Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Police Departments facing recruit shortages
http://www.economist.com/news/united-states/21713898-stronger-economy-partly-blame-police-departments-struggle-recruit-enough

Even though the article says the economy is only partly to blame, I still think they're overstating its impact on new recruits #s. The economy may be doing well as a whole, but people are still struggling. It feels like we never really left the recession.

That leaves the other 2 causes the article lists: The perception of increased danger and increased and sometimes ridiculous scrutiny towards cops. Say "it's not as dangerous" all you want, that doesn't change that it's getting MORE DANGEROUS.

You couldn't pay me enough to be a public servant. **** that. I can make more in the private sector and answer to myself and my boss; I'm not answering to a public sphere filled with smug morons who think they have all the answers.

That is....unless you're willing to compensate me adequately for it.

Incentives matter. The answer to this shortage in cops is increased wages, plain and simple. People are still struggling out here.

But until people figure this out and actually raise cop wages, it's still a mediocre to shit job where you devote your life to a public sphere of idiots.

This is coming from someone who doesn't have the greatest history with cops. But nowadays when I get pulled over, I don't just get a bit uneasy when that new recruit pulls me over.

I also think he's dumb and hopelessly naive.
Really? They are having trouble finding people to do a dangerous and thankless job? It doesn't matter how much they pay, some people aren't man/ woman enough to do it.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(01-11-2017, 11:06 PM)jason Wrote: Really? They are having trouble finding people to do a dangerous and thankless job? It doesn't matter how much they pay, some people aren't man/ woman enough to do it.

Pay doesn't matter at all when filling dangerous positions?

Why is there always a steady and large supply of Crab Fisherman come harvest time in Alaska? Are they just men looking for an outlet to exert their manliness after they drink their he tap and **** their wife?
(01-11-2017, 11:15 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Pay doesn't matter at all when filling dangerous positions?

Why is there always a steady and large supply of Crab Fisherman come harvest time in Alaska? Are they just men looking for an outlet to exert their manliness after they drink their he tap and **** their wife?
I don't get why people do that either. Also, I wasn't implying that all cops feel more manly than the next guy. I'm sure some do... I was only trying to say that law enforcement, just like Alaskan crab fisherman, ain't for everyone. I wouldn't work either job for more than one day for any amount of money. The same reason you said you'd never want to be a cop... I have easier options. God... Why would anyone want to be crab fisherman?

I'll never tell someone else how they should think. I just wouldn't go thinking that someone is a naive idiot because of their chosen profession... It's all options and variables my friend.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
It's just a no-win situation, being a cop now.
I know I wouldn't do it.

As far as the ego thing, they're people like anyone else.
Some are good, some are bad.
They also are trained to adapt to a situation.
If their experience tells them that acting extremely authoritative will cause the desired result in a situation, they'll do it.
If they think easy-going will work, that's the route they'll take.
Every situation is different (although many have similarities) and requires a gauged response.

Meh... maybe SSF will come along and explain better than my layman thoughts.
Police work, teaching, nursing are some of the so called higher calling professions.  Some do the work because they feel it is important work, rather than for the pay check.  As the article pointed out the short fall in recruiting is multi-factorial.  Increased wages and benefits would most likely be the easiest way to address recruitment because there is only so much that can be done about the perception of increased risk involved in police work and in improving the economy.  Problem is police departments aren't corporations where pay and benefits are tied to the product or service the corporation provides to the consumer.  Rather, their budgets are tax payer funded correct?  So how do we raise wages and benefits for police officers?  Same as we do for teachers, correct?  Either increased taxes or better management of funds.  What other ways can it be done?  Police recruitment and funding problems have probably been around as long as the police force itself.