Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixon and Perine
(10-18-2022, 09:46 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Everyone always thinks the spellback "runs harder" or "is more explosive". Like no shit, dude spends most of the game riding the pine pony - it's easy to have burst when you've got fresh legs. It's the same thing with backup edge rushers - easier to look good when your opponent is worn down.

One of the benefits of having quality depth, fresh legs to take advantage of a fatigued defense.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 11:08 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yes ThumbsUp

Perine is more like Pete Johnson FB type. Just 30 lbs. lighter lol. He's more of a between the tackles grind out 4 yards bust you in the mouth with an occasional 9 yard type runner.

Mixon has more agility can make a guy miss. But he lacks that true 3rd gear. He needs to stay in his lane as well. Make a cut and hit it. And I believe he's learning that.

I swear to God I didn't think you were lying LOL, but the bold had me scratching my head: I'm not a Bengal historian by any stretch, but I DEFINITELY didn't think he was 30 pounds heavier lol.

Looked it up, only 12 pounds heavier Wink

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PeriSa00.htm
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JohnPe00.htm
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 01:37 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I swear to God I didn't think you were lying LOL, but the bold had me scratching my head: I'm not a Bengal historian by any stretch, but I DEFINITELY didn't think he was 30 pounds heavier lol.

I know pads were bigger back then...but somebody's lyin. Big Grin

https://youtu.be/EAWZd96NhRI?t=397

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 02:06 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I know pads were bigger back then...but somebody's lyin. Big Grin

https://youtu.be/EAWZd96NhRI?t=397

I don't know!...

[Image: 8-001549__99436.1557259273.jpg]

[Image: samaje-perine-dfs-value-prop-bets-vs-ram...l-2022.jpg]

Pete looks pudgy in these pics, while Perine just looks like a ball of muscle.

And his beard probably adds 90 pounds...
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 03:17 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I don't know!...

Pete was def pudgy. You have to be able to take in the junk in his trunk to truly understand the size of Pete Johnson. 

I've seen a video of him walking in slow motion, from behind as the camera pans up, and dude was...bubbly.

I just couldn't find that video. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 01:37 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I swear to God I didn't think you were lying LOL, but the bold had me scratching my head: I'm not a Bengal historian by any stretch, but I DEFINITELY didn't think he was 30 pounds heavier lol.

I don't remember for sure what they had Pete listed at ? But remember this was 70's early 80's/ They were sitting on the bench smoking cigarettes lol. But I can remember everybody back then said his listed weight was ummm being nice. In other words add 20 lbs. to what the listed weight was, or more.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 03:37 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Pete was def pudgy. You have to be able to take in the junk in his trunk to truly understand the size of Pete Johnson. 

I've seen a video of him walking in slow motion, from behind as the camera pans up, and dude was...bubbly.

Pete Johnson vs. Jack Lambert on MNF probably like 80 or 81 ? is still one of my top 5 Bengal plays. Pete busted up the gut and absolutely trucked Lambert ! Lowered his head and busted him right in the chest. About like Peko vs. Polamalu only Pete kept running.

The announcer (Dan Dierdorf) maybe ? was going nuts !! He said "Johnson ran through there looking around saying gimmie somebody"
Reply/Quote
Mixon used to be able to make things happen in his early career.

He still has balance issues and is not speedy break-away RB now.

Don't get me wrong he is still serviceable but not a player that defenses fear for the long TDs anymore.

It sure would be nice in the future if they could find one.

Perine is nothing special but seemed to outplay Joe when given chance and has elevated his personal skills.

As to the OP. Is it possible that Mixon's decline early in the season has matched Perine's improvement?

I do have to agree with other posters that Joe is sometimes a slow starter throughout a season.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 10:30 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I don't remember for sure what they had Pete listed at ? But remember this was 70's early 80's/ They were sitting on the bench smoking cigarettes lol. But I can remember everybody back then said his listed weight was ummm being nice. In other words add 20 lbs. to what the listed weight was, or more.

lol 252 is what they have him at Wink
Reply/Quote
I would like to see Perine run on the plays where we are 2-3 yards from the goal line. The guy runs hard
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2022, 06:44 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Except when he has to block, then he is a turd. 

He may be the worst blocking back we've had.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2022, 05:13 PM)Cosmokramer Wrote: I don’t start many threads but I’ve noticed there has been a ton of talk about our lack of a running game.  I know Mixon is considered an elite RB and a lot of people are down in Perine, but during the saints game watching our two RBs I feel Perine runs harder, it just seemed to be he was much more explosive,  Mixon makes better cuts, but I just feel Perine takes his opportunities and makes the most of them.

Just my worthless 2cents

Edit;  it sometimes looks as tho Mixon just gives up or looks “lazy”. Does anyone else see that?

Perine and Mixon are replicas. They both are also good at catching.  Mixon is good but has an obvious achilles heel too, he can't block QBs. Numerous film to support this. Perine can block better. Perine has the edge because after a catch, he goes laterally once to avoid a tackle and then heads north, Mixon is more prone to go laterally more than once to avoid tacklers but ends up gaining less yardage as he's not nimble or agile. Mixon's edge has been to be durable and injury free for a man carrying the rock for the last couple of seasons (probably due to the fact that he goes down at first tackle). 

At this point, I would start looking to trade Mixon, promote Perine, get the future RB for the bengals in the coming draft.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2022, 05:13 PM)Cosmokramer Wrote: I don’t start many threads but I’ve noticed there has been a ton of talk about our lack of a running game.  I know Mixon is considered an elite RB and a lot of people are down in Perine, but during the saints game watching our two RBs I feel Perine runs harder, it just seemed to be he was much more explosive,  Mixon makes better cuts, but I just feel Perine takes his opportunities and makes the most of them.

Just my worthless 2cents

Edit;  it sometimes looks as tho Mixon just gives up or looks “lazy”. Does anyone else see that?

Nice thread, when talking about what we have been seeing from these RB's is blitz pickup is still the most important job by a
RB and Mixon has been terrible at this all the while Perine has been pretty decent at it. Mixon has looked much better running 
the ball as of late cause the OL has been much better in this Gap scheme but honestly I would give Perine a lot more snaps 
and Mixon a lot less especially if he has to pick up the blitz a lot if we are playing a blitz happy Defense.

Evans should also be getting at least 4 or 5 snaps a game instead of zero. Just my opinion on the RB situation right now.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2022, 05:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nice thread, when talking about what we have been seeing from these RB's is blitz pickup is still the most important job by a
RB and Mixon has been terrible at this all the while Perine has been pretty decent at it. Mixon has looked much better running 
the ball as of late cause the OL has been much better in this Gap scheme but honestly I would give Perine a lot more snaps 
and Mixon a lot less especially if he has to pick up the blitz a lot if we are playing a blitz happy Defense.

Evans should also be getting at least 4 or 5 snaps a game instead of zero. Just my opinion on the RB situation right now.

Evans seems like he could make a long run if he breaks away.

He's the bench guy.  I know. 

Yet we need a RB that can do that every once in a while.

If Mixon breaks any, he appears to leave extra yards on the field/TDs.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 10:39 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Pete Johnson vs. Jack Lambert on MNF probably like 80 or 81 ? is still one of my top 5 Bengal plays. Pete busted up the gut and absolutely trucked Lambert ! Lowered his head and busted him right in the chest. About like Peko vs. Polamalu only Pete kept running.

The announcer (Dan Dierdorf) maybe ? was going nuts !! He said "Johnson ran through there looking around saying gimmie somebody"

Pete was a load and trucked many of defenders.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 03:17 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I don't know!...

Know we all wore them in the day, but it looks weird seeing a RB wearing knee pads nowadays. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Tiger

Well Perine was a guy who was on the chopping block after the SB. Now he's the savior of the running game.Now Is it wrong to assume that because he's running hard...Well he better right!!!! Can we please see Chris Evans in some capacity of the running game. Now this Perine love crap!
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2022, 07:05 PM)bfine32 Wrote: DAMN!!! That's a lot of ankle injuries

No, it's a lot of times that it has to be brought up that Mixon injured his ankle in the Jets game, and it's like people refuse to acknowledge it. They'' say he's slower this year, that he's lost a step, or that he's run better the last game, but they refuse to acknowledge he was running on a bad ankle for a few games. It's like you have to......

[Image: treatment_aclockworkorange.jpg?fit=1200%2C720]
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 03:37 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Pete was def pudgy. You have to be able to take in the junk in his trunk to truly understand the size of Pete Johnson. 

Alright, we're bordering on another "Dalton Dong" thread here..... Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2022, 07:33 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

Well Perine was a guy who was on the chopping block after the SB. Now he's the savior of the running game.Now Is it wrong to assume that because he's running hard...Well he better right!!!! Can we please see Chris Evans in some capacity of the running game. Now this Perine love crap!

Not sure he was on the chopping block by Zac ever. Yet I was critical of him for not at least trying to catch the desperation throw by Burrow on the last play of SB that fell in front of him. Probably could not have caught but felt he had to try. 

Also was critical of him for not running behind his pads and juking too much, but it appears to have corrected that this year thankfully and looks much better.

Personally still don't know what we have in Evans and trusting the coaches on this decision. Yet your wish will most likely come to fruition about seeing him per it will be hard for Mixon and Perine to not miss any games all season long. The NFL is hard on RB's bodies.

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote