Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixon Looked INCREDIBLE
First off, I know it was only one game and one game doesn't make a career, especially in a franchise where we've worshipped players as the next HOF player and they turned out to be dog shit, but I can't help but to be excited about Joe Mixon.

I've said all-along that we just need to give him the bulk of the carries and let him get into a rhythm, and that's exactly what looked like happened today.

Mixon was running hard but picking his spots, making moves to make guys miss, using power when needed, one-cutting to find open holes while still running downhill, catching the ball out of the backfield, and doing multiple other impressive things.

Our offense is going to be dangerous with teams having to leave a safety back for AJ while still having to load the box because of Mixon being such a versatile runner, and then not to mention Kroft looks like he's finally starting to be used properly and more (I realize he only caught three balls today, but hopefully Lazor sees how effective he was). Not to mention other guys, like LaFell and Boyd, can produce when called upon if we spread it around.

This was about Mixon, so is he as good as he looked and as good as I think?
Reply/Quote
Think he could be great with good OL.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2017, 06:42 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: First off, I know it was only one game and one game doesn't make a career, especially in a franchise where we've worshipped players as the next HOF player and they turned out to be dog shit, but I can't help but to be excited about Joe Mixon.

I've said all-along that we just need to give him the bulk of the carries and let him get into a rhythm, and that's exactly what looked like happened today.

Mixon was running hard but picking his spots, making moves to make guys miss, using power when needed, one-cutting to find open holes while still running downhill, catching the ball out of the backfield, and doing multiple other impressive things.

Our offense is going to be dangerous with teams having to leave a safety back for AJ while still having to load the box because of Mixon being such a versatile runner, and then not to mention Kroft looks like he's finally starting to be used properly and more (I realize he only caught three balls today, but hopefully Lazor sees how effective he was).  Not to mention other guys, like LaFell and Boyd, can produce when called upon if we spread it around.

This was about Mixon, so is he as good as he looked and as good as I think?

Mixon did look great today...but the team we beat is now 0-11. Mixon averaged 2.8 ypc before this game. They had been giving him the bulk of the carries too.

Our offensive line is just epically bad...and we can't expect this type of running to continue. Without personnel or coaching changes...we can't expect the blocking to improve.

The Jaguars had the worst run defense in the league and shut us down.

But, we should enjoy games like today.
Reply/Quote
Could the Online actually be getting better? The Browns DLine is not shabby, but their LBs are less than great. Don't want to get too excited, but maybe there's hope?
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2017, 06:51 PM)Shady Wrote: Could the Online actually be getting better? The Browns DLine is not shabby, but their LBs are less than great. Don't want to get too excited, but maybe there's hope?

If the defense plays better then I think we have a chance..... not a great chance since we are so far behind, but a chance.

The Steelers game is a must win if we want to make the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
This is what happens when a RB actually has holes to run through and can pick up steam. He's able to get his legs moving, gain momentum, and fall forward or run people over. That gives him an extra 2-3 yards on his runs instead of getting hit right at the line and going down.
Unless you are a Peterson, Lynch, Sanders, or Dillon type back, you're going to struggle without an Oline. Hunt, Elliot, and these other guys are no better then Mixon; they just have good lines.  
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2017, 07:05 PM)Sweetness Wrote: This is what happens when a RB actually has holes to run through and can pick up steam. He's able to get his legs moving, gain momentum, and fall forward or run people over. That gives him an extra 2-3 yards on his runs instead of getting hit right at the line and going down.
Unless you are a Peterson, Lynch, Sanders, or Dillon type back, you're going to struggle without an Oline. Hunt, Elliot, and these other guys are no better then Mixon; they just have good lines.  

Exactly...I'd say this is a very average game for Mixon if he has holes he can hit.  The guy is an incredible talent and will continue to improve, just needs carries and holes to run through.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2017, 06:48 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Mixon did look great today...but the team we beat is now 0-11. Mixon averaged 2.8 ypc before this game. They had been giving him the bulk of the carries too.

Our offensive line is just epically bad...and we can't expect this type of running to continue. Without personnel or coaching changes...we can't expect the blocking to improve.

The Jaguars had the worst run defense in the league and shut us down.

But, we should enjoy games like today.
(11-26-2017, 06:51 PM)Shady Wrote: Could the Online actually be getting better? The Browns DLine is not shabby, but their LBs are less than great. Don't want to get too excited, but maybe there's hope?

To your and the above poster, I think the Browns were third in yards given up coming into today, so they're actually pretty good.
(11-26-2017, 07:05 PM)Sweetness Wrote: This is what happens when a RB actually has holes to run through and can pick up steam. He's able to get his legs moving, gain momentum, and fall forward or run people over. That gives him an extra 2-3 yards on his runs instead of getting hit right at the line and going down.
I agree that he wasn't a Barry Sanders type but the point is that he made things happen after he just made it through the holes that the o-line opened (and sometimes even when they didn't) and he made things out of nothing.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2017, 06:58 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: If the defense plays better then I think we have a chance..... not a great chance since we are so far behind, but a chance.

The Steelers game is a must win if we want to make the playoffs.

Before the season started I vowed to watch ONLY Bengals and Eagles games and NOT ONE Steelers or Pats game.

Even if the boycott was NOT in place, I vowed NOT to watch the Steelers and I would hold to that.

Sadly, I think it will be another beat down and refs will do whatever they can to help the NFL get their Pats/Steelers AFC title game.
Reply/Quote
*It was against Cleveland.
Reply/Quote
Remember Mixon had a quote about LeVeon Bell. Next week will be interesting.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Easy buddy, this WAS against the Browns. Heck, even Jeremy Hill even managed to always have a great game versus the Browns...

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Mixon came to play today there's no doubt. Let's see if he shows up next week before we get all amped up !

I hope this was a sign of things to come but ya gotta temper things a bit due to ......Browns
Reply/Quote
Going into the game, Cleveland had the #6 rush defense in the NFL by yards (97.1 per game), and the #1 defense in terms of average yards per carry (3.1).  So, yeah, the Browns run D was no slouch.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2017, 07:17 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: *It was against Cleveland.

(11-26-2017, 07:18 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Easy buddy, this WAS against the Browns.

Right. One of the best run defenses in the league.

I'm glad you guys are pointing out that's it's even more impressive than it appears at first glance.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2017, 07:33 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Right. One of the best run defenses in the league.

I'm glad you guys are pointing out that's it's even more impressive than it appears at first glance.

Right, but this is one of those "throw the stats out the window" sort of matchups.  Who are you trying to kid?  We always seem to run well versus Cleveland..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2017, 07:40 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Right, but this is one of those "throw the stats out the window" sort of matchups.  Who are you trying to kid?  We always seem to run well versus Cleveland..
Yeah.

They ran against the Browns.  Amazeballz.

They're on a "prove it" status until they play a contender.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2017, 07:40 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Right, but this is one of those "throw the stats out the window" sort of matchups.  Who are you trying to kid?  We always seem to run well versus Cleveland..

I was going to say, bully for Mixon, but Jeremy Hill ran for 285 yards in two games vs the Browns last year and we can't wait to get rid of him.
Reply/Quote

In the first game against Cleveland this season the Bengals only rushed 86 yards total and 29 of those yards were from Andy. So 57 yards rushing from actual RBs. I'd say the o-line did decent job this game against a decent run defense with Mixon doing what he should have given the run blocking and leave it at that. Let's hope the run blocking continues to improve.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2017, 07:54 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I was going to say, bully for Mixon, but Jeremy Hill ran for 285 yards in two games vs the Browns last year and we can't wait to get rid of him.

Exactly.  For the record, I'm a fan of JC as a poster, but this game is no indication of progression by Mixon, or the OL.  It's the freakin' Bronws, we always seem to run the ball well versus the Browns.  Now, if this were after the Steelers matchup...

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote