Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixon 2020
Joe Mixon was hit behind the line of scrimmage alot. He had one of the lowest yards before contact in the NFL.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2020, 11:11 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Behind a good run blocking line, many rbs woukd look good.

We're at the crux of the pay rb bog money debate. If a back needs a really good line to put up numbers, he isnt worth the money. Instead pay lineman.

Exactly!

The Bengals got better rushing production from Rudi Johnson, Bernard Scott, Cedric Benson, Benjarvus Green-Ellis, and Jeremy Hill because the run blocking was far better than it has been recently.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2020, 06:20 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think that's the point of my thread though. To miss 9-10 weeks, it has to be more severe than a minor strain...or he had a setback. Or something is broken.

You generally dont miss 9-10 weeks with a minor injury.

I've had plantar fasciitis in my right foot for the duration of 2020... I don't know that's what's up with Mixon, but some things can definitely linger.

I'm also now firmly in the camp of not paying a RB... None of 'em. Ride them into the ground for 3-4 years, then get another one.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2020, 09:47 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's time we stop looking at Mixon as elite. He's above average and has big games here and there.

Elite? No. He’s not up there with Henry, Kamara, Cook, Chubb, etc. I’d say he’s still a top 10 RB though when healthy. And he’s only ever played behind terrible OL’s at the NFL level.

Reply/Quote
Until there's a desire to run the ball by this team, spending anything more than a rookie contract on a RB is a waste of money. And I like Mixon as the Bengals RB, but he's being wasted under Taylor. Mixon is a much better receiver than he's utilized as. He's really a RB who can carry it 25 times a game with 5 catches and be a potent part of the scheme. Alas, it will never be with Taylor there.

Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 12:29 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Until there's a desire to run the ball by this team, spending anything more than a rookie contract on a RB is a waste of money. And I like Mixon as the Bengals RB, but he's being wasted under Taylor. Mixon is a much better receiver than he's utilized as. He's really a RB who can carry it 25 times a game with 5 catches and be a potent part of the scheme. Alas, it will never be with Taylor there.

Agreed and that was my main gripe, if you’re gonna pay him, use him!

However, is he the 25 carry type back? He’s been injured on a few different occasions and sometimes I wonder if the coaching staff (both ML and ZT) purposefully limit his carries.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 12:29 AM)BengalChris Wrote:  He's really a RB who can carry it 25 times a game with 5 catches and be a potent part of the scheme. Alas, it will never be with Taylor there.

I'm officially off the Taylor bandwagon, but I have to disagree. I just don't think Taylor has figured that out yet. In hindsight, this could be the cardinal sin of bringing a QB coach to HC. He's all about the passing game right now. Let's hope he get's it. You think he would after last week but IDK?

Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 12:41 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I'm officially off the Taylor bandwagon, but I have to disagree. I just don't think Taylor has figured that out yet. In hindsight, this could be the cardinal sin of bringing a QB coach to HC. He's all about the passing game right now. Let's hope he get's it. You think he would after last week but IDK?

I don't think he gets it. The team improved the running game last year during the second half of the season. But then promptly forgot all about it this year. Now there's two games left and they've got a mere 3 wins to show for it.

Reply/Quote
Yep. The coaching staff took a roster with a very highly paid RB duo and decided to telegraph a bunch of throws by going empty set all season. It's like how they've been caught trying to play 4-3 DEs at OLB, offball LBs at EDGE, have stuck Bell in man coverage against fast receivers, had the safeties allow WRs over the top when they were beating Pitt, rushing 3(or 3 DTs and Wilson) against the Chargers, blown timeouts, getting Burrow killed with ludicrous pass attempts, etc. The macro strategy seems to argue with the employed tactics and vice versa. This is why I'm incapable of having any hope until Taylor is gone and there is some kind of a qualified decision maker who outranks Tobin.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 12:47 AM)BengalChris Wrote: I don't think he gets it. The team improved the running game last year during the second half of the season. But then promptly forgot all about it this year. Now there's two games left and they've got a mere 3 wins to show for it.

I agree with you there BC. He had Joe Burrow and let his talent go to his coaching head. He used him foolishly.

Reply/Quote