PM)samhain Wrote: We have much to do in this city is your reply?  LOL.  It's nothing compared to true metro area like Dallas.  Suburbs like Plano and Frisco are the size of Lexington or bigger.  The Banks project took forever to materialize and people here treat it like an entertainment miracle.  It's nothing compared to similar sites in Dallas/Nashville/Chicago, etc, some of which have several similar districts.  We're a cow town compared to those places.  Trust you.  Sure.

And perhaps people here wouldn't need to travel to see other teams if they had a product worth viewing here in Cincinnati.  Maybe if the owner worked to put out a better game day product, they'd stay put and go to PBS.  

People aren't going because the team sucks, the ownership has the public persona of a debt collection agency, and the game day product is well below sub par when it doesn't have to be, due to the fact that the owner sucks at what he does.

It's not the city, it's not the economy, it's not location.  It''s a flea market quality football team that has lost all interest from the casual fan.

I make a valid point that the main viable if you going to use as to best compare teams is city/metro size and some of throw in variables that very hard to support interests etc.. I can argue Cincinnati has more to do in a 2 hour drive than Houston  but again size of the city or metro area is a much clearer pictures besides if a city like dallas cant sell out a stadium because of other interests that makes them look like a very weak fan base over us with our size and interests.
Reply/Quote
Honestly it died in 2011 when Marvin was rehired after a 4-12 season.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2019, 08:24 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Good point. I would rather cease being a fan of the NFL entirely before rooting for Cleveland.

It’s not the 50’s anymore, you don’t have to root for a team due to proximity...

It’s easier than ever to follow teams from all over the place. I’ve actually been following a hockey team from NJ for 20 years now.

Reply/Quote
If Mike Brown sold the team Tomorrow and the New Ownership committed fully to the city. PBS would be sold out for the rest of the season. Everyone on this board, on Cincy Jungle, Bengals Twitter, and Bengals Reddit knows I am 1000 % right on this.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
As someone who lives well outside Cincinnati and travels a few times a year for games, I have a different perspective.

The worst part of my 8 hour trips to Cincy has unfortunately become the Bengals. Last two games I went to were NO and SF. Feels like a rip off. But Cincinnati is a great town and is inexpensive for what it offers. I got a two bedroom apartment for 3 nights in the Banks for 350 bucks. That's a night in a hotel in Chicago. I've taken my family to the top of the Carew Tower, to the zoo, to the Children's Museum in the old railroad depot. We always go to Koch's to buy some gear and my 6 year old could spend all day playing on the park on the riverfront. Cincinnati is a fine town. I'd be sorely disappointed if the team left, because this is my team for 30 years and I've grown to really love taking a few weekends a year to the city.

But this last game had a bit of a breaking point. I told my son who is 6, that he can pick any team he wants, he doesn't have to be a Bengals fan. Not sure I want to put him through this misery. The game was embarrassing as a fan. 49ers fans owned the stands and their team owned the field. This is a completely one sided relationship I have with this team. I invest time and money that are always tight for me, and in all my my years of fandom have seen one playoff victory when I was 8. Getting burnt out.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2019, 05:43 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: If Mike Brown sold the team Tomorrow and the New Ownership committed fully to the city. PBS would be sold out for the rest of the season. Everyone on this board, on Cincy Jungle, Bengals Twitter, and Bengals Reddit knows I am 1000 % right on this.

I have no doubt about this. Having legit ownership would bring many people back. Regardless of what Mike says or puts out through Hobspin, people can see the half-assed effort. The lack of care or pride. Hard to take pride in a team that isn't run in a proud way.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I haven't lived in the Bengals market for some time now except for a year back in Dayton and a few in Columbus.. if they move to another city I'll probably still follow them, but they'll never get a nickel of my cash regardless..on the other hand I really don't know why I bother. I could just as easily follow the Panthers or even the Falcons here in SC..or even Clemson. I live about half a mile from Clemson road.. The problem is like quitting smoking when you're sitting around getting drunk. Old habits die hard. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote