Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Mixon Influenced The Collins Signing!
Mixon had a career last year behind a horrible offensive line, meaning that he knew he could have a HUGE year this season if we just improved the line, so he pushed hard for Collins!

Quote:Joe Mixon wanted former Cowboys tackle La’el Collins in the Queen City.

He got him.

Who else did Mixon want in Cincinnati?

Well, Mixon was a huge advocate for offensive line coach Frank Pollack, who was with the team prior to his current stint. While it may not seem like it, the year-over-year improvements of the group, given their personnel, was tremendous.

Mixon has crushed his lobbying campaigns.

The running back got his wish with the addition of Collins, and per Geoff Hobson of Bengals.com, the star spoke with the Bengals management about bringing in the star lineman.

“Mixon is now 2-0 as an upstairs lobbyist. Last year he pushed hard for the re-hiring of Pollack and Schaffer said he patched in his client for a couple of seconds on his conference call with Bengals management this weekend so he could say his piece in support of the big man.”
Collins will be the starting right tackle for the next 3 years, and that, along with the additions of Bucs’ Alex Cappa and Patriots’ Ted Karras, could mean a breakout year for Mixon.

Mixon may even top what he did in 2021, which was go over 1,200 rushing for the first time in his career. He also earned his first Pro Bowl appearance. It was a breakout year on a new contract, and he should be able to improve on it even further.

To make things even more encouraging, in the process of getting Collins, the Bengals have so many rookie contracts, they didn’t run into any cap issues.

Despite not filling their last hole, a quality second-string cornerback alongside Chide Awuzie, the Bengals are looking like a team capable of ruling not just the AFC North but the conference as a whole.

Mixon was THIRD in rushing last season behind a horrible offensive line, but granted that he was 30th in YPA.

He was also 4th in TDs, which you have to think that number will SHOOT-UP with more chances as our line opens holes and lets Burrow move the ball downfield easier.

Burrow also having time will prevent the defense from stacking the box since they knew they didn't have to worry about getting into too good of position since Burrow wouldn't have time to direct the defense.

One of my problems with Palmer was I felt like he never wanted to let Rudi do his thing (even if Rudi did have good years with Palmer), but I feel like Burrow knows that everybody can eat and have big years because he knows Mixon can break any run for a big gain! He also knows the run game helps the pass game and vice-versa.

I LOVE that the front office is taking players' opinions into consideration! (Assuming that they did.)

It's going to be a hell of a year!

WHO-DEY!
Reply/Quote
Wait until they start talking about fantasy football drafts. Mixon will be a hot item this year.

He has a much better O-line and has quieted all the talk about him being injury prone.
Reply/Quote
Also see this

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Joe-Mixon-usage
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 06:53 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Mixon had a career last year behind a horrible offensive line, meaning that he knew he could have a HUGE year this season if we just improved the line, so he pushed hard for Collins!

Mixon was THIRD in rushing last season behind a horrible offensive line, but granted that he was 30th in YPA.

He was also 4th in TDs, which you have to think that number will SHOOT-UP with more chances as our line opens holes and lets Burrow move the ball downfield easier.

Burrow also having time will prevent the defense from stacking the box since they knew they didn't have to worry about getting into too good of position since Burrow wouldn't have time to direct the defense.

One of my problems with Palmer was I felt like he never wanted to let Rudi do his thing (even if Rudi did have good years with Palmer), but I feel like Burrow knows that everybody can eat and have big years because he knows Mixon can break any run for a big gain! He also knows the run game helps the pass game and vice-versa.

I LOVE that the front office is taking players' opinions into consideration! (Assuming that they did.)

WHO-DEY!

I was'nt a big Rudi fan. Never seemed like he broke a long one. If he had a 30 yard run going through a 10 yard hole I was happy. Corey Dillon he was not.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 06:53 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Mixon had a career last year behind a horrible offensive line, meaning that he knew he could have a HUGE year this season if we just improved the line, so he pushed hard for Collins!

WHO-DEY!

Dude knows his stuff, while Pollack may not have coached the OL up as much as I hoped last year he is still a great OL coach.

La'el is a crazy talent and still young. His physicality, athleticism and punch make him an elite type of Offensive Lineman.

La'el has went against the best too and snatch trapped them suckas. Ninja

Well done by Joe the blender Mixon lobbying for these guys. Cool
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 07:59 PM)PCB Bengal Fan Wrote: I was'nt a big Rudi fan. Never seemed like he broke a long one. If he had a 30 yard run going through a 10 yard hole I was happy. Corey Dillon he was not.
See, I was a big fan of Rudi and liked him a lot more than Dillon.

While Rudi may not have been a big play back, he did get the job done and moved the chains, and I think it could have been a nice balance between Carson's big play ability and hammering it home.

We cut him and thought that Chris Perry could carry the load and finally live up to his draft spot but he wasn't a workhorse like Rudi was and failed.
(03-24-2022, 08:14 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Dude knows his stuff, while Pollack may not have coached the OL up as much as I hoped last year he is still a great OL coach.

La'el is a crazy talent and still young. His physicality, athleticism and punch make him an elite type of Offensive Lineman.

La'el has went against the best too and snatch trapped them suckas. Ninja

Well done by Joe the blender Mixon lobbying for these guys. Cool

Yeah......... I'm already excited about what Collins brings! 

We were so worried about our offensive line, as we should have been with the way Burrow got sacked all season and in the playoffs, but now they have me excited because I feel like they're going to have an attitude of their own and actually be a strength to this team!

I'll actually give Pollack a pass because, while it would have been amazing to see him be able to coach the line to at least slow people down (see the final play of the Super Bowl when Burrow needed a half second longer to throw to Chase and win us the game), he was really working with scrubs. I don't think the best one coach in history could have made that line even decent.
Reply/Quote
I would like to think that the actual recruiting and scouting staff could handle recruitment without the players having to do the staffs jobs for them, but apparently that's become the new normal not only with the Bengals, but with any team loaded with talent..  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2022, 02:51 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Yeah......... I'm already excited about what Collins brings! 

We were so worried about our offensive line, as we should have been with the way Burrow got sacked all season and in the playoffs, but now they have me excited because I feel like they're going to have an attitude of their own and actually be a strength to this team!

I'll actually give Pollack a pass because, while it would have been amazing to see him be able to coach the line to at least slow people down (see the final play of the Super Bowl when Burrow needed a half second longer to throw to Chase and win us the game), he was really working with scrubs. I don't think the best one coach in history could have made that line even decent.

Adeniji is definitely a scrub and I don't know why he was starting at all...

Whoever made that decision should be accountable. Maybe Carman was injured and we didn't know about it?

Heck, I heard Adeniji was injured in his chest so if Carman wasn't injured and Adeniji was it was even more of a head scratcher
in the biggest games of all time to start an injured Adeniji over a clearly better Jackson Carman. Same with Spain who was 
injured and Carman played better at LG than RG...

Oh well, that is in the past, all be it the immediate past. We have Collins, Cappa and Karras now and well done to all that 
helped get this done including Mixon.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2022, 01:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Adeniji is definitely a scrub and I don't know why he was starting at all...

Whoever made that decision should be accountable. Maybe Carman was injured and we didn't know about it?

Heck, I heard Adeniji was injured in his chest so if Carman wasn't injured and Adeniji was it was even more of a head scratcher
in the biggest games of all time to start an injured Adeniji over a clearly better Jackson Carman. Same with Spain who was 

Oh well, that is in the past, all be it the immediate past. We have Collins, Cappa and Karras now and well done to all that 

That's the only possibility I could think of (other than sleeping with Pollack's wife) that could justify Carman not starting. 

I was screaming at my TV.

Like you said, it's in the past and our line should be a strength now, so let's just hope that we can stay healthy!

Our depth does worry me a bit, but we're actually strong enough now that I think that Pollack could coach around an injury or two, but just pray that we don't have to worry about it!
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2022, 04:28 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: That's the only possibility I could think of (other than sleeping with Pollack's wife) that could justify Carman not starting. 

I was screaming at my TV.

Like you said, it's in the past and our line should be a strength now, so let's just hope that we can stay healthy!

Our depth does worry me a bit, but we're actually strong enough now that I think that Pollack could coach around an injury or two, but just pray that we don't have to worry about it!

We can still add a couple guys to make the depth stronger. Maybe bring back Spain and draft a versatile OL somewhat early.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2022, 01:48 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: We can still add a couple guys to make the depth stronger. Maybe bring back Spain and draft a versatile OL somewhat early.

Yeah, or even if we can get a guy with a lot of potential that falls just because he needs time to develop.

I actually trust our coaching staff to develop guys now because I also feel like our own players will help them develop and the new winning mentality of the team will have guys wanting to improve in practice/offseason and competing to get on the field.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2022, 01:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Adeniji is definitely a scrub and I don't know why he was starting at all...

Carman WAS injured (back). Spain was playing hurt and so was Adeniji - we had three injured Guards including both starters and the lead backup. Add in Reiff going out and you can see why the OL performance tailed off sharply late in the season. That said Adeniji IS atrocious. He gave up AT LEAST 6 sacks in just the postseason. 
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2022, 02:57 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Yeah, or even if we can get a guy with a lot of potential that falls just because he needs time to develop.

I actually trust our coaching staff to develop guys now because I also feel like our own players will help them develop and the new winning mentality of the team will have guys wanting to improve in practice/offseason and competing to get on the field.

Joe Burrow pushes everyone to be like him, to seek greatness. Feel the same way with this guy as our leader.

Pollack is a good OL coach, I want to see the OL better reflect this.

(03-26-2022, 03:06 PM)Joelist Wrote: Carman WAS injured (back). Spain was playing hurt and so was Adeniji - we had three injured Guards including both starters and the lead backup. Add in Reiff going out and you can see why the OL performance tailed off sharply late in the season. That said Adeniji IS atrocious. He gave up AT LEAST 6 sacks in just the postseason. 

Well then it all makes sense. Thanks Joelist. I sure hope the back isn't always a problem for Carman, this would suck as I 
think he could be a wonderful O-Lineman if he can stay healthy and keep learning to be better with his hand placement.

Preaching to choir on Adeniji. But him being injured gives him some excuse same with Spain and Carman.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2022, 07:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Joe Burrow pushes everyone to be like him, to seek greatness. Feel the same way with this guy as our leader.

Pollack is a good OL coach, I want to see the OL better reflect this.

Well then it all makes sense. Thanks Joelist. I sure hope the back isn't always a problem for Carman, this would suck as I 
think he could be a wonderful O-Lineman if he can stay healthy and keep learning to be better with his hand placement.

Preaching to choir on Adeniji. But him being injured gives him some excuse same with Spain and Carman.

Carman I still have hope for. Adeniji ? not so much
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2022, 07:29 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Carman I still have hope for. Adeniji ? not so much

Kind of hard to have hope for a dude that plays on roller skates on the OL, true.
Reply/Quote
I get the excitement for Mixon with a decent O-Line. That being said, using his total yards ranking in the NFL doesn't take into account he was 30th in the NFL for average yards per carry. A simple analogy would be a RB that averages 2 yards per carry with 30 carries a game would end up being a 1,000 rusher. Would that make him elite? I hope Joe can break some ankle tackles and get some long runs. Only time will tell.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2022, 08:12 PM)Chezaugie Wrote: I hope Joe can break some ankle tackles and get some long runs. Only time will tell.

I’ve seen him do that plenty of times
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2022, 08:31 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I’ve seen him do that plenty of times

Like more than plenty. Mixon is hard to tackle, one of the hardest RB's to tackle in the NFL.

I believe he was leading the league at times in broken tackles. Problem is he is always hit at or behind the LOS.

This will change with a much better run blocking OL.
Reply/Quote