Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixon Ankle Update Monday Oct. 4th
(10-04-2021, 08:49 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Anyone who is supremely talented is going to become the focal point of the offense. They force the coaches hands. Nobody gets an All-Pro caliber offensive skill player and then doesn't get them the ball. 

Yeah in a perfect world but it happens all the time where coaches/playcallers out think themselves. I'm not saying Mixon is the most talented or where he ranks but so much of a running backs success is the blocking of the team and the play designs. 
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2021, 04:30 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I agree that the Bengals aren't going to cut Mixon after this season, but....

Dalvin Cook career average of 4.7 YPC, best year of 1,557 rushing yards/16 rushing TDs, 361 receiving yards/0 TDs
CMC career average of 4.6 YPC, best year of 1,387 rushing yards/15 rushing TDs, 1,005 receiving yards/4 TDs
Joe Mixon career average of 4.1 YPC, best year of 1,168 rushing yards/8 rushing TDs, 296 receiving yards/1 TD

Thinking that Cook, CMC, and Mixon are in the same place as far as talent and production ceiling shown is just not true, so they're always going to be treated differently. If Ed Reed missed 2 seasons, he's going to get more slack than if Jessie Bates missed 2 seasons. Doesn't mean Jessie Bates isn't good, but he's not Ed Reed good. Mixon is a good RB, but he has nowhere near the ceiling as Cook and CMC.

CMC is a different player then most any running back but I really don't think the gap between Mixon and Cook is that great. The gap in production for those two I would place completely at the feet of coaching and scheme. Cook is used correctly, there are times without question where the Bengals since drafting him have just given up on the run far too soon. Mixon was projected as the #1 back and a 1st round talent if not for punching the girl. Different line, different coaching and he'd be producing on Cook's level.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2021, 08:49 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Anyone who is supremely talented is going to become the focal point of the offense. They force the coaches hands. Nobody gets an All-Pro caliber offensive skill player and then doesn't get them the ball. 

Compare the Oline Mixon has run behind vs the other RBs. He's not Deion Sander, but none of these guys are. Mixon has been a top 10 back behind a top 5 worst line the last couple of years. 

Mixon has been a better back then Cook in 3 out of 4 years so far behind what some people here consider one of the worst Olines ever during most of that time. 
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2021, 12:39 AM)TheFan Wrote: Compare the Oline Mixon has run behind vs the other RBs. He's not Deion Sander, but none of these guys are. Mixon has been a top 10 back behind a top 5 worst line the last couple of years. 

Mixon has been a better back then Cook in 3 out of 4 years so far behind what some people here consider one of the worst Olines ever during most of that time. 

Dalvin Cook also runs behind bad o-lines

I’m not sure if you know this..
Reply/Quote
https://www.cincyjungle.com/platform/amp/2021/10/4/22708950/bengals-joe-mixon-injury-news-packers-nfl-week-5

Out a few weeks
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2021, 12:50 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: Dalvin Cook also runs behind bad o-lines

I’m not sure if you know this..

You do know there's a difference between run blocking and pass blocking? 

Minnesota traditionally has been pretty solid in run blocking but bad at pass blocking. They ranked top 5 in run blocking last year while then bengals were a solid 26th. Obviously Cook made them look a little better like Mixon does ours but there's a big difference between overall line play and run vs pass. 

In 2019 Vikings offensive line was ranked 19th over all but 27th for pass blocking. That means, again, their run blocking was really good. The Bengals have sucked at both for years. 
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2021, 08:36 AM)Whacked Wrote: https://www.cincyjungle.com/platform/amp/2021/10/4/22708950/bengals-joe-mixon-injury-news-packers-nfl-week-5

Out a few weeks

Cincy Jungle huh.... call me skeptical.
Reply/Quote
ZT said day to day. After Schefter's piece. Said Mixon wants to play. We'll see later this week.

Good news on Bates, Awuzie, & Allen. Getting half of your secondary back certainly helps. Especially with Rodgers coming to town. Bates is our best defender. Awuzie being back would mean out top 3 corners could play together for the first time since 2019. And getting Allen back would mean our first choice 3 safety look would be available on passing downs, with Allen next to Bates 9n the back end & Bell sliding up next to Wilson as a de facto LB.

Getting Higgins back would help the O tremendously. CJ seems back & bouncy again. Burrow more mobile & confident. XSF would give us our full compliment of O-lineman.

Only areas we are hurting would be RB (Mixon) and DE (Ossai, Kareem).
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2021, 08:36 AM)Whacked Wrote: https://www.cincyjungle.com/platform/amp/2021/10/4/22708950/bengals-joe-mixon-injury-news-packers-nfl-week-5

Out a few weeks

Did you even read the article? It says he MIGHT not play this weekend and that he COULD be put on IR for 3 weeks. Nowhere in your own article does it definitively say he's out for a "few weeks".
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote

Out a few weeks

He is quoting the Schefter article that started this thread.  Cincyjungle does very little independent reporting.  We won't know until later this week.  It will depend on whether he is capable of cutting or not.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Fantasy football has perine the #1 pickup and has him getting 10.5.. I hope that's not a sign of Mixon being out.. I do not want to watch a full game of Putz Perine.. I'd go with Evans if Mixon is out..
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2021, 12:51 PM)Tony Wrote: Fantasy football has perine the #1 pickup and has him getting 10.5.. I hope that's not a sign of Mixon being out.. I do not want to watch a full game of Putz Perine.. I'd go with Evans if Mixon is out..

Damien Williams is the better pick up IMO

anyways, I’m hoping for an Evans/Perine split like Denver does with their RB’s

I know evans can catch well, but I’m not sure how well he runs between the tackles
Reply/Quote

Mixon is much, much better than most Cincinnati fans realize, although as a general rule it’s just a bad investment to pay running backs. They’re fungible commodities, especially now than not a single one these days is anything close to durable.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(10-04-2021, 04:05 PM)lone bengal Wrote: I want Mixon to play but I’m honestly more worried about Bates, Awuzie and Higgins not playing feel like they play more important positions. If Joe can’t go I’m interested to see what Evans can do with more opportunities, especially in the passing game. I think Perine kinda stinks but long as he the hits the hole and gets positive yards when it’s there I’ll be happy.

They're all going to play, don't worry.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2021, 04:55 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: A week off for Mixon might be a blessing in disguise. He's been on pace for too many carries.

Thinking the same thing. Might be a good idea to rest him and give Evans some more chances.

Mixon better be near 100% for the Packers game for him to play IMO.

Hope Bates, Higgins, Awuzie play.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2021, 12:55 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Damien Williams is the better pick up IMO

anyways, I’m hoping for an Evans/Perine split like Denver does with their RB’s

I know evans can catch well, but I’m not sure how well he runs between the tackles

I think Evans will get more of a production boost then Perine if Mixon is out, just have a feeling the coaches like what they have in him and his ability to be a home run threat unlike Perine.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote