Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixon Has Big Game Against Buffalo
(09-21-2019, 12:31 PM)kevin Wrote: Again, with both top Left Tackles Williams and Glenn injured the odds of good pass blocking are slim and none.

So Focus more on smash mouth run plays that even Pee Wee teams have.  Power right or left of Center. Power right or left of Guards. Power right or left of Tackles. Pound The Rock.

Plus the Players Union really limits practice in pads and force pussyfoot practices in shorts and no pads like touch football.  So in the games in full uniforms and full pads catch up on the power football running plays and the heck with the players union and pussyfoot football. Get theses 300 pound dudes firing off hitting the line in September making up for lost time in no pads in practices.  

If all this team does is pass, they will get quarterbacks killed.  They have to start doing more running plays.  They have to get Mixon and Bernard into these games.  Get these 300 pound fat guys run blocking and earning their paychecks.   It will help protect the QB and Bengals need to start getting some rushing yards.  Pound The Rock.  

Again, with the 1st string and 2nd string Left Tackles out and injured, that blind side pass blocking is a huge problem.  So do more run blocking. I'll add look at all the NFL QB's injured after only week 2, and I say the players union no pad practices is causing more injuries, not stopping them.  So get out there and run the ball more and with all these NFL QB's getting injured, protect our QB.  Now a RB should be able to hit the line and be tough, or he isn't much of a RB.  Pound The Rock on Buffalo.

Have you watched this team? Our offensive line appears incapable of playing smashmouth football.

They have tried to run the ball...and can't.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2019, 12:31 PM)kevin Wrote: Again, with both top Left Tackles Williams and Glenn injured the odds of good pass blocking are slim and none.

So Focus more on smash mouth run plays that even Pee Wee teams have.  Power right or left of Center. Power right or left of Guards. Power right or left of Tackles. Pound The Rock.

I expect and hope our running game to get it to at least a mediocre level eventually, but pounding the rock right now and expecting anything other than a bunch of 3 and outs our craptastic defense getting gassed in no time is just wacky.

(09-21-2019, 12:31 PM)kevin Wrote: Plus the Players Union really limits practice in pads and force pussyfoot practices in shorts and no pads like touch football.  So in the games in full uniforms and full pads catch up on the power football running plays and the heck with the players union and pussyfoot football.

If this is what is killing the running game, shouldn't every team be averaging 1.6 YPC?  The 49ers ran all over us, and I don't think it's because they were allowed to practice harder than we were.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2019, 06:44 AM)grampahol Wrote: If it makes you feel any better kevin the New York Times picked us to win this week..
More importantly they picked Pittsburgh to lose to the 49ers..   We will likely have to compete with Miami and Pitt for the first overall pick next season.. Charming, eh?

Awesome! Pitt will be the next team to get lucky to transition from one good QB to the next. While we win the last two games of the season so we can have that momentum a freakin year later.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2019, 05:52 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I expect and hope our running game to get it to at least a mediocre level eventually, but pounding the rock right now and expecting anything other than a bunch of 3 and outs our craptastic defense getting gassed in no time is just wacky.

If this is what is killing the running game, shouldn't every team be averaging 1.6 YPC?  The 49ers ran all over us, and I don't think it's because they were allowed to practice harder than we were.

Maybe...just maybe...Jim Turner is not a good offensive line coach?

We could run with Pollack here and equally bad offensive lineman. Heck, Pollack had Price atleast looking good enough to play.

I doubt that any other NFL team would hire Turner as OLine Coach.

Our runs are all predictable too. We try to jam it up between the tackles...which doesn't work.
Reply/Quote
At this point I don't expect much from the rushing game. Joe and Gio migh break a long one here and there, and we will probably get better than 1.8 avg, but we just don't have a line.

We had a chance to cobble together a decent line before we lost Boling, Williams. and Glenn. Throw in in Price's falure to improve and we don't have a chance.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2019, 08:03 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Maybe...just maybe...Jim Turner is not a good offensive line coach?

We could run with Pollack here and equally bad offensive lineman. Heck, Pollack had Price atleast looking good enough to play.

I doubt that any other NFL team would hire Turner as OLine Coach.

Our runs are all predictable too. We try to jam it up between the tackles...which doesn't work.

There have been holes and there have been different guys breaking down at different times. The line will start to improve the more they play together. It's not a case of 'they're so bad, there's no way to improve'. 

One of the most fun things(psssst; sarcasm) about this board is that the longer something has to sit and stew, the worse and worse it gets in people's minds. Then they go out and do something positive and you don't hear how terrible it is until it happens a few times again. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2019, 08:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: At this point I don't expect much from the rushing game.  Joe and Gio  migh break a long one here and there, and we will probably get better than 1.8 avg, but we just don't have a line.

We had a chance to cobble together a decent line before we lost Boling, Williams. and Glenn.  Throw in in Price's falure to improve and we don't have a chance.

Tomorrow, the line will play as a unit and the running game will get real healthy. Mark it down. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2019, 09:09 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: There have been holes and there have been different guys breaking down at different times. The line will start to improve the more they play together. It's not a case of 'they're so bad, there's no way to improve'. 

One of the most fun things(psssst; sarcasm) about this board is that the longer something has to sit and stew, the worse and worse it gets in people's minds. Then they go out and do something positive and you don't hear how terrible it is until it happens a few times again. 

I just don't know that it will get better. If you look at all of our lineman individually, Hopkins is the only one that I could say is even Average.

Hart is bad. Price is terrible. Miller has been mediocre in his career and has been in and out of Buffalo's lineup. Andre Smith at this point in his career is bad.

I just don't see those guys all becoming quality NFL lineman.

But, of course we'll rush for a higher average over time. The fact that we're so low now is a statistical anamoly.
Reply/Quote
This seems pretty unlikely. It would be terrific, but shocking.

As has been said, these guys are just a collection of NFL bottom feeders along the o-line. You can have a guy or two like that on your line and be okay, but when 4/5 of your line is composed of has beens and never-will-bes, then this is the result you get.

It's the players. They suck. They've sucked for 2 years and they still do.
Reply/Quote
If Mixon can't get more than 40 yrds. this season is over. Simple as that.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2019, 10:50 PM)samhain Wrote: This seems pretty unlikely.  It would be terrific, but shocking.

As has been said, these guys are just a collection of NFL bottom feeders along the o-line.  You can have a guy or two like that on your line and be okay, but when 4/5 of your line is composed of has beens and never-will-bes, then this is the result you get.  

It'a the players.  They suck.  They've sucked for 2 years and they still do.

Interestingly over the past 3 seasons...they've switched up a lot of guys and it still is bad. Quite impressive if you think about it!
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2019, 11:01 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Interestingly over the past 3 seasons...they've switched up a lot of guys and it still is bad. Quite impressive if you think about it!

I'm also of the mind that Jim Turner is a shit OL coach.  His track record is nothing to get excited about.  His only angle is that he's an asshole that acts like he's playing Full Metal Jacket with his players.  It's early, but he seems to be confirming my belief.  

This team needs Jonah and probably 2 more legit OL before they'll be anything but awful.  
Reply/Quote
Why are all so many offensive linemen considered maulers, powerhouses, steamrollers, and physical players in college but when they come to Cincinnati they regress into terrible players?
Reply/Quote
I don’t see it. It’s not a matter of will, or even a favorable matchup with this line. They are just horrible. I’m not sure Mixon will rush for over 100 in a game all season. Other than the line, what I’m about to say is dangerous talk around here but I don’t think Mixon is as good as some make him out to be. I’m sure someone will point out the fact he lead the AFC last year yada yada, im not saying the guy sucks. I just don’t get the hype around this guy. He’s not great, great RB make something happen out of nothing. When was the last run Mixon had over 20 yards? Even with a garbage line he should be able to bust a couple here and there but he dosent. I honestly think Gio is the better back right now. Again not saying Mixon sucks, just saying Gio is the better back on this team right now.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2019, 11:30 PM)TKUHL Wrote: I don’t see it. It’s not a matter of will, or even a favorable matchup with this line. They are just horrible. I’m not sure Mixon will rush for over 100 in a game all season. Other than the line, what I’m about to say is dangerous talk around here but I don’t think Mixon is as good as some make him out to be. I’m sure someone will point out the fact he lead the AFC last year yada yada, im not saying the guy sucks. I just don’t get the hype around this guy. He’s not great, great RB make something happen out of nothing. When was the last run Mixon had over 20 yards? Even with a garbage line he should be able to bust a couple here and there but he dosent. I honestly think Gio is the better back right now. Again not saying Mixon sucks, just saying Gio is the better back on this team right now.

I'm not arguing with you, but when was the last time Gio broke off a 20 yard run?

I'm sure Mixon did it last year. Same probably goes for Gio. Right now, neither of them look exceedingly special. There's a phrase that describes what they are. They get what's blocked...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2019, 11:27 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Why are all so many offensive linemen considered maulers, powerhouses, steamrollers, and physical players in college but when they come to Cincinnati they regress into terrible players?

Which one of our linemen were considered any of those things? Andre Smith?

You and I both know the answer to your question though. They were men amongst boys in college.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2019, 11:23 PM)samhain Wrote: I'm also of the mind that Jim Turner is a shit OL coach.  His track record is nothing to get excited about.  His only angle is that he's an asshole that acts like he's playing Full Metal Jacket with his players.  It's early, but he seems to be confirming my belief.  

This team needs Jonah and probably 2 more legit OL before they'll be anything but awful.  

Fun fact, ZT got hired as UC offensive coordinator because Tuberville and Jim Turner were friends and Turner recommended him.

It's hard to hold coaches accountable when you're all friends.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2019, 11:30 PM)TKUHL Wrote: I don’t see it. It’s not a matter of will, or even a favorable matchup with this line. They are just horrible. I’m not sure Mixon will rush for over 100 in a game all season. Other than the line, what I’m about to say is dangerous talk around here but I don’t think Mixon is as good as some make him out to be. I’m sure someone will point out the fact he lead the AFC last year yada yada, im not saying the guy sucks. I just don’t get the hype around this guy. He’s not great, great RB make something happen out of nothing. When was the last run Mixon had over 20 yards? Even with a garbage line he should be able to bust a couple here and there but he dosent. I honestly think Gio is the better back right now. Again not saying Mixon sucks, just saying Gio is the better back on this team right now.

(09-21-2019, 11:40 PM)jason Wrote: I'm not arguing with you, but when was the last time Gio broke off a 20 yard run?

I'm sure Mixon did it last year. Same probably goes for Gio. Right now, neither of them look exceedingly special. There's a phrase that describes what they are. They get what's blocked...

It's not hard to figure out. Mixon had 11 rushes of 20+ yards last year. Tied for 2nd in the entire NFL. 

This is that BS that happens around here. They suck running right now, so let's crank up the hyperbole and start thinking Mixon hasn't had a 20+ yard run in a long time. Then someone checks and....oh, looks like he had a lot of them last year.  Mellow

Reply/Quote