Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Misleading information about charitable organizations
(06-16-2015, 09:17 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: [Image: 10421183_10102229106684300_3932313921405...e=55EBD0B9]

I saw this in the political memes section.  Saw something similar on the defunct official board.  I wanted to discuss this without hijacking the other thread.

As SteelCitySouth already pointed out, this information is false.  It didn't come from Snopes as it suggests.  I am very suspicious of all alleged charitable organizations.  I don't donate to any phone solicitators telling them I was fooled once and I don't have the time or inclination to research their organization to find out if it is truly legitimate or just another scam taking advantage of people's charity.

My wife works at Goodwill.  Goodwill's main objective is job training.  Goodwill sells the donated goods to fund job training and job placement among other things (like free tax prep, etc.)  They do give grants, but that isn't their main focus.  Most of the people who need their assistance have had significant obstacles to overcome in life.  Goodwill does good work by people who genuinely care about others.  I do disagree with Goodwill's pay policy for employees with severe disabilities, but I hope false information like this chart wouldn't influence others not to donate to Goodwill.  I donate to Make a Wish, St. Jude's, Special Operations Warrior Foundation, and Goodwill. 

I don't understand why anyone would deliberately spread false information about charities like the author of that chart.
I don't just blindly trust any charity, but I have to question these numbers. When you look at the massive operations that Red Cross carries out they would have to be collecting BILLIONS of dollars if only 8 cents on the dollar helped the needy.

I am sure there is a more reliable source out there some wher for this type of information.
(06-21-2015, 12:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't just blindly trust any charity, but I have to question these numbers.  When you look at the massive operations that Red Cross carries out they would have to be collecting BILLIONS of dollars if only 8 cents on the dollar helped the needy.

I am sure there is a more reliable source out there some wher for this type of information.

There are, but then I cross check the charity with different sources to get a consensus because I'm unaware of one legitimate "go-to" source for this sort of information.
CNN did a big cover story on this a couple of years ago. Here is the link to their 50 worst charities out there. I remember cause I posted athread about it over at the old site lol. Its predtty effed up stuff if you ask me. So many of them are just a blatant scam but use carefully chosen words like kids & cancer to camouflage their real purpose.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/13/us/worst-charities/
http://www.tampabay.com/americas-worst-charities/
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
That's worse than I suspected.

#16 on the list is why I no longer donate to any charity which uses telemarketers.
(06-21-2015, 01:16 PM)Millhouse Wrote: CNN did a big cover story on this a couple of years ago. Here is the link to their 50 worst charities out there. I remember cause I posted athread about it over at the old site lol. Its predtty effed up stuff if you ask me. So many of them are just a blatant scam but use carefully chosen words like kids & cancer to camouflage their real purpose.

Wtf? That's unbelievable.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Doesn't goodwill only need to give 5% to charity and the rest they keep as profits?

Not bad for a business with no fee to stock.
(06-21-2015, 01:16 PM)Millhouse Wrote: CNN did a big cover story on this a couple of years ago. Here is the link to their 50 worst charities out there. I remember cause I posted athread about it over at the old site lol. Its predtty effed up stuff if you ask me. So many of them are just a blatant scam but use carefully chosen words like kids & cancer to camouflage their real purpose.

This is why we donate to local charities.   Our main charity is a group that supports women and their children who are victims of DV.   There is so much we can do locally.... That we ignore to send to the big names thinking that they can do more.... When the ones that do the most for our communities is the local people.
(06-22-2015, 02:56 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Doesn't goodwill only need to give 5% to charity and the rest they keep as profits?  

Not bad for a business with no fee to stock.

Not true at all. The majority of the money Goodwill makes from selling donated goods is used to fund job training programs. They are a nonprofit organization (which many of the scams claim to be as well.)
(06-22-2015, 03:01 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: This is why we donate to local charities.   Our main charity is a group that supports women and their children who are victims of DV.   There is so much we can do locally.... That we ignore to send to the big names thinking that they can do more.... When the ones that do the most for our communities is the local people.

Goodwill is a network of local affiliates. Proceeds from the sale of donated goods are used locally to help people in need find jobs so they can become financially independent. Goodwill also receives funds in the form of grants from other corporations and the government.  

Goodwill offers many more programs than I was aware before my wife began working at Goodwill. If you're interested in learning more I suggest you visit the website for the Goodwill affiliate in your area.
(06-22-2015, 07:31 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Goodwill is a network of local affiliates. Proceeds from the sale of donated goods are used locally to help people in need find jobs so they can become financially independent. Goodwill also receives funds in the form of grants from other corporations and the government.  

Goodwill offers many more programs than I was aware before my wife began working at Goodwill. If you're interested in learning more I suggest you visit the website for the Goodwill affiliate in your area.

This doesn't negate that oftentimes finding a local charity is a safer bet than the big names. For instance, even as good as Salvation Army is when compared to others, we have a couple of other thrift stores here that are for charitable organizations that are local only. One here does pretty much the same thing that SA does but because they are not helping to support an international organization even more of the proceeds go to their efforts to clothe, house, and feed the needy in the area.

There is no sure fire way to pick a good charity and there are pros and cons any way you look at it. I give to a combination of local, regional, national, and international organizations that I think the work they do is important work. But most of the resources I provide in this manner are focused on the local because I know how much further that dollar can go with them.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(06-22-2015, 08:47 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: This doesn't negate that oftentimes finding a local charity is a safer bet than the big names. For instance, even as good as Salvation Army is when compared to others, we have a couple of other thrift stores here that are for charitable organizations that are local only. One here does pretty much the same thing that SA does but because they are not helping to support an international organization even more of the proceeds go to their efforts to clothe, house, and feed the needy in the area.

There is no sure fire way to pick a good charity and there are pros and cons any way you look at it. I give to a combination of local, regional, national, and international organizations that I think the work they do is important work. But most of the resources I provide in this manner are focused on the local because I know how much further that dollar can go with them.

I never claimed it negated anything. I just stated proceeds are used locally for people within your community.
We always prefer local. our dollars aren't wrapped up in large administration costs and or gives us the chance to physically help out when necessary.
(06-22-2015, 01:23 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: We always prefer local.  our dollars aren't wrapped up in large administration costs and or gives us the chance to physically help out when necessary.

That's awesome. You can physically volunteer at Goodwill, also. My wife volunteers to prepare tax returns.
(06-22-2015, 06:21 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: That's awesome. You can physically volunteer at Goodwill, also. My wife volunteers to prepare tax returns.

We work with DV support charities. I think it's important for my kids to see us standing up for women.

Goodwill seems too corporate for us. I don't like that there are franchises all over.

That's cool your wife volunteer's. Glad you have Rock On found a charity you enjoy working with...