Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Missing Football Bengals already?
I enjoy watching and reading about it and all, but let's not get all overly dramatic about it and pretend that if football suddenly ceased to exist in Cincinnati or anywhere else for that matter our lives would somehow crumble and become absolutely meaningless. If your entire existence is based on whether football gets played or not I would say that you have much more serious problems than merely missing it. 
Strange, but there really was a period in history when football didn't exist and people actually got by without it. 
Yeah, I know..blasphemy and all. It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it.  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2017, 02:37 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: I would be missing it a lot more if there was a new HC in place.  What's to be excited about?  Another year with Marvin calling the shots?  We know the probable outcome as we've all been watching now for 14 years.  Marvin Lewis is like a boxer way past his prime, struggling to get into the ring for one last shot at a title.  It's sad, really.

Mike Brown, for the fans, take a god damn chance for once.

marv remains coach despite having an unprecedented inept record and Bodine remains the center

Z and whit will walk - but hay- we will resign Rey M and Peko.

cannot wait to lose twice once again to the Steelers and not win a playoff game much less have a shot at Super Bowl

yep- really miss the bengals.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2017, 02:30 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Na, I'm still in my pissed off mode with the Bengals. Ogbuehi was a massive failure and no one was held accountable for that. Pacman continues to shame the city, yet again...no accountability. I have zero faith in this staff and FO to ever get a playoff win, let alone a SB run. So no, I'm not exactly looking forward to next season. I like our draft position and we should have a good amount of picks, but I'm even jaded about the draft. I don't see any impact players coming, and Marv is slow to integrate rookies. Free agency is a joke. What we had last year is pretty much what we'll trot out again next year. Same players, same coaches that led the team to 6-9-1.

Obviously I post a lot on here, but I love following the NBA, watching NBA on TNT videos on youtube (those guys are hilarious, best show in sports by far) etc. That's pretty much how I get my sports fix this time of year. Especially with the Reds in a 10 year rebuilding process.

Pretty much this for me. It's hard for me to get excited about next season because there's been zero changes to this team. Maybe I'll be back on board when the draft rolls around, but we'll see.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Not at all. I have the Premier League to tide me over, hoping Manchester United can pull off a run to get them into the top 4 to be in the Champions League next year. But mainly just cant wait for spring to get here. Its been a mild winter overall, but more ready to see leaves growing and grass getting green again.

That said, when the draft comes that will peak my interest for a few days, same with free agency. And depending what the Bengals do in terms of those two things and with the current roster, that will be a big factor in getting amped up for next season. Because as of today, you couldnt get me to go to a game unless all expenses are paid for.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2017, 12:06 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I'm a big hockey fan as well. My team is the Devils though. The Jackets used to be my 2nd team, but then they moved into the same division as the Devils, and worse, hired John Tortorella (who I can't stand). I also like going to the Cyclones games. The talent level is obviously way below the NHL, but those guys play their hearts out.

Can't tell you how happy I was when they moved the Jackets to the East.  Leafs, Habs, Bruins - now that's real hockey.  If I had to watch one more game with Dallas or Nashville or any who-gives-a-crap teams...ugh.  I wasn't a Torts fans, heard too many bad things about him.  But, he's made a believer out of me.  Figures you'd hate an ex-Ranger coach, lol.  Metro is a damn tough division and it'll be interesting to see how it shakes out.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
I was on the verge of being a big hockey fan when I was younger but unfortunately the Cincinnati Stingers of the WHA did not merge into the NHL when that happened. That Stinger team had two eventual HOF'ers....both Mike Gartner and Mark Messier. Mike Liut was a goal tender. Barry Melrose was on that team also.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2017, 08:52 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I drink!

I'm right there with you.  Drinking has no off-season.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2017, 02:30 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Na, I'm still in my pissed off mode with the Bengals. Ogbuehi was a massive failure and no one was held accountable for that. Pacman continues to shame the city, yet again...no accountability. I have zero faith in this staff and FO to ever get a playoff win, let alone a SB run. So no, I'm not exactly looking forward to next season. I like our draft position and we should have a good amount of picks, but I'm even jaded about the draft. I don't see any impact players coming, and Marv is slow to integrate rookies. Free agency is a joke. What we had last year is pretty much what we'll trot out again next year. Same players, same coaches that led the team to 6-9-1.

Obviously I post a lot on here, but I love following the NBA, watching NBA on TNT videos on youtube (those guys are hilarious, best show in sports by far) etc. That's pretty much how I get my sports fix this time of year. Especially with the Reds in a 10 year rebuilding process.

Pretty much this for me as well. I have way less than zero faith anything is going to change until Mike Brown is no longer in charge !

I'll watch March Madness a little and follow the Reds a bit. But I've given up hope on M&M and the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
I was a Dayton Gems fan for about 3 days . But then at that age I was also a fan of Bobo Brazil and believed ''rasslin' was worth watching  ... It wasn't. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2017, 09:17 PM)Goalpost Wrote: I was on the verge of being a big hockey fan when I was younger but unfortunately the Cincinnati Stingers of the WHA did not merge into the NHL when that happened.  That Stinger team had two eventual HOF'ers....both Mike Gartner and Mark Messier.  Mike Liut was a goal tender.  Barry Melrose was on that team also.

I wasn't a fan of the sport then, so I missed out on the Stingers experience.  It's interesting to think what might have been had they been welcomed into the NHL.  That was an unfortunate color scheme they had, though:

[Image: rqewym1ee7zgmjpc86gv7cdyg.gif]

Ugh.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote

This....

A lil day drinking while watching the Spurs slaughter the Knicks is on the agenda today.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2017, 07:09 PM)Marlon23 Wrote: Drove by the Stadium today and I must say it looks pretty lonely there.  I drove by and thought I already miss football...  Anyone else missing it already?  What will you do to fill in the absence of football mainly the Bengals games?

No. 

Lots of other stuff. Spring and Summer stuff. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I miss winning. This team is important to me. I have a pretty tough job IMO and getting a win on Sunday makes Monday not so sucky! Of course, there are probably a few out there with that opinion, I understand it's a little outside the box and many probably don't. So maybe I should appreciate this time when I don't have to worry about being a loser on Mondays. If Mike and Marvin only cared as much as I do? Geez! I mean just a little bit?

Reply/Quote

Count me in with all the drinking guys.  Of course, I drink all the time, so the off season is actually not a reason.   ThumbsUp
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote