Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Mixon has a shot at most TD’s in franchise history
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Needs 3 next week so it won't have an asterisk on it.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2021, 11:07 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Needs 3 next week so it won't have an asterisk on it.

Eh, they only played 14 games a season until the late 70’s. Never really hear asterisk talk about records broken after that.

Reply/Quote
(12-26-2021, 11:11 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Eh, they only played 14 games a season until the late 70’s. Never really hear asterisk talk about records broken after that.

And, they won't stay at 17 games for long, anyway.  We know it's just a steppingstone to 18.  

The record has held for a quarter century.  It's time for a new leader.  Go Joe!
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2021, 11:11 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Eh, they only played 14 games a season until the late 70’s. Never really hear asterisk talk about records broken after that.

Charlie Weiss was talking about that the other day.  Went from 12 to 14 to 16 without anyone saying it anything about it (outside of undefeated & winless records).

To me, the fact that it is only 1 game added is significant.  Records will be broken by a slim margin, as opposed to two extra games of statistics.

For a lot of all time records, I tend to look at the per game numbers to allow comparison between the eras of schedule length.

All of that said, isn't it amazing that the record for INTs in a season is still Night Train Lane's 14 in the 12 game season of 1952?!?!
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2021, 11:21 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: All of that said, isn't it amazing that the record for INTs in a season is still Night Train Lane's 14 in the 12 game season of 1952?!?!

Not surprising when you see that NFL teams averaged 24.8 interceptions in 1952.

Last year NFL teams averaged just 12.3 despite playing 4 more games.
Reply/Quote
Mostly you gotta like Mixon - runs really well AND is a capable receiver. Only places he needs to improve are pass protection and he could use some training on running through attempts at trips and leg tackles - clean that up and he becomes a complete monster.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2021, 11:11 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Eh, they only played 14 games a season until the late 70’s. Never really hear asterisk talk about records broken after that.

I'm sure there was talk about it back in the late 70's when the change happened and all the long standing records were broken in the first few years of longer schedules...but I wasn't around back then.

Either way, I doubt people will care 40 years from now, but for now, yes...people will mention it. Tbh, bulk stats don't matter to me anyway.

Yards per game, TDs per game, passer rating, single game records, etc. Those are the ones that matter most to me, as they are unaffected by how many games a guy played.

Still it's nice for our guys to break records.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I like Mixon's odds. He's been playing hard all season and without expecting a ton of attention...he seems to have really matured from his Big 12 days. He deserves it.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2021, 01:33 AM)Joelist Wrote: Mostly you gotta like Mixon - runs really well AND is a capable receiver. Only places he needs to improve are pass protection and he could use some training on running through attempts at trips and leg tackles - clean that up and he becomes a complete monster.

Yes, he is becoming who I thought he could be but he needs to battle through those little leg swats.

They shouldn't bother a dude with legs like that. Mixon could be great, just need to keep his snaps a little lower and not wear him
out. His route running and pass catching is tops, he has gotten better at pass pro even if he isn't Gio in this aspect yet.

Loved how Mixon told Zac on the field when we were at the 3 yard line that we need to go for it on 4th and Mixon made sure we
got the TD. He saw something and how the OL was blocking Baltimore and made it happen.
Reply/Quote
Barring catastrophe, I expect Mixon will get the record.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote