Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixon Gives Kids New Bikes!
Mixon teamed up with Strikes For Kids in Cincinnati and got 28 kids new bikes!

On top of that, he also treated them to pizza, soft drinks, and arcade games!

Quote:Ever since he took over the Cincinnati Bengals’ head coaching job, Zac Taylor has preached high character from his players. The staff hasn’t kept many holdovers from the Marvin Lewis era, but the ones who have stuck are those bearing fruit on and off of the football field.

Tyler Boyd and Sam Hubbard have embraced their veteran leadership roles in the locker room, with the latter being nominated as the team’s Walter Payton Man of the Year representative. But, so has Joe Mixon, who is also in the middle of his best professional season as the team’s running back.

Earlier this month as a kickoff to the holiday season, Mixon teamed up with Strikes For Kids to provide new bicycles to children in the Cincinnati area. The kids who benefitted were aligned with the Boys and Girls Club of Greater Cincinnati program.

“This community has embraced me and become a second home for me, so to be able to give back and inspire these children is the least I can do,” said Mixon at the event.

Since joining the Bengals back in the 2017 NFL Draft, Mixon has deeply involved himself in helping the local community and back home in Northern California. He has become a fan favorite with his play, his exuberant nature on the field and in his involvement with endeavors such as these.

This particular event was a great event, as the holidays approach. Kudos to Mixon for reaching out to families in need.

They're nice bikes!

[Image: MixonBikes.jpg]

[Image: MixonKids.jpg]

[Image: Mixonpizza.jpg]

He's doing great things while having an amazing season!

WHO-DEY!
Reply/Quote
This stuff really warms the heart.. Thanks for sharing..
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2021, 02:33 AM)Tony Wrote: This stuff really warms the heart.. Thanks for sharing..

Mine too! We have players with great character!
Reply/Quote
Great job Joe!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Nice job Joe.

Reply/Quote
This is cool to see. The kids got a bike, pizza, and were able to hang out with an NFL player. I like seeing the pro athletes do this stuff. Good for Joe.
Reply/Quote
Nice gesture, but this is what is known as boilerplate public relations. Have one of your marquee players spend a few bucks and hang out with some kids for the day for the cameras.. The guy is paid multi-millions of dollars so 28 kids bicycles and some pizza is chicken feed compared to doing nothing or just being a jerk year round.. Back in the old days these guys would do the same thing, hang out with kids having fun, spending money on them then at night head straight to the bars and whorehouses.. Think Babe Ruth, etc..    Cool
 Really cheap public relations when you consider any one of these multi million dollar players could easily afford to buy each of those kids a new house instead.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-22-2021, 10:45 AM)grampahol Wrote: Nice gesture, but this is what is known as boilerplate public relations. Have one of your marquee players spend a few bucks and hang out with some kids for the day for the cameras.. The guy is paid multi-millions of dollars so 28 kids bicycles and some pizza is chicken feed compared to doing nothing or just being a jerk year round.. Back in the old days these guys would do the same thing, hang out with kids having fun, spending money on them then at night head straight to the bars and whorehouses.. Think Babe Ruth, etc..    Cool
 Really cheap public relations when you consider any one of these multi million dollar players could easily afford to buy each of those kids a new house instead.. 

I get what you mean, but I also don't view it as my prerogative to tell Joe Mixon how to spend his money. It's a nice gesture even if he could afford to do more.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2021, 11:02 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I get what you mean, but I also don't view it as my prerogative to tell Joe Mixon how to spend his money. It's a nice gesture even if he could afford to do more.

Absolutely.. Spend it how he wants otherwise it's not his to begin with..  I've always suspected these kinds of photo ops are funded by the team or even the league, but I dunno.. It's not like NFL stars have to live on foodstamps and medicaid..  Either way it's dirt cheap boilerplate PR..  Any marquee player not doing some kind of feel good PR isn't usually around very long.. The one player who went way beyond boilerplate PR was Chad Johnson, but I suspect he had sponsors paying for a lot of it. Chad built his own brand among brands.. There are always ways for a good PR company to find sponsors for these kinds of events.. The bicycle company certainly wouldn't mind seeing their brand in the pictures.. In the PR business it's called coop advertising.. Example: when a store throws an expensive item on sale for a loss it's called a loss leader and it's usually the manufacturer or distributor paying for it. Customers always think it's the store just being nice.. LOL

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-22-2021, 11:07 AM)grampahol Wrote: Absolutely.. Spend it how he wants otherwise it's not his to begin with..  I've always suspected these kinds of photo ops are funded by the team or even the league, but I dunno.. It's not like NFL stars have to live on foodstamps and medicaid..  Either way it's dirt cheap boilerplate PR..  Any marquee player not doing some kind of feel good PR isn't usually around very long..

You might be right about the team wanting PR. For every Mixon story like this, there are also the unaccounted acts pro athletes do to help others. For example, after the Griffey Jr. era was done in Cincinnati, some media members would mention the stuff unnoticed by fans about Griffey's charitable work, donating money, giving his time to causes, and the such. So maybe some players doing it privately means the public ones are team driven? I have no idea.

Anyhow, hopefully those kids enjoyed their Mixon time!
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2021, 10:45 AM)grampahol Wrote: Nice gesture, but this is what is known as boilerplate public relations. Have one of your marquee players spend a few bucks and hang out with some kids for the day for the cameras.. The guy is paid multi-millions of dollars so 28 kids bicycles and some pizza is chicken feed compared to doing nothing or just being a jerk year round.. Back in the old days these guys would do the same thing, hang out with kids having fun, spending money on them then at night head straight to the bars and whorehouses.. Think Babe Ruth, etc..    Cool

LOL This is why we can't have nice things.

Reply/Quote
(12-22-2021, 11:11 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: LOL This is why we can't have nice things.

Cynics prevail!
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2021, 11:11 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: LOL This is why we can't have nice things.

That's right.. Screw these kids.. Buy US new houses instead..  Hilarious

Reply/Quote
(12-22-2021, 11:16 AM)grampahol Wrote: That's right.. Screw these kids.. Buy US new houses instead..  Hilarious

I could use a beach home, and remodeling my master bath is expensive. Help me Joe!
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2021, 01:07 PM)pdub2005 Wrote: I could use a beach home, and remodeling my master bath is expensive. Help me Joe!

Truth be told there's not a hell of a lot of new houses I'd want these days. So many of the houses I work in are built with the cheapest crap from the front curb to the back fence.. MDF trim and doors? Plastic plumbing fixtures, furnaces and water heaters in attics and doors with gaps you could put your foot through them? All for the low, low prices of maybe $2000 a month for 30+ years with a variable interest loan? No thanks..  Shocked

Reply/Quote
Why we not invited
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2021, 01:43 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Why we not invited

Old age..Who wants to invite a bunch of middle age guys and old geezers to a pizza party and free bicycles?  We might even appear to be out of place in such a gathering.  Ninja

Reply/Quote
(12-22-2021, 02:33 AM)Tony Wrote: This stuff really warms the heart.. Thanks for sharing..

For sure!!!!
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2021, 01:43 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Why we not invited

Have you seen your posts in GD???????

Ha ha........I'm just messing with ya bro.    Tongue
Reply/Quote
Great job Joe
Reply/Quote