Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixon 2020
To me, this is the biggest gaff of 2020. We extend this guy for a substantial amount but can’t even build a running game around him. Long before his injury, we are throwing 50+ times a game with a rookie QB instead of handing it off to the workhorse we paid.

He has <500 yards on the season, and outside of a 151 yard performance against a bad Jax team, he can just barely average over 50 yards rushing a game.

Then the complete mismanagement of his injury.
What is it? Why did it take so long for him to get to IR? Is he coming back, does he even want to?

Going into 2020, the vision should have been clear. Build a running game around Mixon that 1) protects your QB and 2) utilizes the money you spent. You can’t sit here and say throwing so much helped us win games....

Just another big WTF from this staff.
Reply/Quote
It highlights the importance of scheme in the AFCN specifically. The finesse schemes we see in LA, the Saints, and KC, may not work (and thus be weary of the next Offensive minded HC's coming from one of these teams, and a nod to the ideal a HC from the Defensive side may be best afterall) in the AFCN. That's one thing Marvin got right.

I still think Mixon can be worth the money, but we'll need a HC that understands AFCN football. One whose team plays with physicality and poise with a dominant run game, and tough defense.

Where play action actually fools a defense. Instead of the D blowing past the razzle dazzle to sack the QB.

Can you have a physical run team with an elite QB? Or is the ideal that these spread them out offenses are soft inacurate?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2020, 08:30 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Then the complete mismanagement of his injury.
What is it? Why did it take so long for him to get to IR? Is he coming back, does he even want to?

If you don't know the answer to the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th sentences, then your 1st sentence is baseless.
Reply/Quote
Reminds me of Rudi Johnson.

I forget the stats of it, but basically the higher rudis carries, them more we scored. But he was frustrated because carson wanted to throw.

We just need to find a balance, which is hard to do with injuries and a crap OL.
Reply/Quote
You don't pay $10+ mill APY to a RB and then make an offense pass-oriented.
If the Bengals really want to have a good rushing attack, they need a guy like Brian Daboll or Arthur Smith who knows how to build and operate an offense like that.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Mixon right now isn’t worth the money because he is not a good scheme fit. Giovani Bernard however is.
Reply/Quote
So he's been out since week 6? Does anyone have any insight?

Did he actually break something? Was there a setback? Did they know he'd miss the entire year and just not say it?

Seems odd that it's lasted 2.5 months though and initially seemed like it may be a 2-3 week thing.
Reply/Quote
Yep

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Mixon-2020

I asked the same questions. They really mishandled his injury and have been VERY quiet about it.
Reply/Quote
Have they even said what the injury is ?
Reply/Quote
Remember, the game he got hurt in he actually got hurt before halftime, and went in to the locker room early. Then he came back out and played the 2nd half.

So did he hurt it worse by coming out, or did he just play through the pain? And why did they wait 5 weeks to put him on IR? What was going on in that timeframe that changed how long they thought he'd be out?

We still don't know anything about the injury exceot that it's his foot. Usually you'll find out the injury details through the media but in this case we've gotten no real updates.

The whole thing is just so odd.
Reply/Quote
I doubt their doctors botch things...I think the Bengals purposely give misinformation...which makes them look inept. But, they just hold stuff back so other teams arent sure how to plan and possibly they dont want to freak out ticket sales. That's my guess.

They probably knew he was out for the year when it happened much like Green last year.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2020, 03:00 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Yep

I asked the same questions. They really mishandled his injury and have been VERY quiet about it.

You don't know that because you don't even know what the injury is. And FWIW the Bengals training staff is very good.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2020, 03:00 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Yep

How do you know it was mishandled if you don't know what it is

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(12-26-2020, 05:57 PM)Sled21 Wrote: You don't know that because you don't even know what the injury is. And FWIW the Bengals training staff is very good.

I think that's the point of my thread though. To miss 9-10 weeks, it has to be more severe than a minor strain...or he had a setback. Or something is broken.

You generally dont miss 9-10 weeks with a minor injury.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2020, 06:06 PM)pally Wrote: How do you know it was mishandled if you don't know what it is

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Mishandled by not putting him on IR sooner. Not the actual injury itself.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2020, 08:22 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Mishandled by not putting him on IR sooner. Not the actual injury itself.

I'm not sure they know how the IR works. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
It's time we stop looking at Mixon as elite. He's above average and has big games here and there.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2020, 09:47 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's time we stop looking at Mixon as elite. He's above average and has big games here and there.

I wanted to bring him back and I'm having 2nd thoughts.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2020, 09:47 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's time we stop looking at Mixon as elite. He's above average and has big games here and there.

Behind an offensive line which could actually run block Joe Mixon might be much better. The line has three basic issues not in their favor: The scheme is wrong, blocks are not sustained, and gap integrity breaks down.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2020, 10:27 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Behind an offensive line which could actually run block Joe Mixon might be much better.  The line has three basic issues not in their favor:  The scheme is wrong, blocks are not sustained, and gap integrity breaks down.

Behind a good run blocking line, many rbs woukd look good.

We're at the crux of the pay rb bog money debate. If a back needs a really good line to put up numbers, he isnt worth the money. Instead pay lineman.
Reply/Quote