Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Mississippi food
I've been in Mississippi for 3+ months and have experienced many good dishes. I've had deliciciosly experienced some shrimp skewers, very delicious BBQ, deep fried chicken/potato/squash/onion skewers, and the best damn burgers on the planet from a small out of business gas station turned into a seafood delicacy. Yeah, I said seafood. That's not a big fan of mine due to the high contents of mercury, which I struggle healthwise. I can eat seafood, but must use discipline in doing so or I will pay later with skin conditions. I saw a father and son walk into a gas station today and get boiled peanuts. That's one thing I have feared to try. Not sure why, but boiled peanuts? ugh!

There is a small restaurant about 1/2 mile down the road which serves a good gumbo, muffuletta, etc which I have had as well. Owners are from NOLA. Actually drive up and run the restruant during the week. Gotta talk to them about beer temp though, kind of chilled, not cold. 

So for those of you who have experienced the south, what are some of your favorite foods?

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2016, 12:23 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I've been in Mississippi for 3+ months and have experienced many good dishes. I've had deliciciosly experienced some shrimp skewers, very delicious BBQ, deep fried chicken/potato/squash/onion skewers, and the best damn burgers on the planet from a small out of business gas station turned into a seafood delicacy. Yeah, I said seafood. That's not a big fan of mine due to the high contents of mercury, which I struggle healthwise. I can eat seafood, but must use discipline in doing so or I will pay later with skin conditions. I saw a father and son walk into a gas station today and get boiled peanuts. That's one thing I have feared to try. Not sure why, but boiled peanuts? ugh!

There is a small restaurant about 1/2 mile down the road which serves a good gumbo, muffuletta, etc which I have had as well. Owners are from NOLA. Actually drive up and run the restruant during the week. Gotta talk to them about beer temp though, kind of chilled, not cold. 

So for those of you who have experienced the south, what are some of your favorite foods?

When I was in the Navy my ship was stationed out of Little Creek amphib base in VA Beach Virginia.  We (my girlfriend and friends) frequented the Outer Banks North Carolina often and there was a little place on the way that I can't recall the name of, but it was my first taste of NC BBQ.   Man was that delicious. I've been meaning to make a trip back down south, it's been a while but I loved it down there.   I've been to the Gulf Coast, and even NY and New Jersey (granted I was a kid), but I've always enjoyed the south Atlantic states, mainly the Carolina's.
Reply/Quote
Don't fear the boiled peanuts.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2016, 01:06 PM)Wyche Wrote: Don't fear the boiled peanuts.....

Dump them in an RC.
Reply/Quote
I prefer the "Egg, bacon, and spam" over the "Spam, egg, Spam, Spam, bacon and Spam"
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2016, 03:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I prefer the "Egg, bacon, and spam" over the "Spam, egg, Spam, Spam, bacon and Spam"

I haven't had spam for 30yrs. Sounds kinda good. No joke! But your speaking of northern spam. Mississippi spam sand which would be: spam, Gravy, shrimp, spam, mayo (no shit), bacon, rice,spam,gravy!  Whatever

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2016, 03:02 PM)Benton Wrote: Dump them in an RC.

As in cola?

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2016, 08:32 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: As in cola?

Yup.

http://www.coca-colacompany.com/stories/coke-and-peanuts-a-food-historian-speculates-on-how-it-got-started

Coke's trying to re-write history, but 60-70 years ago, the only thing more common than RC with peanuts in it was RC and moonpies.

Although, I'll admit, I never understood it. It just makes a salty soda. But when I was growing up it wasn't uncommon to go into a gas station and see somebody buying an RC and peanuts and dumping them together before they were out the door.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2016, 12:23 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I've been in Mississippi for 3+ months and have experienced many good dishes. I've had deliciciosly experienced some shrimp skewers, very delicious BBQ, deep fried chicken/potato/squash/onion skewers, and the best damn burgers on the planet from a small out of business gas station turned into a seafood delicacy. Yeah, I said seafood. That's not a big fan of mine due to the high contents of mercury, which I struggle healthwise. I can eat seafood, but must use discipline in doing so or I will pay later with skin conditions. I saw a father and son walk into a gas station today and get boiled peanuts. That's one thing I have feared to try. Not sure why, but boiled peanuts? ugh!

I grew up in Ohio and on the Gulf coast. Things to try while in the south: crab legs, fresh grilled cobia (make sure that it's really cobia cause a lot of places lie about it), gator ribs/tail, shrimp salad,peanut butter pie, raw oysters on a cracker with horseradish and hot sauce...That's all I have for the moment. Good luck and good eating...lol
(09-26-2016, 01:06 PM)Wyche Wrote: Don't fear the boiled peanuts.....

Love me some fresh boiled peanuts.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2016, 08:38 PM)Benton Wrote: Yup.

http://www.coca-colacompany.com/stories/coke-and-peanuts-a-food-historian-speculates-on-how-it-got-started

Coke's trying to re-write history, but 60-70 years ago, the only thing more common than RC with peanuts in it was RC and moonpies.

Although, I'll admit, I never understood it. It just makes a salty soda. But when I was growing up it wasn't uncommon to go into a gas station and see somebody buying an RC and peanuts and dumping them together before they were out the door.

My dad used to do this quite frequently.

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2016, 10:34 PM)Wyche Wrote: My dad used to do this quite frequently.

I'm definitely gonna try it
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2016, 03:02 PM)Benton Wrote: Dump them in an RC.

REP for the RC shout out.  Its the superior cola.
Reply/Quote
Not sure why boiled peanuts freak me out. I will try them, but fear the outcome. When I try, it will be the Cajun.

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2016, 08:38 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: I grew up in Ohio and on the Gulf coast. Things to try while in the south: crab legs, fresh grilled cobia (make sure that it's really cobia cause a lot of places lie about it), gator ribs/tail, shrimp salad,peanut butter pie, raw oysters on a cracker with horseradish and hot sauce...That's all I have for the moment. Good luck and good eating...lol

Love me some fresh boiled peanuts.

Fresh boiled peanuts are one thing, but avoid the bags that have been sitting for a few hours. Unless you're near a bathroom and have a good book  Ninja

Never saw gator ribs before. Tails - yes, but not ribs. Taste like chicken?

And give me a bucket of oysters, a pack of saltines, and a jar of sauce plus a six pack and I'm good for the evening!
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2016, 08:11 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Fresh boiled peanuts are one thing, but avoid the bags that have been sitting for a few hours. Unless you're near a bathroom and have a good book  Ninja

And give me a bucket of oysters, a pack of saltines, and a jar of sauce plus a six pack and I'm good for the evening!

Yes sir on the oysters and beer! 

Gator ribs taste sort of like a cross between pork and chicken. If done right they are much more tender than the tail meat which can be chewy. Dip them in some bbq sauce and times are good.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2016, 03:33 AM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Yes sir on the oysters and beer! 

Gator ribs taste sort of like a cross between pork and chicken. If done right they are much more tender than the tail meat which can be chewy. Dip them in some bbq sauce and times are good.

Well, throw some in a cooler the next time you come up and share those good times! Krogers doesn't stock 'em.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2016, 06:04 AM)wildcats forever Wrote: Well, throw some in a cooler the next time you come up and share those good times! Krogers doesn't stock 'em.

Jungle Jim's does.....

Reply/Quote
(09-27-2016, 07:59 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Not sure why boiled peanuts freak me out. I will try them, but fear the outcome. When I try, it will be the Cajun.

The Cajun ones are good....my favorite.

(09-27-2016, 08:11 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Fresh boiled peanuts are one thing, but avoid the bags that have been sitting for a few hours. Unless you're near a bathroom and have a good book  Ninja

Yes....fresh are best, my neighbor boils some for ball games and get togethers, they're addictive......me and my three year old daughter could probably kill three dozen oysters.

Reply/Quote
I lived in a little town here in Florida named Vernon for a couple of years. Now Vernon is quite an interesting tiny little town to say the least. It has quite the eclectic collection of colorful individuals that reside there and I believe that's always been the case.

It also has some of the most pristine and beautiful azure blue springs in North America.

There's an old documentary about the town and I believe it may be on netflix. It's an interesting but strange watch. It was filmed by some folks that were just passing through and found the people to be so interesting/different that they decided to do a doc on the town.

Anyhow, there used to be this little oyster/seafood bar there. I used to visit it pretty regular when I lived there.
I have tried many types of hot sauce over the years and usually enjoy it while priding myself on my ability to truly enjoy its burning tangy sensation. However, this one time at the oyster bar I was about 3 or 4 beers deep and started getting cocky so one of the guys told me to try this stuff named NAPALM on my oysters.

He warned me to use it sparingly. He warned me! The rest was all my fault..lol...Needless to say Napalm is without a doubt the most appropriately named hot sauce type of condiment that I have ever tried. It was so hot that I couldn't taste or even finish my last half a doz and that never happens.

Moral of the story is if it says Napalm on the label; be wary, be very wary cause it's not exaggerating in the least.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2016, 06:04 AM)wildcats forever Wrote: Well, throw some in a cooler the next time you come up and share those good times! Krogers doesn't stock 'em.

Sounds like a plan to me.
Reply/Quote