Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scores of this Seasons Games
Started looking back at the games this year, the games were a lot closer than I thought. A lot of one score possessions, and games that we could have won. Perhaps this season was a growing pain year, and we can hope for something better next year. We were never really healthy this year. Can't wait to start watching the Reds and start preparing for a more hopeful next year.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2019, 12:18 AM)Marlon23 Wrote: Started looking back at the games this year, the games were a lot closer than I thought.  A lot of one score possessions, and games that we could have won.  Perhaps this season was a growing pain year, and we can hope for something better next year.  We were never really healthy this year.  Can't wait to start watching the Reds and start preparing for a more hopeful next year.

They chargers and lions have lost a lot of games by 1 score or less.

There isnt a lot of lee-way for error in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
NFL Teams are never healthy.

Through 9-10 weeks our margin of defeat and offensive ranks were similar to the 1993 Bengals team.

At the end of the day, you play to win games. Close losses is something teams with 1 win point to because they only have 1 win.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2019, 12:44 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: They chargers and lions have lost a lot of games by 1 score or less.

There isnt a lot of lee-way for error in the NFL.

Right...it's like chess. People say 'Oh If I didn't make that mistake I would have won.' Well that's how chess games are decided.

In the NFL, even the worst of the worst don't lose by 20-30 points every game. Heck, the Dolphins were getting blown out early in the year and have 3 wins now.

We played some close games and have 1 win.
Reply/Quote
Well...I suppose it's probably a good thing the bengals don't play hand grenades..or horseshoes. On the other hand they're perfectly suited for both, but mostly the first.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Scores in most NFL games are very close these days. It’s part of the league’s new design for the game; parity for all. Of the 12 game Cincinnati has played, only against the Jets did I sense the Bengals were out to win it from the first snap.
Reply/Quote
The Browns lost games by marginal points for years.

It says nothing about a team.

They went through QBs and fired coaches and GMs through those years.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Like several have said there's a ton of NFL games every year won by one score. The majority of NFL games are fairly close. The narrative the media puts out there about by how little team A is losing by is just hoopla. It doesn't prove or disprove anything. You either lose or you win, that's all.

The last time I checked the Bengals are only averaging 16 points a game, you're not going to win many like that.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2019, 12:18 AM)Marlon23 Wrote: Started looking back at the games this year, the games were a lot closer than I thought.  A lot of one score possessions, and games that we could have won.  Perhaps this season was a growing pain year, and we can hope for something better next year.  We were never really healthy this year.  Can't wait to start watching the Reds and start preparing for a more hopeful next year.

That's the difference between a good team and a bad team. The good teams figure out how to win and the bad teams don't.

There's no hidden bright spot in this season's 1-11 start. It's the worst record in the NFL.

Reply/Quote
We have 178 points for and 298 points against for a -119 point differential. That's REALLY bad. 2nd worst in the NFL behind the Dolphins and they have 3 wins.

The 1993 Bengals with Dave Shula had 187 points for and 319 points against. We're basically the same as Dave Shula's worst year. We'll likely score more points, but give up more too.
Reply/Quote
The 2009 cardiac cat bengals were (imo) a precursor to the dysfunctional 2010 bengals.

Many thought the 10-win 2009 bengals would build on their previous division sweeping year, and they completely collapsed in 2010. Winning only 4 games.

Point is: the margin of victory never tells the true essence of a team.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2019, 01:55 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: The 2009 cardiac cat bengals were (imo) a precursor to the dysfunctional 2010 bengals.

Many thought the 10-win 2009 bengals would build on their previous division sweeping year, and they completely collapsed in 2010. Winning only 4 games.

Point is: the margin of victory never tells the true essence of a team.

Progression in the NFL doesn't seem to be linear. Like IF we win 3 of the last 4...I doubt that we're 10-6 next year.

Each year seems to be fairly independent. The difference being, teams like the Pats and Steelers are usually good each year.

We could win 6-7 games next year and then 4 the year after. You never know.

Heck - We brought back nearly the same roster as last year, had better healthy...and 1 win!
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2019, 12:31 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Progression in the NFL doesn't seem to be linear. Like IF we win 3 of the last 4...I doubt that we're 10-6 next year.

Each year seems to be fairly independent. The difference being, teams like the Pats and Steelers are usually good each year.

We could win 6-7 games next year and then 4 the year after. You never know.

Heck - We brought back nearly the same roster as last year, had better healthy...and 1 win!

Yep, losing seasons preceded both our SB runs.  1987 in particular, if memory serves, was a particularly crap year.  So, who knows what 2020 will bring.

Just kidding, we know  Sad
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
If Joe Burrow turns out as good as he looks and we stay on pace to get him; then this season might be the best thing to ever happen to this franchise.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2019, 07:04 PM)Weazzel80 Wrote: If Joe Burrow turns out as good as he looks and we stay on pace to get him; then this season might be the best thing to ever happen to this franchise.

Burrow is going to need developed when he gets here. He's going to need a good system. He's going to need talent around him. He's going to need blocking.

We're not just a QB away from being elite.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2019, 11:20 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Burrow is going to need developed when he gets here. He's going to need a good system. He's going to need talent around him. He's going to need blocking.

We're not just a QB away from being elite.

Exactly! And can anyone actually see Taylor being the guy who can turn these guys into a winner? That is anyone who isn't on the sauce all day and night.

If they take Burrow in the first, what clunker will they take in the 2nd who will still be a rookie in 2022?

Team needs a lot of holes filled and with the talent bleeding out to other teams, the Bengals are sinking faster each season.

Besides, will Burrow even sign with the Bengals? He doesn't have to and he might not.

Reply/Quote
(12-08-2019, 11:30 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Exactly! And can anyone actually see Taylor being the guy who can turn these guys into a winner? That is anyone who isn't on the sauce all day and night.

If they take Burrow in the first, what clunker will they take in the 2nd who will still be a rookie in 2022?

Team needs a lot of holes filled and with the talent bleeding out to other teams, the Bengals are sinking faster each season.

Besides, will Burrow even sign with the Bengals? He doesn't have to and he might not.

I read some reporters on Twitter excited by Burrow who think we can turn our offense around in a hurry with the right offseason moves...aka signing offensive lineman.

There are a lot of teams with cap space too. Several more than us that will spend it.
Reply/Quote