Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixon Looked INCREDIBLE
(11-27-2017, 12:40 PM)Sled21 Wrote: You guys saying "It was the Browns" over and over, like that somehow invalidates the run game we had, just sound silly. Yeah, the Browns suck overall, but their run defense is one of the stoutest in the league, and Mixon ran it right down their throats.... 

The running game looked great against the 0-11 Browns.. Is that better?
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2017, 01:26 PM)bengals73 Wrote: The running game looked great against the 0-11 Browns.. Is that better?

Sure, if you want to focus on their win/lose record and not on their run defense. Whatever floats your boat.... me, I think it is a better correlation to say "our run game looked great against the # three run defense in the league." Which do you find more relative???
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2017, 12:40 PM)Sled21 Wrote: You guys saying "It was the Browns" over and over, like that somehow invalidates the run game we had, just sound silly. Yeah, the Browns suck overall, but their run defense is one of the stoutest in the league, and Mixon ran it right down their throats.... 

I don't know that anyone is necessarily trying to invalidate it or take anything away from Mixon, because he did run very well yesterday an it was great to see. I think it's more like they're just not getting overly optimistic until that performance is duplicated against a team that's not 0-11.

The Bengals have faced decent run defense all year. Eight of the their 10 opponents so far are ranked in the top half of the league in rushing yards allowed (four are ranked ahead of Cleveland) and seven in the top half for lowest ypc allowed (5 in the top 10)..and have struggled until yesterday.

I think everyone is hoping they can build on yesterday's performance, and that the o-line will continue to show signs of improvement...especially against the Steelers this next game. It would be awesome to see Mixon shred them.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2017, 01:41 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I don't know that anyone is necessarily trying to invalidate it or take anything away from Mixon, because he did run very well yesterday an it was great to see. I think it's more like they're just not getting overly optimistic until that performance is duplicated against a team that's not 0-11.

But again, to me, it is more telling how you run against the 3rd best rush defense, that is 0-11 as a team, than it is how you run it against a team that is say 8-3 or 9-2, but has the worst run defense in the league.... thre are different phases of the game. The Browns record sucks, but they are very good against the run.
Reply/Quote
Yeah, this is the play i was expecting to see out of Mixon this year. Sure helps when the O-line uses directional
blocking and plays aggressive. Hewitt made some nice blocks out there as well. Mixon is extremely talented and
he played very physical yesterday. Trucked a couple Browns players, Peppers most noticeably.

Very versatile player Mixon is, loved the 37 yard screen pass where he trucked another Brown.

Fun stuff, hope to see some of this blocking next week against the Steelers.

But no matter what Marv and PA need to be gone after this season, don't need any excuses for bringing these
losers back.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2017, 01:41 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I don't know that anyone is necessarily trying to invalidate it or take anything away from Mixon, because he did run very well yesterday an it was great to see. I think it's more like they're just not getting overly optimistic until that performance is duplicated against a team that's not 0-11.

The Bengals have faced decent run defense all year. Eight of the their 10 opponents so far are ranked in the top half of the league in rushing yards allowed (four are ranked ahead of Cleveland) and seven in the top half for lowest ypc allowed (5 in the top 10)..and have struggled until yesterday.

I think everyone is hoping they can build on yesterday's performance, and that the o-line will continue to show signs of improvement...especially against the Steelers this next game. It would be awesome to see Mixon shred them.

Yeah. Obviously a team that is 0-11 probably isn't coming up with the best gameplans too.
Reply/Quote
Amen.
(11-27-2017, 01:37 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Sure, if you want to focus on their win/lose record and not on their run defense. Whatever floats your boat.... me, I think it is a better correlation to say "our run game looked great against the # three run defense in the league." Which do you find more relative???
I love people that think logically  ThumbsUp

Like we keep saying, 0-10 before yesterday, but the run defense was solid all year.

As far as the Bengals not having success against other teams, it's because Mixon wasn't getting the bulk of the carries and wasn't able to get into a rhythm.  
(11-27-2017, 02:19 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, this is the play i was expecting to see out of Mixon this year. Sure helps when the O-line uses directional
blocking and plays aggressive. Hewitt made some nice blocks out there as well. Mixon is extremely talented and
he played very physical yesterday. Trucked a couple Browns players, Peppers most noticeably.

Very versatile player Mixon is, loved the 37 yard screen pass where he trucked another Brown.

Fun stuff, hope to see some of this blocking next week against the Steelers.

But no matter what Marv and PA need to be gone after this season, don't need any excuses for bringing these
losers back.
Agree on all accounts.  

I'm hoping a late season surge/win streak/even playoff push doesn't make Mike Brown think "oh, we're ok, no need to go after new coaches or free agents or draft linemen."

Mixon finally busted out because we gave him the chance to with enough touches in the run game and the pass game and I think his success fired up the line to play harder and better.  Let's hope that his tenacity and success trickles down to every player on the team and they just start playing for each other.
(11-27-2017, 02:45 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah. Obviously a team that is 0-11 probably isn't coming up with the best gameplans too.

Again, though, their shitty game plans worked in stopping every other team's gameplan that they've faced, so what makes it invalid when we have success against it?
Reply/Quote
Yeah he looked good against the browns who literally have not won a game in a fiscal year. I'm happy for him and his talent but let's not kid ourselves. Do it against Pittsburgh and then you got something. I feel bad for goo and a little for hill. Why we didn't trade hill for something is beyond me. Dude is rotting over on the sidelines
Reply/Quote
He's rotting on the sidelines because he has or is going to have surgery.
Reply/Quote
Mixon finally looked like the guy whose talent people were raving about.

I was glad to see it, but I have to keep reminding myself it's the Browns.

2016 Jeremy Hill...
2 games vs Browns: 34 carries/279 yards (8.20 YPC)
13 other games: 188 carries/560 yards (2.98 YPC)

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2017, 04:39 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Amen.
Like we keep saying, 0-10 before yesterday, but the run defense was solid all year.

As far as the Bengals not having success against other teams, it's because Mixon wasn't getting the bulk of the carries and wasn't able to get into a rhythm.  
Agree on all accounts.  

I'm hoping a late season surge/win streak/even playoff push doesn't make Mike Brown think "oh, we're ok, no need to go after new coaches or free agents or draft linemen."

Mixon finally busted out because we gave him the chance to with enough touches in the run game and the pass game and I think his success fired up the line to play harder and better.  Let's hope that his tenacity and success trickles down to every player on the team and they just start playing for each other.

Again, though, their shitty game plans worked in stopping every other team's gameplan that they've faced, so what makes it invalid when we have success against it?

In the past two weeks, Mixon has gotten at least 20 carries against two very good run defenses, who are 1 and 2 in ypc allowed. The results were 49 yards in one and 114 yards in the other. We'll find out over these next 5 games which game was a more accurate indicator. Hopefully, it was the latter because it would really help to open up the offense down the stretch.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2017, 04:39 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Amen.

Agree on all accounts.  

The players are going to have to really want it if they are going to make a run cause these coaches have
handcuffed them big time. Especially Marv and PA. MB ought to know by now that the players have to carry
the coaches for us to have success.

(11-27-2017, 05:25 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: In the past two weeks, Mixon has gotten at least 20 carries against two very good run defenses, who are 1 and 2 in ypc allowed. The results were 49 yards in one and 114 yards in the other. We'll find out over these next 5 games which game was a more accurate indicator. Hopefully, it was the latter because it would really help to open up the offense down the stretch.

The difference was the scheme change, i truly believe if we were using this directional blocking scheme all season
instead of that passive zone blocking scheme Mixon and Gio would have much better stats. If they stick with this
directional blocking scheme look for the Offense to just get better.

Just sucks these coaches always take too long to figure shit out.

Need to move on from these guys man, it is sad.
Reply/Quote
Running game looked good again last night. Joe and Gio were planting and going. Maybe it just wasn't "it's the Browns", unfortunately it may be a little too late.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2017, 12:27 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Running game looked good again last night. Joe and Gio were planting and going. Maybe it just wasn't "it's the Browns", unfortunately it may be a little too late.

It did.....and I agree with the running being better.  That said, the line was firing off the ball and knocking people around.  They have played much better over the last two weeks as well.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote