Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixon and Gio
Need to be on the field at the same time.

Our three best playmakers now are these two and AJ.

They all three need to be on the field
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2017, 12:33 PM)bengals67 Wrote: Need to be on the field at the same time.

Our three best playmakers now are these two and AJ.

They all three need to be on the field

Why? Maybe if Gio is in the slot, but that is about it. If we run out a formation with both Gio and Mixon then one of them is blocking and I'd rather have a TE or basically anyone else blocking. If we pass out of the formation why not run the same play with Erickson or someone better suited to that position. I've never understood the love affair with putting both RBs in at the same time. People used to say we need Hill and Gio in the backfield at the same time after Hill's great rookie year, but that just hinders your offense and wears both running back out by lead blocking/running decoy routes. 
[Image: what%2Bday%2Bis%2Bit.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I'd love to see a wrinkle with Gio and Mixon both on the field. Set em both up in the backfield then send one out in motion, whatever.

I'm not talking about a main set in our offense, just a wrinkle to throw in 3 or 4 times a game. You could run all kinds of swings, screens, reverses and so on out of it. With AJ and Ross both on field with them two it would be hard to defend.

With our very bad O-line Lazor is gonna have to get real creative to try and scheme around the fact that we can't block !
Reply/Quote
Agree

But wonder if Ross will ever really contribute this season.

Sure hope so yet not sold on the fact.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
For everyone that destroyed me when I said the Bengals should bring in Sam Wyche for some offensive self-scouting as a consultant, this offensive design with two RBs was a staple of his offense.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2017, 09:06 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: For everyone that destroyed me when I said the Bengals should bring in Sam Wyche for some offensive self-scouting as a consultant, this offensive design with two RBs was a staple of his offense.

I wouldn't be against it, but Sam is like 107 years old and I'm not sure if he and Son of Paul ever patched things up.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2017, 10:07 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I wouldn't be against it, but Sam is like 107 years old and I'm not sure if he and Son of Paul ever patched things up.

I would think so, as there is a giant "YOU LIVE IN CINCINNATI" quote hanging at PBS now...

Regardless, Sam is doing great health-wise, and it was only as a brief consultant role, but you would have thought I was trying to hire Sam to replace Marv by the negative reaction the idea received.  

Sam's "Jet" package with Brooks and Woods on the field together was incredible.  I have wondered for years why it hasn't returned when RBs are so much more adept at being receivers now.  
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2017, 10:10 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I would think so, as there is a giant "YOU LIVE IN CINCINNATI" quote hanging at PBS now...

Regardless, Sam is doing great health-wise, and it was only as a brief consultant role, but you would have thought I was trying to hire Sam to replace Marv by the negative reaction the idea received.  

Sam's "Jet" package with Brooks and Woods on the field together was incredible.  I have wondered for years why it hasn't returned when RBs are so much more adept at being receivers now.  

One's a FB and one's a HB

We already do that (though not in the same formation) with Hewitt/Ceej/Carter.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2017, 10:15 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: One's a FB and one's a HB

We already do that (though not in the same formation) with Hewitt/Ceej/Carter.

Actually, the offense Sam ran had one as a RB, and the other as an H-back, and just to keep things from being predictable (sound good to anyone) he would have Brooks sometimes play the role of the H-back!  At 190 lbs!

I just loved how it made defenses slow down to account for both of them heading in different directions.  He could pitch it wide to Brooks, or fake that and turn around and toss a screen to Woods the other direction.  It was high % and it would almost always yield good, positive yards.  I could be wrong, but I think both of those backs had 1000 yards rushing and averaged close to 5 ypc.  
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2017, 11:14 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: It was high % and it would almost always yield good, positive yards.  I could be wrong, but I think both of those backs had 1000 yards rushing and averaged close to 5 ypc.  

They also ran that offense behind the best O-line in franchise history, and one of the best of all time.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2017, 12:34 AM)MaineBengal Wrote: They also ran that offense behind the best O-line in franchise history, and one of the best of all time.

Absolutely true, but the rest of the thread had been talking largely about simply getting the two of them on the field together so they may both be used as runners and receivers.  They have quickness to get open better than almost all of the other receivers.  
Reply/Quote