Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixon To Be More Involved In The Passing Game?!
(06-24-2022, 07:11 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: When you say "effectively", I think "less predictably".  I always hated how he NEVER played a third down (seemingly) when Gio was still here.  You could see the frustration when Mixon would come off the field.  He was in the flow of the game and beginning to roll and, here comes, off the field.

I wanted to see more Mixon on third down and more Gio on first and second downs with some inside runs.  Teams can type-cast what you are going to do with certain personnel when you never deviate from the "script".  

FWIW, I think it has gotten better, but I would still like to see RBs alternate DRIVES, not snaps or certain play selections. 

So true, all we want to see is it change up sometimes. Doing the same thing all the time is predictable to say the least.

You need to keep the Defense on its heels with different schemes and changes in personnel so the Defense is caught in bad 
situations. As you say, flip the script instead of always just sticking to it.

(06-24-2022, 11:22 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I agree.  If Mixon really is 6'1" then I believe he weighs a good bit more than 220.

I remember when Dalton was here and watching Mixon walking next to Dalton and they looked pretty much the same height
and Dalton is 6'3" according to the roster sizes listed. I think Mixon is 6'2" 228 lbs.
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2022, 01:54 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: So true, all we want to see is it change up sometimes. Doing the same thing all the time is predictable to say the least.

You need to keep the Defense on its heels with different schemes and changes in personnel so the Defense is caught in bad 
situations. As you say, flip the script instead of always just sticking to it.

I remember when Dalton was here and watching Mixon walking next to Dalton and they looked pretty much the same height
and Dalton is 6'3" according to the roster sizes listed. I think Mixon is 6'2" 228 lbs.

Great podcast on YouTube with Jay Morrison and Paul Dehner with Zac and Brian Callahan this week. So entertaining on so many levels. They were laughing about a for sure TD play against the Jets. The protection was blown up and they had 2nd and 10. I think the pundits on the predictability is centered on what works or they can block versus what’s creative
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(06-24-2022, 01:54 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I remember when Dalton was here and watching Mixon walking next to Dalton and they looked pretty much the same height

Mixon measured in at six-and-a-half feet, 226 pounds at the combine. 
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2022, 03:31 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Mixon measured in at six-and-a-half feet, 

I hope you meant "six feet and one-half inch".
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2022, 04:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I hope you meant "six feet and one-half inch".

LOL yes, I did. Thanks. 
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2022, 03:10 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Great podcast on YouTube with Jay Morrison and Paul Dehner with Zac and Brian Callahan this week. So entertaining on so many levels. They were laughing about a for sure TD play against the Jets. The protection was blown up and they had 2nd and 10. I think the pundits on the predictability is centered on what works or they can block versus what’s creative

Will have to check it out. Hindsight is always 20/20.

(06-24-2022, 03:31 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Mixon measured in at six-and-a-half feet, 226 pounds at the combine. 

10 foot tall and bulletproof lol

(06-24-2022, 04:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I hope you meant "six feet and one-half inch".

Cool, for some reason sometimes he looks taller, must be the cleats or somethin'.
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2022, 11:10 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Actually I said “efficiently “ not effectively. He’s more likely to get the ball on first or second down. They watch his snaps religiously. Evans ….again I’ve said this… as a rookie and the protection issues they couldn’t use him much. They’ve got to spell Mixon. Running the ball on third down unlikely. Perine simply as far as they were concerned was better in pass pro. He showed he’s pretty good in the passing game with that great TD vs I think KC in the first game at the end of the half. Perine also in short yardage doesn’t give up on the play as easily. I realize a lot on here don’t like Perine in short yardage but I think it’s got a lot more to do with the OL in short yardage period. When you are putting a team together there’s lots of consideration. Perine is on every special team.

I an admittedly small sample size, Evans was actually pretty solid at pass blocking, with a PFF ranking of 84.  This was actually an even higher rating than his score as a receiver (80).  I didn't mean for this to evolve in to another Perine debate, but just hoping to see a very efficient use of all the RBs with a less predictable nature of play-calls by personnel.  

Evans also plays special teams, I believe.  One of the things that Perine has going for him is durability.  Don't think I remember that guy ever being injured.  And I don't want Perine gone, I just want to see more Evans overall...and more Mixon in the passing game.  

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2022, 03:10 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Great podcast on YouTube with Jay Morrison and Paul Dehner with Zac and Brian Callahan this week. So entertaining on so many levels. They were laughing about a for sure TD play against the Jets. The protection was blown up and they had 2nd and 10. I think the pundits on the predictability is centered on what works or they can block versus what’s creative

It really was.  I wonder if more folks on here don't listed to the podcasts...might do a poll.  I live for those podcasts when I am doing lots of driving or mowing. 
Reply/Quote
Damn Fred you had 4 Nixon's and 2 Mixon's in the same post, I tried to find the joke and couldn't
Reply/Quote

Has there been a 6'6 RB? 
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2022, 11:47 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Has there been a 6'6 RB? 

I don't know about 6' 6", but Brandon Jacobs was a load at 6' 4".
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2022, 09:29 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: It really was.  I wonder if more folks on here don't listed to the podcasts...might do a poll.  I live for those podcasts when I am doing lots of driving or mowing. 

I can barely do any of them. I’m a lifelong Sooner and hardly listen to any of them. I listen to more Bengals. I do better in the car.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(06-25-2022, 09:27 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I an admittedly small sample size, Evans was actually pretty solid at pass blocking, with a PFF ranking of 84.  This was actually an even higher rating than his score as a receiver (80).  I didn't mean for this to evolve in to another Perine debate, but just hoping to see a very efficient use of all the RBs with a less predictable nature of play-calls by personnel.  

Evans also plays special teams, I believe.  One of the things that Perine has going for him is durability.  Don't think I remember that guy ever being injured.  And I don't want Perine gone, I just want to see more Evans overall...and more Mixon in the passing game.  

I sure would like to see more of Evans. But I don’t think he’s ready to replace Perine. Like I’ve maintained in the discussion about the RB room. I’d like to see Evans play a series or two each half and sub in Mixon on third down. Mixon take Perine’s carries and give up a few of his to Evans.. But I think Perine is a much better power runner than many on here think. Most times he’s got zero holes to run through. I think he’s as big of benefactor as anybody with this line.

Reply/Quote
(06-25-2022, 12:09 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I sure would like to see more of Evans. But I don’t think he’s ready to replace Perine. Like I’ve maintained in the discussion about the RB room. I’d like to see Evans play a series or two each half and sub in Mixon on third down. Mixon take Perine’s carries and give up a few of his to Evans.. But I think Perine is a much better power runner than many on here think. Most times he’s got zero holes to run through. I think he’s as big of benefactor as anybody with this line.

Good point, and being the least elusive of the three, it will compound the problem of "zero holes" as you put it. 

I'm trying to not get too hyped about the improvements in the rushing attack just yet, as I could still see early on there being some struggles, but like Tennessee seemed to do many times in the past, running the ball in the playoffs and in potentially less-than-desirable weather is a big factor to their success.
Reply/Quote
(06-22-2022, 03:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Nixon is dead but spellcheck lives.

You secretly poisoned proof-read in its sleep though, didn't you? Admit it!  Smirk
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-25-2022, 11:47 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Has there been a 6'6 RB? 

The tallest RB ever is Bert Coan, who was 6'5. He played in the 60's. The tallest modern day back is Brandon Jacobs at 6'4. 
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2022, 11:58 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: The tallest RB ever is Bert Coan, who was 6'5. He played in the 60's. The tallest modern day back is Brandon Jacobs at 6'4. 

There was also a 6'5" RB named Robin Early who played for the Baers in '77.

Niner's TE Jalen Hurd is 6'4" and he was a very good RB in college at Tennessee.  In his first two seasons (Fr, So) he had 2595 yards from scrimmage and 21 tds.  He was on pace to break the UT rushing record.  In his Junior year he got injured and wanted to move to receiver.  He ended up transferring to Baylor where he had  900+ receiving yards as a TE hos senior year.

They claimed he weighed 240 when he was playing RB but he looked skinny.  He is now listed at 227 as a TE.  

Honestly an elite athlete with very little body fat would look thin at 6'4" 240.  Not "thin" for a egular person, but "thin" for a football player.

This is Deonte Burton of the Oklahoma City Thunder.  He is listed at 6'4", 240.

[Image: deonte-burton-of-the-oklahoma-city-thund...1039508914]
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2022, 10:18 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Good point, and being the least elusive of the three, it will compound the problem of "zero holes" as you put it. 

I'm trying to not get too hyped about the improvements in the rushing attack just yet, as I could still see early on there being some struggles, but like Tennessee seemed to do many times in the past, running the ball in the playoffs and in potentially less-than-desirable weather is a big factor to their success.

Perine when he’s got some room he can be tough https://youtu.be/hyEfR30sx8o https://twitter.com/nfl/status/1452363794122870787?s=21&t=CVoJYE7CqcsqyeCqZjTfBg

Reply/Quote
The Athletic Mailbag …. Paul Dehner
Will the run game or pass game improve more because of the O-line improvements? I think Joe Mixon and Joe Burrow both have a chance to be top five at their positions. — Zachary Popp

This one could probably go either way, but I would lean toward the running game. First off, over the last two seasons, La’el Collins has ranked as one of the best run-blocking offensive linemen in football.

He ranked fifth in run-block grade in 2019 and last year eighth among every offensive lineman. The idea of him plowing the back side of the wide zone with Mixon’s absurd ability to cut back with power coming off his blocks provides a dangerous weapon for the running game.

Alex Cappa and Ted Karras should serve as upgrades there as well, with the entire combination fitting into offensive line coach Frank Pollack’s glass-eating vision for the ground game.

A few advanced stats to ponder when thinking about the potential spurt for Mixon with more consistent run blockers in front of him. The Bengals ranked 31st in the NFL last year in yards before contact per rush (0.86). The league average was 1.49.

The Bengals also ranked fifth in yards after contact per rush (3.14). The average was 2.83.

If Cincinnati could continue to make as many yards after first contact while avoiding so many of the hits in the backfield and other drive-killers that led to such an awful before-contact average, they could plop an extra half yard onto every run.

An offense that has Burrow at quarterback and averages 4.5 yards per carry on the ground will run it up all season long. They become nearly unstoppable.

Finally, the Bengals ranked 26th in the league in percentage of third-down runs that produced a first down (44.2 percent). The league average was 52.8 percent and the Buccaneers led the NFL at 71.4 percent.

Short yardage has been a point of emphasis and analysis this offseason by offensive coordinator Brian Callahan and the coaching staff. Finding ways for those runs to be better even just to a league-average level, which could naturally be the case with more dynamic run blockers up front, could extend 8 percent more drives during the year.

That’s significant.

Meanwhile, the passing offense will improve with better protection. Giving Burrow more time will only allow for him to dissect the intermediate and deep edges more. But he already came off a year when he led the league in yards per attempt and PFF grade. There’s only so much efficiency you can squeeze out of the position. Fewer sacks will go a long way in creating more opportunities, but there is more room for significant improvement in the running game, and the hosses coming to town are built to take advantage.

Reply/Quote
(06-26-2022, 04:40 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: The Athletic Mailbag …. Paul Dehner
Will the run game or pass game improve more because of the O-line improvements? I think Joe Mixon and Joe Burrow both have a chance to be top five at their positions. — Zachary Popp

This one could probably go either way, but I would lean toward the running game. First off, over the last two seasons, La’el Collins has ranked as one of the best run-blocking offensive linemen in football.

He ranked fifth in run-block grade in 2019 and last year eighth among every offensive lineman. The idea of him plowing the back side of the wide zone with Mixon’s absurd ability to cut back with power coming off his blocks provides a dangerous weapon for the running game.

Alex Cappa and Ted Karras should serve as upgrades there as well, with the entire combination fitting into offensive line coach Frank Pollack’s glass-eating vision for the ground game.

A few advanced stats to ponder when thinking about the potential spurt for Mixon with more consistent run blockers in front of him. The Bengals ranked 31st in the NFL last year in yards before contact per rush (0.86). The league average was 1.49.

The Bengals also ranked fifth in yards after contact per rush (3.14). The average was 2.83.

If Cincinnati could continue to make as many yards after first contact while avoiding so many of the hits in the backfield and other drive-killers that led to such an awful before-contact average, they could plop an extra half yard onto every run.

An offense that has Burrow at quarterback and averages 4.5 yards per carry on the ground will run it up all season long. They become nearly unstoppable.

Finally, the Bengals ranked 26th in the league in percentage of third-down runs that produced a first down (44.2 percent). The league average was 52.8 percent and the Buccaneers led the NFL at 71.4 percent.

Short yardage has been a point of emphasis and analysis this offseason by offensive coordinator Brian Callahan and the coaching staff. Finding ways for those runs to be better even just to a league-average level, which could naturally be the case with more dynamic run blockers up front, could extend 8 percent more drives during the year.

That’s significant.

Meanwhile, the passing offense will improve with better protection. Giving Burrow more time will only allow for him to dissect the intermediate and deep edges more. But he already came off a year when he led the league in yards per attempt and PFF grade. There’s only so much efficiency you can squeeze out of the position. Fewer sacks will go a long way in creating more opportunities, but there is more room for significant improvement in the running game, and the hosses coming to town are built to take advantage.

Dehner did a fantastic job of articulating what many of us have been thinking about the prospects of the Bengal offense, heading into the 2022 season.  Great share!

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote