Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Missing College Student
It's everywhere, this missing college student Mollie Tibbet and what I want to know is what makes this girl different than the hundreds or is it thousands of people that go missing in the US every day?

Why this girl?
Reply/Quote
Hot and white.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 12:58 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: It's everywhere, this missing college student Mollie Tibbet and what I want to know is what makes this girl different than the hundreds or is it thousands of people that go missing in the US every day?

Why this girl?

Sometimes a story like this just catches fire.

There could be lots of reasons from the way the family promoted it, to special circumstances surrounding the disappearance, maybe the family was well connected or had friends that were that pushed it out.  Sometimes it's just our own perception because we know about the story and "see it everywhere".  (Little red car theory.)  Some people believe a white girl who is missing gets more coverage than a white boy or any minority...I do not know if there is proof of that other than perception.

I'll be honest that I didn't even know this story though.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 01:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Hot and white.

bingo
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 01:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Hot and white.

Ill assume her family isn't fragmented or half broke, either. 
Reply/Quote
I don't claim to know every missing person case that becomes big news but the only other one I can name is the Natalie Halloway(sp?) case...so call me biased.

[Image: 636678690794406489-mollie3.jpeg?width=54...5&fit=crop]

[Image: 220px-Natalee_Holloway_yearbook_photo.jpg]

Ida know, isn't it possible that our society holds attractive young white females in higher value/regard than pretty much anyone else?  What's so insane about that?
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 01:42 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I don't claim to know every missing person case that becomes big news but the only other one I can name is the Natalie Halloway(sp?) case...so call me biased.

[Image: 636678690794406489-mollie3.jpeg?width=54...5&fit=crop]

[Image: 220px-Natalee_Holloway_yearbook_photo.jpg]

Ida know, isn't it possible that our society holds attractive young white females in higher value/regard than pretty much anyone else?  What's so insane about that?

Good point. Attractive, young white girls apparently only go missing every 13 years or so. Or it could be as Dino stated some stories just catch fire. 

Have you ever heard of the name Crystal Rogers?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
this story is all over the place here in Iowa.  You can't wait 15 minutes of TV without breaking news coming in about the case.  Just yesterday there was a tip that came in that she may have been spotted in or around the KC area. The authorities have talked to a couple local hog farmers about their facilities.  They've tracked down local men on the sex register and talked to them. They don't have any leads at this point.  The boyfriend, the Dad, the brother, have all been ruled out as suspects.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 01:03 PM)GMDino Wrote: Sometimes a story like this just catches fire.

There could be lots of reasons from the way the family promoted it, to special circumstances surrounding the disappearance, maybe the family was well connected or had friends that were that pushed it out.  Sometimes it's just our own perception because we know about the story and "see it everywhere".  (Little red car theory.)  Some people believe a white girl who is missing gets more coverage than a white boy or any minority...I do not know if there is proof of that other than perception.

I'll be honest that I didn't even know this story though.

I see a few missing people post about every day... Why is this one so special?
Reply/Quote
Ha! I was "missing" as a teenager for awhile..it made the news around town blah blah blah .  Turns out I ran away (hitch hiked)  to Knoxville, got laid for the first time and hitch hiked back home and all was forgotten . Of course I wasn't a hot white girl.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Because most missing people are found shortly after. In the case with children it's usually a relative. Stranger abductions and long term disappearances are pretty rare.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 12:58 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Why this girl?

Why not? Is she missing? 

Reply/Quote
They found a dead girl, it wasn't her, the media moved on. Kind of crazy that in the course of searching for a 20 something white girl they found a different 20 something dead white girl and the media doesn't even seem to care.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2018, 11:52 AM)Au165 Wrote: They found a dead girl, it wasn't her, the media moved on. Kind of crazy that in the course of searching for a 20 something white girl they found a different 20 something dead white girl and the media doesn't even seem to care.

"Shit wrong body.  Mark it so nobody else wastes their time."
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
This might get even bigger:
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/mollie-tibbetts-case-body-found-during-search-missing-145205719--abc-news-topstories.html

Quote:A first-degree murder charge was filed on Tuesday against an undocumented immigrant in the case of missing Iowa jogger Mollie Tibbetts, state officials said Tuesday.

The suspect, 24-year-old Christian Rivera, lives in the rural area where the college student vanished one month ago, according to Rick Rahn of the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2018, 06:32 PM)bfine32 Wrote: This might get even bigger:
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/mollie-tibbetts-case-body-found-during-search-missing-145205719--abc-news-topstories.html

Read that they found her but didn’t know they made an arrest. Having a hard time connecting on my phone right now. Damn article won’t open. Did the suspect lead them to her?

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2018, 06:32 PM)bfine32 Wrote: This might get even bigger:

He said he "Blacked Out" then remembered he had her in his trunk.

EDIT: Yeah, it's going to get much bigger now.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2018, 09:20 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: He said he "Blacked Out" then remembered he had her in his trunk.

EDIT: Yeah, it's going to get much bigger now.

Yeah a young girl is dead, a family is facing unbelievable grief and we will play politics.

Reply/Quote
My thoughts are with the family of the victim. May they somehow find peace.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
It’s a horrible tradgedy. Thoughts and prayers for the families of both girls. And any other families suffering the loss of a child.

Reply/Quote