Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minter Mock
Signing Minter opens up the draft for us big time. I could still see us going several different positions at #9 including LB, but we all know after last seasons circus, we need someone to come in and make an immediate impact on both sides of the ball if we want any chance of being a playoff contender again, let alone finishing above .500.

I feel like we can get someone to bite on an AJM deal come draft day. Teams that will be looking at QB's as a need include, CLE, NYJ, NO, AZ, HOU and maybe KC. Chances are at least one of these teams will take an experienced QB versus an unproven rookie. AJ has shown signs of being a leader and flashes of being something amazing. Someone like Hue knows that first hand.

Trade AJM to the QB graveyard along with 153(R5), in exchange for Cleveland's two second round picks (33 and 52). First off, I want to see AJ succeed just as much as any of you do, but I want to see us succeed even more. Second, I'm not a fan of the idea of shipping anyone from our roster to a division rival, but you're not going to get a bigger bang for your buck than dealing with the desperate Cleveland Clowns (plus, Hue may want a QB he's familiar with). And third, we need as many picks as possible with the amount of holes that we have... Dreaming? Yep, definitely (with our FO and Mikey Boy running this franchise). Is this possible? Yep, definitely (when dealing with CLE it is).

R1 - P9: John Ross, WR, Washington 

Here it is. The Road Runner. Great hands, great route runner with amazing YAC, would be the perfect compliment to Mr. Green to create separation, opens up the passing game versus being a one diminutional team (Green) and he'll help keep the defense honest. With a healthy Eifert, a year under Boyd's belt and pretty decent depth, this offense could have a pretty scary passing game (in the best way possible). So much you can do with this guy. Maybe a tiny bit of a reach at #9, but I wouldn't risk moving down with a few teams eyeing receiver in the 10-15 range. Multiple mocks have him anywhere from #8 all the way to #20. Just depends on your level of interest and need. With the signing of Minter, we pass on Foster. I wouldn't mind Hooker here either if he were to get passed SD, grrr LAC*.

R2 - P33: Taco Charlton, DE, Michigan

Someone always falls. This year I wouldn't be surprised to see Taco or even Peppers fall a little bit. TC has drawn comparisons to our very own Dunlap. Has good instincts when on the edge waiting to eliminate the ball carrier and knows how to get after the QB. Good all around edge rusher with really good value at 33 (ranked 23rd overall on CBSsports.com).

R2 - P41: Forest Lamp, OG, Western Kentucky

Definitely need help protecticing Dalton. Should be able to start day one and make a bigger impact than anyone else at LG...

R2 - P52: Caleb Brantley, DT, Florida

Well. We let Peko go, we have Billings who is unproven, but yet has potential to be something great. Nothing wrong with depth. We need to get back to being dominate defensively. Give Atkins someone to take the pressure off and someone to help stop the run. 

R3 - P73: Ethan Pocic, C, LSU

I would honestly be more excited over Pocic more than anyone else being drafted. We haven't had a sold center in a minute. And even better we can tell Bodine to hit the street.

R4 - P116: Joe Mixon, RB, Oklahoma

Look, I know he has the talent, but he also has that incident lingering over his head that a lot of clubs are worried about. Marvin was high on Burfict and they still waited. We used to be a lot worse when it came to not caring about what character issues our players had. If we covet Mixon like I think we do, we'll probably still take a chance on him with one of our top picks and I personally wouldn't use a second on him... I don't think the Bengals are giving up on Hill just yet (unfortunately) and I'm sure they have intentions to draft Mixon with the amount of interest they have shown. We stop him from sliding at 116.

R4 - P138: Rayshawn Jenkins, S, Miami, Florida

Pretty much a depth pick here. Need someone to push Williams.

R5 - P153: (Traded to Cleveland)

R5 - P176: Zane Gonzalez, K, Arizona State

We need a consistent and reliable kicker. Not much explanation needed here. Next.

R6 - P193: Eric Saubert, TE, Drake

A little insurance for the TE position. Lets hope Eifert can stay healthy from here on out.

R6 - P217: Joshua Dobbs, QB, Tennessee

Smart kid with a good head on his shoulders. Comes in to compete for the backup spot in the predicted departure of AJM.

R7 - P227: Steven Taylor, OLB, Houston

Special teams. Chance to compete for a starting role, but needs to get stronger.

R7 - P251: Treston Decoud, CB, Oregon State

Depth, practice squad.

Thanks for reading. Bash, criticize, applaud and comment. I haven't done a mock draft in three years, just had an urge to do one today I guess.
Reply/Quote
I don't think the signing of Minter changes the team's approach to the draft very much. If they like Foster, they will take him at #9.

Signing a 1 year contract doesn't really do much for a team's long term plans.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2017, 11:36 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I don't think the signing of Minter changes the team's approach to the draft very much. If they like Foster, they will take him at #9.

Not too often the Bengals make a FA signing on a young player that's actually pretty decent. I'm looking at it like the LaFell deal which is a "prove it" contract. Granted we still drafted Boyd in the second round after signing LaFell, but we also lost two receivers. It's wherever Foster is on their board I suppose, but I think (realistically) they're eyeing a DE at #9 anyway. The Bengals liked LaFell and what he did for us so we reached an agreement with him. Assuming that's the plan with Minter as well.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2017, 11:36 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I don't think the signing of Minter changes the team's approach to the draft very much.  If they like Foster, they will take him at #9.

wasnt due to us though... We wanted a multi year deal he didnt he wanted a prove it deal. We actually ahowed up there for once wanting to give a outside free agent a good multi year deal 
Reply/Quote
I know longer think Foster is their guy. I think Taco or Thomas even Allen is their 9th pick.
I really think Pass Rusher is number one priority. Hell, even McDowell i think is on their radar.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2017, 02:00 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I know longer think Foster is their guy.  I think Taco or Thomas even Allen is their 9th pick.
 I really think Pass Rusher is number one priority.  Hell, even McDowell i think is on their radar.

I don't see Taco as being in the discussion at all for the #9 pick.  He just isn't a top 10 player.

I think the real discussion in the draft room is going to be whether they think they can get an edge rusher at #41 that can come in and help so they can draft a different position at #9.

I can't see them going pass rusher if the following guys are gone:

Garrett
Allen
Thomas
Barnett

There will be someone left that is too good to pass up at that point.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2017, 10:58 AM)Jpoore Wrote: wasnt due to us though... We wanted a multi year deal he didnt he wanted a prove it deal. We actually ahowed up there for once wanting to give a outside free agent a good multi year deal 

Well, that's worrisome.  If he has a great year, do you really see them giving him a big deal?  If so, then you know they are going to roll out the "we can't afford to sign everyone" line when it comes to Eifert and Burfict.
Reply/Quote
Allen to be there at number nine but for some reason tacos seems like the type of player the Bengals would select
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote