Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Mississippi food
There are a lot of people who sell oysters, crawfish and shrimp out of coolers placed in the trunks of their cars. Hehe, won't be buying any of that shit. Also a few people who similarly sell green peanuts.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
when i was in Houston i enjoyed cat fish PO-boys and craw fish.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2016, 08:38 PM)Benton Wrote: Yup.

http://www.coca-colacompany.com/stories/coke-and-peanuts-a-food-historian-speculates-on-how-it-got-started

Coke's trying to re-write history, but 60-70 years ago, the only thing more common than RC with peanuts in it was RC and moonpies.

Although, I'll admit, I never understood it. It just makes a salty soda. But when I was growing up it wasn't uncommon to go into a gas station and see somebody buying an RC and peanuts and dumping them together before they were out the door.

My wife told me about this the other day and it seemed new to me. I guess I never thought about this post you made months earlier. Probably because I was discussing boiled peanuts and she was talking regularly I guess. Or, could be an early sign of Alzheimer’s.

Reply/Quote
Just the name boiled nuts scares me off.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2018, 11:44 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Just the name boiled nuts scares me off.

Actually, they sell boiled peanuts at Walmart (in a can). I bought 2 cans but have been afraid to try them lol. I did finally try boiled peanuts in Mississippi before I left and they were delicious. Actually, they were friggen amazing!

Reply/Quote
My entire family is from northern Mississippi, so the regional cuisine of that area has obviously played a large effect on my life.

Catfish is certainly king in that area. I love it! My dad still fries it at home occasionally and it’s amazing. When possible, we have it shipped in from one of the farms down there.

Memphis style bbq holds the keys to my heart. By far my favorite thing on the planet.

One thing that is kind of unique to northern MS is that you can get tamales almost anywhere. They’re amazing too. The best are the ones sold in hole in the wall bbq restaurants.

Mississippi has a huge influx of Chinese immigrants after slavery was abolished. Therefore, it’s pretty easy to get some pretty tasty Americanized Chinese food!

Hunting culture is also crazy down there. Wild caught/killed meat certainly plays a large role in how their food is prepared.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2018, 02:33 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Actually, they sell boiled peanuts at Walmart (in a can). I bought 2 cans but have been afraid to try them lol. I did finally try boiled peanuts in Mississippi before I left and they were delicious. Actually, they were friggen amazing!

Told ya not to fear 'em. Wink

As for the canned variety.....just put em in the crock pot to warm them, and there ya go.  While not quite as good as fresh ones, they'll satisfy the craving.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I found a decent website called "South your Mouth." Pretty good recipes on there and so far I have made 2 and they turned out good.

Reply/Quote