Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixon > Hill Article
Dude nailed it

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2730725-bengals-need-to-give-joe-mixon-the-keys-to-their-backfield-and-enjoy-the-ride.amp.html
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2017, 07:21 AM)Whacked Wrote: Dude nailed it

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2730725-bengals-need-to-give-joe-mixon-the-keys-to-their-backfield-and-enjoy-the-ride.amp.html

Pretty much! Looking forward to him leading the RB corps. If he doesn't start out that way, he will change it by week 4-5. But then again, Marvin. Ugh!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Someone asked Ross Tucker this morning when he thought Mixon would take over the starting role. His answer was, it doesn't matter. He said there are positions where who starts is important....QB, OL, etc., and positions where it makes no difference who the starter is. He puts RB in the #1 position of the second group.
Reply/Quote
The best part is the pre-season is just a taste of what the offense is capable of. Due to the fact that playbooks are intentionally limited and starters/quality back ups are removed from the game very early, you're basically seeing about 5 to 10 plays from any given player per game.

At RB, especially, the value is in repetition. There will be runs that inevitably don't go anywhere, just due to blocking and defensive schemes not creating any holes for the RB to get through. So only seeing 20 carries from Mixon is the equivalent of less than a game's worth of action once he's starting. Later in the game, I can see him breaking a lot more runs for big gains, once the defense is worn down.

I'm not sure where that tweet in this article got its data about snaps though. Bengals.com has Mixon with 20 attempts to Hill's 18. Plus, Mixon had 3 receptions as well.
http://www.bengals.com/team/stats.html

And that's corroborated on these sites as well:
http://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/stats
http://www.nfl.com/teams/statistics?team=cin

I don't think either of them got any snaps in the pre-season finale (granted, I didn't watch it because who cares about the 4th pre-season game?) so I don't know where the tweet got 23 vs 17 snaps through 3 games.

Regardless, it's obvious that Mixon is a better weapon than Hill is outside of the Red Zone. If Lewis watches the tape of his preseason, he'll see what is right in front of his face. At the very least, I expect some screens and short out passes to go to Mixon early on, as he has proven to be very good at those types of plays throughout his career.

I expect Mixon to be the premiere back in week 1. He may not be the "starter" but he will hopefully get the majority of the non red zone carries as well as several plays designed for him to shine.

Or, you know, Lewis can do what he always does and sits his rookies for far too long and we'll all be pissed. But then, if we don't make the playoffs this year and win at least 1 game, I think Lewis is out of town in January anyway, so maybe next year we get a coach who does value talent that is right in front of his face :).
Reply/Quote
This is one of my bigger worries going into this year. Im worried that we'll face a scenario where Mixon will clearly be outperforming Hill with the chances he will get, and will still be relegated to a limited number of snaps just because Hill is the "vested veteran". They'll throw out some excuse like Mixon needs to work on his blocking, if he does fine, but if he's making plays with the ball in his hand, then you find a way to get the ball in his hands.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Hill will be just fine this year.

I know I'm talking like Denny used to, but I literally don't see him NOT having a solid, good year, with over 1000 yards, 4.3 YPC and 10 rushing TDs...

Unless he gets hurt.

Next year, Mixon takes over and becomes a top 3 RB in the league. Bank on it.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I remember in the old Jungle Noise after Hill was drafted and people freaked out because Hill wasn't named the starter after his first year. Gio should've been benched or Gio should've been traded because Hill was clearly superior and look how that turned out.

We have 3 capable RBs who bring different skill sets to the table. It's a good problem to have, We shouldn't want to overload Mixon if he's going to be our RB for the next half decade or so.

Starter is just going to be a label on this squad.
Reply/Quote
They are going to ride Hill as hard as they can this year being his last. Hill actually looked pretty good most of the pre season I thought. Looked decisive and ran with power.
Reply/Quote
Didn't we cut Hill?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Marvin will do the typical Marvin thing and start Hill who will get as many carries or more than Mixon.

Marvin thinks in the same patterns and has done so for 15 years.

To say he cannot think outside of the box is beyond an understatement.

If we lose to ravens it is gong to be a very long season. They are not a good team.
Reply/Quote
I want to add- I hope I am wrong.

If Mixon gets 20  touches we will win the game. 

Keep handing him the rock and it will open things up for AJ and Eifert if Eifert plays.

Mixon is the most talented offensive player we have signed since AJ. Absolutely nuts not to make him the featured back.
Reply/Quote
Mixon is better, and our future.

Agree with Truck though that Hill has looked fine in preseason. Be it from contract season or from Mixon lighting a fire under his backside, who knows ?

Probably a combination of both and it is a win for the team either way. Believe he has a good year yet sent packing at seasons end.

Mixon will still be a very important part of the offense and may still get slightly more carries than Jeremy this season. Especially at the seasons end.

Mixon does seem to have star written all over him and the future looks bright at the RB position.

But think they will try a 3 headed monster this season to keep all fresh.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2017, 11:03 AM)whodey365 Wrote: They are going to ride Hill as hard as they can this year being his last. Hill actually looked pretty good most of the pre season I thought. Looked decisive and ran with power.

He definitely looked more decisive and moved better. Probably to to his best health in a couple years. 

Problem is, even at his best, Jeremy's talents fall noticeably short of Mixon's.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2017, 10:47 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Hill will be just fine this year.

I know I'm talking like Denny used to, but I literally don't see him NOT having a solid, good year, with over 1000 yards, 4.3 YPC and 10 rushing TDs...

Unless he gets hurt.

Next year, Mixon takes over and becomes a top 3 RB in the league. Bank on it.

Even in the last handful of posts on here today :

I have heard that WJIII is going to be an All Pro CB

Mixon will be a top 3 RB in the league

Ross is, by far,  the best WR in this rookie class and will dominate soon

maybe 5% of our fans prognostications about our talent ends up  accurate 

In the eyes of some posters on here, we have:

The top Rookie WR
A Top 3 NFL WR
The best TE in football
A top 3 RB
An all Pro CB
Best DT in football
A top 10 QB
The best trio of RBs in the NFL
The best Linebacker in the NFL
and an all Pro DE

Makes sense. 
Reply/Quote
Mixon should be quite the good RB, but you could literally dig up the threads going into 2015 and replace Hill's name with Mixon and the board would look eerily similar.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2017, 07:21 AM)Whacked Wrote: Dude nailed it

Keys will be taken away if he plays like he did in 3rd preseason game.. Sad
Reply/Quote
Hill was going to be THE BEAST after his first season then he wasn't. I can see a similar scenario for Mix.. Anyone of our backs can have a great season or all 3 can be duds. Preseason isn't the greatest indicator of how anyone's season is going to turn out unless they're injured and go on season ending IR.. 
I could almost predict some fans being pissed off if Hill has a 2000 yard season and Mixon sits most of the season.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(09-05-2017, 07:35 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Mixon should be quite the good RB, but you could literally dig up the threads going into 2015 and replace Hill's name with Mixon and the board would look eerily similar.

Yeah, but when you watch the film of the 2 running backs, there's not a comparison. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2017, 09:28 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yeah, but when you watch the film of the 2 running backs, there's not a comparison. 

You're right, Jeremy Hill had a 5.1 AVG and over 1,000 yards over 200+ carries in the actual NFL when we were convinced he was our ticket to success.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2017, 10:14 PM)Nately120 Wrote: You're right, Jeremy Hill had a 5.1 AVG and over 1,000 yards over 200+ carries in the actual NFL when we were convinced he was our ticket to success.

And even then, he didn't look anything like Mixon does now.

Reply/Quote