Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Mitch Wilcox and Brandon Allen
So far they haven't signed an UDFA QB nor picked one up in free agency. No way they are going into camp with just 2. What do you think the odds are Brandon Allen comes back but this time as QB3 not QB2?

Kind of the same scenario with Mitch Wilcox. Obviously with Smith and Sample TE #1 and #2 are already signed. It surprised me when they didn't tender Mitch Wilcox. I thought he was clearly better than Asiasi and the fact we never elevated a TE off the PS says he was clearly better than them as well. He is the one player I kept expecting to see a tweet announcing he was signed to a 1 year contract. Will we see him in camp?

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Kind of a mystery, huh? I have a hunch Wilcox has a gentleman's agreement with the team to sign, but from my understanding and I may be dead wrong, Wilcox had surgery and just waiting to see if he heals up in time..
Allen? Not sure, but if I had to guess Wilcox will be back and on the roster before all is said and done.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2023, 01:14 PM)pally Wrote: So far they haven't signed an UDFA QB nor picked one up in free agency.  No way they are going into camp with just 2.  What do you think the odds are Brandon Allen comes back but this time as QB3 not QB2?

Kind of the same scenario with Mitch Wilcox.  Obviously with Smith and Sample TE #1 and #2 are already signed.  It surprised me when they didn't tender Mitch Wilcox. I thought he was clearly better than Asiasi and the fact we never elevated a TE off the PS says he was clearly better than them as well.  He is the one player I kept expecting to see a tweet announcing he was signed to a 1 year contract.  Will we see him in camp?

Want Wilcox back, I think he is better than Sample overall, just as good of a blocker and a better pass catcher.

I like Browning better than Allen as a QB, he can run and can throw on the run and evades pressure much better than Allen.

Also surprised Wilcox has not been signed. He really went to battle last year and helped when Hurst went down in our win streak.

He should be rewarded for that, not just left out in the cold IMO.
Reply/Quote
Browning can't be the only QB participating in the upcoming camps so I imagine a UDFA or camp invite is forthcoming.
Reply/Quote
Equally surprised on Wilcox. He had the second most targets for our TE group last year. As Nate said, he really stepped up when Hurst went down.

I was surprised the Bengals have not tried to upgrade QB2. The Bengals built a Super Bowl contending team but then if Burrow misses a game or two, such as illness or concussion, then a good QB2 could be the difference between having a home game or away game in the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
I would rather have Wilcox back but I think its more likely we sign Allen -not to say we couldnt sign both of them but I think its more likely we sign Allen.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2023, 01:43 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Want Wilcox back, I think he is better than Sample overall, just as good of a blocker and a better pass catcher.

I like Browning better than Allen as a QB, he can run and can throw on the run and evades pressure much better than Allen.

Also surprised Wilcox has not been signed. He really went to battle last year and helped when Hurst went down in our win streak.

This, Wilcox over Sample any day, any time.
Reply/Quote
I'm counting on Wilcox being back in camp. I think the Bengals are letting him see if he can get more money elsewhere, but if he does not they will re-sign him. He came up pretty big in a couple of games last year.
Reply/Quote
My guess is Wilcox will compete with Asiasi for TE3. loser to PS.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2023, 01:43 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Want Wilcox back, I think he is better than Sample overall, just as good of a blocker and a better pass catcher.

I am a fan of Wilcox and was surprised that Sample was signed before (over ) him. Wilcox was steady and even took a bullet when Harris got hurt and had to try to long snap. He screwed it up but he took ownership of it and talked about. Seems like the kind of guy we want around.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2023, 05:13 PM)Danimal Wrote: I am a fan of Wilcox and was surprised that Sample was signed before (over ) him. Wilcox was steady and even took a bullet when Harris got hurt and had to try to long snap. He screwed it up but he took ownership of it and talked about. Seems like the kind of guy we want around.

No doubt. He is also respected by his teammates big time. You hear it when they talk about Mitch. I expect him to be back, also didn't 
understand signing Sample first though. Drew Sample hasn't done much for the team for a while now. Wilcox has.
Reply/Quote
Hayden Hurst
68 targets - 52 catches
414 yards
8.0 avg
2 TDs

Mitchell Wilcox
18 targets - 17 catches
139 yards
8.2 avg
1 TD

Yeah, bring him back.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2023, 05:13 PM)Danimal Wrote: I am a fan of Wilcox and was surprised that Sample was signed before (over ) him. Wilcox was steady and even took a bullet when Harris got hurt and had to try to long snap. He screwed it up but he took ownership of it and talked about. Seems like the kind of guy we want around.

I dont think you can blame Wilcox too much for that snap.  He wasnt the long snapper and he is put in a situation where he is expected to do a job he doesnt normally do.  I dont know how much time at practice he even spent doing it.  Hopefully he is brought back and if he is back up long snapper they also give him more practice time doing it.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2023, 07:56 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: I dont think you can blame Wilcox too much for that snap.  He wasnt the long snapper and he is put in a situation where he is expected to do a job he doesnt normally do.  I dont know how much time at practice he even spent doing it.  Hopefully he is brought back and if he is back up long snapper they also give him more practice time doing it.

I wasn’t blaming him, quite the opposite. I thought it was commendable that he stepped up and then took the heat when it went south. I’m a big Wilcox fan.
Reply/Quote
Now I'm dumbfounded as I could have SWORN that I read we signed Trevor Semian. Apparently not, as Bengals.com shows only Burrow and Browning.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals gave Wilcox an offer. I dont see Wilcox getting more from some other team and I think the Bengals believe they are fine without him. They obviously feel what they already have signed is good enough. In the draft they had a chance in the later rounds to pick guys like Mallory, Kuntz, Whyle, etc.. but passed
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2023, 06:24 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: No doubt. He is also respected by his teammates big time. You hear it when they talk about Mitch. I expect him to be back, also didn't 
understand signing Sample first though. Drew Sample hasn't done much for the team for a while now. Wilcox has.

Sample took a visit to Arizona and maybe that had an impact.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2023, 01:14 PM)pally Wrote: So far they haven't signed an UDFA QB nor picked one up in free agency.  No way they are going into camp with just 2.  What do you think the odds are Brandon Allen comes back but this time as QB3 not QB2?

Kind of the same scenario with Mitch Wilcox.  Obviously with Smith and Sample TE #1 and #2 are already signed.  It surprised me when they didn't tender Mitch Wilcox. I thought he was clearly better than Asiasi and the fact we never elevated a TE off the PS says he was clearly better than them as well.  He is the one player I kept expecting to see a tweet announcing he was signed to a 1 year contract.  Will we see him in camp?

I'd rather see Wilcox on the field than Sample, but at this point, we need to have both dressed on Sundays.  Us not taking a TE and especially Zack Kuntz in round 7 in this year's when we have plenty of DBs draft left me scratching my head about what ZT is thinking about our TE situation.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2023, 08:24 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Sample took a visit to Arizona and maybe that had an impact.

When at full strength, Sample contributes to the team in ways that don't show up on the stat sheet.  He was drafted because of his blocking ability, you can bet that they are confident that he'll be fully healthy, as they didn't want to see him waste the rest of his career with a team on the rebuild.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2023, 08:46 PM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: I'd rather see Wilcox on the field than Sample, but at this point, we need to have both dressed on Sundays.  Us not taking a TE and especially Zack Kuntz in round 7 in this year's when we have plenty of DBs draft left me scratching my head about what ZT is thinking about our TE situation.

NFL Network’s Bucky Brooks who I think is one of the best analysts by far just rated our draft class the best of all 32 teams. I guess Zac’s thinking about knocking it out of the park. Several others have said the greatest thing about our draft was not reaching. They liked Kincaid and La Porta but neither were close to them in the draft. I think that they just liked other players better. But you can’t fix everything in FA and the draft. I’m not comfortable with the situation but we fixed a lot of areas.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote