Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I know people wont believe this
The other day flipping around the radio dial I picked up a Hip Hop station on 96.1. I listened as I thought the rock station from Ripon Wisconsin changed their format and the station identified itself as Mix 96.1 San Antonios best music. I couldn't believe it and looked it up and it is from San Antonio! FM skips like AM does at times. Who would ever think you could get Texas stations from up North here. It was in super strong here as well. Other people in the area said they were getting Spanish stations overtaking their local stations. Anyone ever have this experience on the FM dial?
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2016, 05:40 PM)packerbacker Wrote: The other day flipping around the radio dial I picked up a Hip Hop station on 96.1. I listened as I thought the rock station from Ripon Wisconsin changed their format and the station identified itself as Mix 96.1 San Antonios best music. I couldn't believe it and looked it up and it is from San Antonio! FM skips like AM does at times. Who would ever think you could get Texas stations from up North here. It was in super strong here as well. Other people in the area said they were getting Spanish stations overtaking their local stations. Anyone ever have this experience on the FM dial?

Not normally.  My dad explained short wave radios to me once...  Could have been some sort of special atmospheric event or condition that allowed that to travel that far.  Or someone relaying it from closer somehow.

Spanish stations would make sense coming from the san Antonio area as well.

Is 96.1 normally a local radio channel because I wouldn't think it could overtake a local radio source.
Reply/Quote
Doubt seriously that the airwaves traveled all that way. Most likely what happened, was the syndicated company that owns both "stations" screwed up the feed, and sent San Antonio's broadcast to your area's station.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2016, 06:17 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Doubt seriously that the airwaves traveled all that way.  Most likely what happened, was the syndicated company that owns both "stations" screwed up the feed, and sent San Antonio's broadcast to your area's station.

Damn, OP is clairvoyant. 
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2016, 06:17 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Doubt seriously that the airwaves traveled all that way.  Most likely what happened, was the syndicated company that owns both "stations" screwed up the feed, and sent San Antonio's broadcast to your area's station.

Or sometimes they do broadcast the same show to multiple locations

Kidd chriss here in Cincinnati does a show Saturday night where the broadcast him to about 6 or 7 markets including seattle. and such..

It is probly along those lines
Reply/Quote
It's Project Echelon.
They've been upgrading and expanding it.
Ninja

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
[Image: resized_ancient-aliens-invisible-somethi...1824f9.jpg]
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
Ok to the people that don't believe me here is proof that FM skip happens and I did hear Texas. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU1hi1nSU9U
This is called FM Sproadic E skip where you can hear stations 700 to 1500 miles away. It happens every year at least a few times from Late May to early August. There is also something called FM tropo where you can hear stations 150 to up to 600 miles away. Both are atmospheric events but the weather doesn't affect E skip at all but the weather affects tropo a lot.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2016, 05:28 PM)packerbacker Wrote: Ok to the people that don't believe me here is proof that FM skip happens and I did hear Texas. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU1hi1nSU9U
This is called FM Sproadic E skip where you can hear stations 700 to 1500 miles away. It happens every year at least a few times from Late May to early August. There is also something called FM tropo where you can hear stations 150 to up to 600 miles away. Both are atmospheric events but the weather doesn't affect E skip at all but the weather affects tropo a lot.

Sounds logical, but tuning in stations from far away happens much more frequently on AM.  Still not willing to rule out the possibility that someone hit the wrong key on the satellite feed...

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2016, 05:28 PM)packerbacker Wrote: Ok to the people that don't believe me here is proof that FM skip happens and I did hear Texas. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU1hi1nSU9U

I believe it might skip if the frequency was blank in your area, but I don't see how it could block out the local stationat the same spot on the dial.
Reply/Quote
There's a 96.1 station in Pittsburgh. They play the same Katie Perry, Rhianna and Bruno Mars song over and over again. It's no surprise to here the same song twice within the same hour. And it's exclusively the most trashy, most recently released pop song. Nobody likes the station; I don't know how they are still in business.

I never listen to the radio. I usually just play my Ipod.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2016, 08:35 AM)6andcounting Wrote: There's a 96.1 station in Pittsburgh. They play the same Katie Perry, Rhianna and Bruno Mars song over and over again. It's no surprise to here the same song twice within the same hour. And it's exclusively the most trashy, most recently released pop song. Nobody likes the station; I don't know how they are still in business.

I never listen to the radio. I usually just play my Ipod.

Ipod? Welcome to 2005. 

Spotify yourself. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I blame Obama.  It was his fault your local station decided to pick up some San Antonio station. 

You should try to listen to AM 540 out of Fort Dodge Iowa.  The best country music station there is.   Their signal is so strong, you can pick it up during the day all the way down in Paducah, KY. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2016, 01:20 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Ipod? Welcome to 2005. 

Spotify yourself. 

2005? Most of the songs I listen are from 2003 or older. The Eminem Show on repeat all day.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
Reply/Quote

Spotify yourself. 

I still listen to CD's.  And I ain't changin'.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote

Spotify yourself. 

how to Spotify with tape deck? lol   just kidding I know I got that awesome tech that's like a tape but it plugs into things
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2016, 02:01 AM)6andcounting Wrote: 2005? Most of the songs I listen are from 2003 or older. The Eminem Show on repeat all day.

I was actually gonna say 2003, but i wasn't sure if you were even alive then.  Cool

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote