Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Mitch McConnell has a "medical incident" at the podium
(07-27-2023, 11:21 AM)Nately120 Wrote: If people over 67 are mentally competent to vote, they shouldn't automatically be banned from serving or doing any job. 

Are people even retiring at 67 these days?

Weird….we can have a floor for the age requirement but not a ceiling? You might wanna rethink this position :)
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 11:53 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I might be a little more lax with Presidents as they already have term limits.  But if you're 70 in Congress you've been there long enough.  I mean how long was Strom Thurmond in office?  That's ridiculous.  For some reason term limits bother me a little, but not an age limit.

If people keep voting?  Meh, that's on us.  Mitch has won like a zillion elections and I'd bet my favorite testicle he has been significant older than his opponent for most of them. 

There are KY residents in here.  Ask them what the deal is.  

It would probably also help to get younger candidates if we scaled back the american tradition of thinking everyone who is younger than you is a wimpy lazy dumbass. 
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 11:58 AM)basballguy Wrote: Weird….we can have a floor for the age requirement but not a ceiling?  You might wanna rethink this position :)

Why is there a floor?  Let the voters decide. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 12:01 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Why is there a floor?  Let the voters decide. 

Well... in most regions, a baby with the right letter to its name would win over the most brilliant human being on earth with the wrong letter.

In general, I'd say ageism is not the answer. Some folks are mentally fit with 70, 75, even 80, plus have ton of experience. While youth does certainly not protect from stupidity.
Reply/Quote

Topical!
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 12:05 PM)hollodero Wrote: Well... in most regions, a baby with the right letter to its name would win over the most brilliant human being on earth with the wrong letter.

In general, I'd say ageism is not the answer. Some folks are mentally fit with 70, 75, even 80, plus have ton of experience. While youth does certainly not protect from stupidity.

This right here.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 01:11 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote:
Topical!

As long as politicians are automated D or R votes, what's the issue?  We can just vote for bi partisan placards as long as we find debate and compromise to be negatives. 
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 01:18 PM)Nately120 Wrote: As long as politicians are automated D or R votes, what's the issue?  We can just vote for bi partisan placards as long as we find debate and compromise to be negatives. 

jungle-style primaries and ranked-choice voting will slow down the impact of that.  But getting state legislators of either party to vote on it is a formidable task

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 11:21 AM)Nately120 Wrote: If people over 67 are mentally competent to vote, they shouldn't automatically be banned from serving or doing any job. 

Are people even retiring at 67 these days?

Maybe not. But you have to draw the line somewhere when it comes to political leadership. What we have now looks like a funeral alert.

Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 05:30 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Maybe not. But you have to draw the line somewhere when it comes to political leadership. What we have now looks like a funeral alert.

Voters can draw the line by not voting for old politicians.  As always, we have the power to stop this, we just choose not so...so why are we bothering to ask the government to stop us from making the choices we want to make? 

Plus, if the government made a law that no one over age 70 could run for office I really don't see people saying "Oh, the government banned something?  That's cool, I shouldn't flip out over this."

Fun fact:  you can run for any major office in Ohio at age 18.  Has Ohio had a teenager as governor yet?  Nope, the youngest governor at the moment in 41 and the median age of current governors is 66.  Seems like even when we have no floor to how young we can go, we like our politicians old.  Personally, I'm 41 and a millennial, so I'd imagine a lot of voters would hear that M word and declare me too young and wimpy and lazy for political office.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 01:23 PM)pally Wrote: jungle-style primaries and ranked-choice voting will slow down the impact of that.  But getting state legislators of either party to vote on it is a formidable task

Dissolving both the RNC and DNC and getting rid of their hold on election and campaign funding and process is the first step to having more than simply two parties to choose from.  I feel like there are enough true moderates roped into the Democrat and Republican parties to break away and form a strong and viable third party, which would leave the existing two for the extremists at either end of the spectrum.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 07:32 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Dissolving both the RNC and DNC and getting rid of their hold on election and campaign funding and process is the first step to having more than simply two parties to choose from.  I feel like there are enough true moderates roped into the Democrat and Republican parties to break away and form a strong and viable third party, which would leave the existing two for the extremists at either end of the spectrum.

You can't blame the RNC and DNC when voters don't want to vote 3rd party.  2016 was the last shot for a 3rd party when you had Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump representing the two major parties and a libertarian ticket with two successful governors got 3.3% of the vote.

Again, voters are just asking for the government to "fix itself" because we don't want to actually do the work for ourselves.

So let's tally things up here....we want younger candidates and we want a 3rd party.  Makes sense...now let's all vote for candidates who are over 77 years old and represent the D or the R and complain that the government continues to allow us to make such lamentable choices.

And yea, I realize voting for Jorgensen in 2020 was stupid, that's why I said 2016 was the last hurrah for a 3rd party.  The best chance we have at getting a 3rd party is Trump losing in 2024 and then losing the 2028 primary and forming the TRUMP WON party and keeping this nightmare going another 4-16 years.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 09:54 PM)Nately120 Wrote: You can't blame the RNC and DNC when voters don't want to vote 3rd party.  

How do you know that?  With the stranglehold that the National Committees have over each party, it creates the atmosphere of where if anyone deviates from "the norm", they're just wasting either their vote or in the case of politicians, their chances of ever becoming elected officials.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Has there been any clarity on what happened to him?

Or is this one those things the gop will ignore?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 10:02 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: How do you know that?  With the stranglehold that the National Committees have over each party, it creates the atmosphere of where if anyone deviates from "the norm", they're just wasting either their vote or in the case of politicians, their chances of ever becoming elected officials.

If enough people "waste their vote" on the same 3rd party candidate, that candidate will win and the vote not be wasted.  

Asking the RNC and DNC to be disbanded so you can vote 3rd party is like asking the government to make sugar illegal so you are forced to eat healthier.  You have to do it for yourself. 

If voters really want a 3rd party they're going to have to be able to vote that way while the rnc and dnc spend time and money trying to scare them into sticking with the status quo. 

Americans are supposed to be defiant and resilient but as soon as the federal government says you only get 2 political choices we shrink down and say "gee you're right, I give up."
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 10:18 PM)GMDino Wrote: Has there been any clarity on what happened to him?

Or is this one those things the gop will ignore?

nope, he claimed he was lightheaded but the moment had many hallmarks of an absence seizure.  Absence seizures can occur after a head injury like the one he had earlier this year.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(07-28-2023, 08:37 AM)pally Wrote: nope, he claimed he was lightheaded but the moment had many hallmarks of an absence seizure.  Absence seizures can occur after a head injury like the one he had earlier this year.

Got it.

Another thing that was telling is while there were the obvious calls for him to sept down due to age, illness I didn't see anyone calling him a "vegetable" unbale to think anymore so maybe we're making progress. 
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2023, 10:04 AM)GMDino Wrote: Got it.

Another thing that was telling is while there were the obvious calls for him to sept down due to age, illness I didn't see anyone calling him a "vegetable" unbale to think anymore so maybe we're making progress. 

Are you comparing MM to that Brussels sprout JB?  Sarcasm

Reply/Quote
Unless Mitch followed this by turning into a liberal, I dont see why anyone should care. Just primary him, I guess if he doesn't retire.

I say this as someone who didn't say that we should just agree to roll with a Trump henchman in PA because Fetterman stroked out.
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2023, 10:20 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Are you comparing MM to that Brussels sprout JB?  Sarcasm

No, when Fetterman had his stroke and the right proceeded to make fun of him rather than wish him well.

But your slip is showing Dr. Freud.
Reply/Quote