Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Missing starters
I would re-sign every one of those guys but the tackles, then work to upgrade them through the remainder of FA and the draft.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2019, 02:11 PM)McC Wrote: If ZT is bringing the Rams offense with him, I wonder just how important the TE will even be.  The TE is not featured in that system.   Now, supposedly, he'll put some of his own spin on it, so he might be different.

And the TE has to be a very good blocker.  I'm not sure if Nick Boyle is going to be re-signed by Rats, but he would be a steady chain-mover as a receiver, but a superior blocker.  
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2019, 04:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Before we start talking about "upgrading" we need to address "replacing".  Right now the following positions are missing the starter from 2018.

OFFENSE
RT...Hart is a free agent (as are Fisher, Smith, and Ogbuehi)

RG...Redmond is free agent (as is Trey Hopkins)

TE...Eifert, Uzomah, and Kroft are all free agents.

DEFENSE
LB...Preston Brown is a free agent.

CB...Dennard is a free agent (nickel corner usually plays twice as many snaps as one of the starting LBs in a 4-3)

DE...Michael Johnson is a free agent.

Possible new starters already here....Hubbard should step in for Johnson.  Some people think Westerman can start at OG, but I have yet to be convinced.

Possible free agents re-signed.....I think we will re-sign Dennard.  Some of the others may be re-signed, but none of them look especially worthy of starting.  The only exception is Preston Brown.  I wonder if he just struggled due to his injury early in the season?

So ther than Hubbard and Dennard that leaves 4 holes with no returning starter.  You can't bet on more than one or two starters from the draft.  So we pretty much have to sign 2 or 3 starters in free agency.

I like to sign these three if the $$ is in the correct range

Dennard-  solid player and like you said 3rd CB in today's game is like a starter.  sign him

Brown-  Track record says he is a everydown type MBer.. injuries hit everyone in the NFL even for a season... we are very thin at LB. he has a solid track record of play and health.. sign him

Uzomah-  A solid overall TE for us.. and plays hurt ... No way do i want us to go into training camp with zero depth at TE... can't count Tyler as depth.. sign him
Reply/Quote
Would sign Dennard and Uzo for certain.

Would definitely consider signing Eifert and Preston as well if reasonable.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
RT and OG - At least one on Day 1 or Day 2 in the draft (assuming a good prospect is there), probably get a (stopgap at least) FA. I'd be fine with Andre Smith back but I would prefer Ja'Wuan James or Daryl Williams.

TE - I don't see how it makes logical sense to risk Eifert again. I'd rather roll the dice on Uzomah/Kroft and drafting a TE. I really like Caleb Wilson and Kaden Smith from the PAC 12 as mid-round prospects.

LB - A lot of good options in FA this year plus there are some good candidates in the draft. Bringing back Preston Brown would be ok but I'd rather them pursue other LBs in FA first. I could see Corey Littleton ending up in Cincy given the Rams connection with Taylor. I also think it's time to move on from Burfict and would release him to open up cap space.

CB - Bring Dennard back depending on price, or seek a CB in FA on a 2-year deal (Claiborne?).

DE - Hubbard, Lawson, and Willis should do fine in place of MJ IMO.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2019, 10:19 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: I have a bad feeling Hart will be back. The crop of OT's in the draft is not impressive and the Bengals hate to spend big bucks in free-agency.

I completely disagree with you on this one.  This is one of the better RT drafts I've seen in awhile.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2019, 12:45 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Would sign Dennard and Uzo for certain.

Would definitely consider signing Eifert and Preston as well if reasonable.

You pretty well summed up my view on this as well.   ThumbsUp
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2019, 04:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Before we start talking about "upgrading" we need to address "replacing".  Right now the following positions are missing the starter from 2018.

OFFENSE

DEFENSE

CB...Dennard is a free agent (nickel corner usually plays twice as many snaps as one of the starting LBs in a 4-3)

Possible new starters already here....Hubbard should step in for Johnson.  Some people think Westerman can start at OG, but I have yet to be convinced.

Possible free agents re-signed.....I think we will re-sign Dennard.  Some of the others may be re-signed, but none of them look especially worthy of starting.  The only exception is Preston Brown.  I wonder if he just struggled due to his injury early in the season?

So ther than Hubbard and Dennard that leaves 4 holes with no returning starter.  You can't bet on more than one or two starters from the draft.  So we pretty much have to sign 2 or 3 starters in free agency.

I would resign... 
Fisher & Hart @ tackle (for depth, both are young guys)
Hopkins @ guard/ center 
Uzomah & Kroft (both better blockers than Eifert + Uzomah doesn't have bad hands)
and ... Brown & Dennard on defense.

I'd like to draft a starting LB and OL early... even possibly moving up in the draft to grab 2 OL in the second round that can start (depending how the chips fall).  I also don't think we can afford a complete overhaul on the offensive line.  A new scheme might help to take the pressure off the line as well (think how the Rams' fake Jet sweep keeps the backside DE in place).  I do not think Eifert fits the new offense (I, however, will be a life-long Eifert fan and would like to see him back and healthy).  I think now is not the time to mess with the slot CB (we cant fill every spot).  And Brown was not our worst LB, he can play beside our drafted LB in either the SAM or MIKE on running downs. You can move them around to what suits our draft pick the best in the first year.  
Reply/Quote

OFFENSE

DEFENSE

People talk a lot about drafting a TE in case Eifert doesn't return or finally fails to pan out. Iowa's Noah Fant is a name thrown around quite a bit, and understandably so (he wasn't really used to his potential in college, IMO). But as a Hawkeye guy, I think Iowa's "other" TE, TJ Hockenson, is actually a better player at that position. Think George Kittle. Additionally, Fant could line up as a mismatch wideout in the slot, which he did some at Iowa. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he was drafted by someone with that in mind. Imagine Hockenson, Fant, and a healthy Eifert in this offense.

That said, the Bengals should get the RT and LB situations worked out in the first two rounds.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2019, 10:16 PM)iowahwky4cincy Wrote: People talk a lot about drafting a TE in case Eifert doesn't return or finally fails to pan out. Iowa's Noah Fant is a name thrown around quite a bit, and understandably so (he wasn't really used to his potential in college, IMO). But as a Hawkeye guy, I think Iowa's "other" TE, TJ Hockenson, is actually a better player at that position. Think George Kittle. Additionally, Fant could line up as a mismatch wideout in the slot, which he did some at Iowa. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he was drafted by someone with that in mind. Imagine Hockenson, Fant, and a healthy Eifert in this offense.

That said, the Bengals should get the RT and LB situations worked out in the first two rounds.

If the Bengals do as you suggest, and address OL and LB with their first two picks, I would find it highly unlikely that either of the Iowa TEs are on the board, come the 3rd round.  Are you thinking they make some moves, in order to get some extra selections in the first two rounds?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
We need TE depth for sure, but c'mon, they would be complete idiots not to resign Eifert with an incentive laden contract. When he's healthy, he's one of the best in the game. If he gets injured again, he really costs nothing. It's all win with no downside. I'd resign Kroft and Uzo, they have both proven themselves. Then maybe let draft one.... Mason will be back healthy to compete for a spot as well.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2019, 11:04 AM)Sled21 Wrote: We need TE depth for sure, but c'mon, they would be complete idiots not to resign Eifert with an incentive laden contract. When he's healthy, he's one of the best in the game. If he gets injured again, he really costs nothing. It's all win with no downside. I'd resign Kroft and Uzo, they have both proven themselves. Then maybe let draft one.... Mason will be back healthy to compete for a spot as well.

If Eifert is signed, makes the roster, and then goes down again, it certainly does cost something.  It will cost a valuable roster spot, and leave the team with a void in a pivotal spot, again.  

Sure, we all love Eifert, and what he can do when he's able to play.  But, how many times are they supposed to count on him, before they realize that it's just not meant to be?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Instead of counting on a guy snakebit like Eifert, they should plan as if he will NOT be available, then if he is in some manner it is gravy.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(01-28-2019, 11:28 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If Eifert is signed, makes the roster, and then goes down again, it certainly does cost something.  It will cost a valuable roster spot, and leave the team with a void in a pivotal spot, again.  

Sure, we all love Eifert, and what he can do when he's able to play.  But, how many times are they supposed to count on him, before they realize that it's just not meant to be?

At some point though, I think Eifert is just unlucky as the elbow and ankle injury I don't think any player in the league could've escaped those hits without being injured.  The back problem however will probably always plague him and it's probably more about pain management than actual healing.

I say let's take another chance and hope the football gods shine down on him for once.  I just don't see replacing his talent without using a 1st round pick on a TE.  
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2019, 12:31 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: At some point though, I think Eifert is just unlucky as the elbow and ankle injury I don't think any player in the league could've escaped those hits without being injured.  The back problem however will probably always plague him and it's probably more about pain management than actual healing.

I say let's take another chance and hope the football gods shine down on him for once.  I just don't see replacing his talent without using a 1st round pick on a TE.  

Maybe the team could act in a preemptive manner, and stash him on the designated to return IR, and save him for the back half of the season?  Then, when the rest of the TEs are beaten and battered, we have a fresh, good one to pull out of the closet.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2019, 12:38 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Maybe the team could act in a preemptive manner, and stash him on the designated to return IR, and save him for the back half of the season?  Then, when the rest of the TEs are beaten and battered, we have a fresh, good one to pull out of the closet.

I like that idea!  Things were rolling pretty good while he was in there.  If we can get the OL fixed (again), lean on Mixon, maybe Eifert, Dalton, Green and Boyd could possibly survive the season.   ThumbsUp
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2019, 02:09 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: I like that idea!  Things were rolling pretty good while he was in there.  If we can get the OL fixed (again), lean on Mixon, maybe Eifert, Dalton, Green and Boyd could possibly survive the season.   ThumbsUp

That would be nice, but they have to get everyone involved.  For example, Brees threw TD passes to 15 different Saints this past season.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2019, 11:28 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If Eifert is signed, makes the roster, and then goes down again, it certainly does cost something.  It will cost a valuable roster spot, and leave the team with a void in a pivotal spot, again.  

This is precisely the problem that happened last year. By re-signing Eifert, it resulted in the position not being addressed through outside FA or the draft. They should have drafted OJ Howard at 9 in 2017 to prepare for Eifert's departure, and Howard could really have been a difference maker in both 2017 and 2018 when Eifert went down to injuries. Since that didn't happen, they have opportunity now to fill that void in the draft or outside FA (ideally with a pass catching TE if they plan on having a QB like Dalton). If Eifert is re-signed, he should not be counted on as the main contributor at that spot.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-28-2019, 03:47 PM)ochocincos Wrote: This is precisely the problem that happened last year. By re-signing Eifert, it resulted in the position not being addressed through outside FA or the draft. They should have drafted OJ Howard at 9 in 2017 to prepare for Eifert's departure, and Howard could really have been a difference maker in both 2017 and 2018 when Eifert went down to injuries. Since that didn't happen, they have opportunity now to fill that void in the draft or outside FA (ideally with a pass catching TE if they plan on having a QB like Dalton). If Eifert is re-signed, he should not be counted on as the main contributor at that spot.

I wanted OJ Howard myself... Honestly I wanted Allen when fell, but anyway... Howard missed more than a few games this year though too. Maybe that doesn't happen here, but we'll never know.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Upon a quick glance, this draft will be one of the best ever in terms of OT talent. Especially RT.

There will be RTs taken in the second round who would have been taken in the first in previous years.

Very weak in interior OL, QB, 4-3 LBs and DEs.

Also, interior DLine is very strong this year.

This is the draft where trading back and getting multiple second round picks make sense.

So, targeting LB and OG via FA and OT via draft would be ideal. Multiple OTs would be even better. Kick one inside.
Reply/Quote