Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixon in the passing game
Over Mixon's first 4 seasons in the NFL he had a total of 5 games with 5+ receptions. Through the first 14 games of this season he had 2 more.

But over his last 4 games he is averaging 5.6 receptions on 6.3 targets for 47.3 yards. Projected over a full season that would be 95 receptions for 803 yards.

At the same time his rushing average has dropped to just 53.3 yards per game which projects to 905 yards over a full season. But still averaging over 100 yards from scrimmage per game.
Reply/Quote
This post was made before Mixon caught 5 more passes in the Super Bowl.

So he had 31 receptions over his last 6 games. That would project to 88 receptions over a 17 game season.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2022, 12:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This post was made before Mixon caught 5 more passes in the Super Bowl.

So he had 31 receptions over his last 6 games. That would project to 88 receptions over a 17 game season.

He’s going to be our most dynamic threat after Chase and near his level with our better OL. Mixon averaged a TD every 14 touches at Oklahoma. That’s the best of any player ever there. He’s going to have a huge year if he can stay healthy. He will give Derrick Henry and Jonathan Taylor a run for the best running back discussion.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2022, 12:45 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: He’s going to be our most dynamic threat after Chase and near his level with our better OL. Mixon averaged a TD every 14 touches at Oklahoma. That’s the best of any player ever there. He’s going to have a huge year if he can stay healthy. He will give Derrick Henry and Jonathan Taylor a run for the best running back discussion.

Derrick Henry isn't in that conversation at the moment, not after last season. He wasn't running that well even before his injury, he was just running a lot. I would say that Nick Chubb, Taylor and Ekeler are the top guys, right off the top of my head. I think Mixon is most similar to Ekeler, just a bigger version. I have been wanting to see him used more and more in the passing game for a while now. He is a very natural receiver. Replacing some of his carries with receptions could help extend his longevity, though I believe we are close to the end of Mixon's career here in Cincinnati. They are sinking too much money into him with these extensions looming. 

Also, college performance has no correlation to NFL performance. Mixon was a stud at OU, but so was Samaje Perine. You tout Mixon's touchdown per touch numbers but you know who is also tied with Mixon for that record? Samaje Perine. He also averaged a touchdown every 14 touches. DeAnthony Thomas averaged a touchdown every EIGHT touches at Oregon and he is out of the league. LaMichael James averaged a touchdown every 14 touches as well, and he didn't even finish out his rookie contract before washing out of the league. 
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2022, 01:03 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Derrick Henry isn't in that conversation at the moment, not after last season. He wasn't running that well even before his injury, he was just running a lot. I would say that Nick Chubb, Taylor and Ekeler are the top guys, right off the top of my head. I think Mixon is most similar to Ekeler, just a bigger version. I have been wanting to see him used more and more in the passing game for a while now. He is a very natural receiver. Replacing some of his carries with receptions could help extend his longevity, though I believe we are close to the end of Mixon's career here in Cincinnati. They are sinking too much money into him with these extensions looming. 

Also, college performance has no correlation to NFL performance. Mixon was a stud at OU, but so was Samaje Perine. You tout Mixon's touchdown per touch numbers but you know who is also tied with Mixon for that record? Samaje Perine. He also averaged a touchdown every 14 touches. DeAnthony Thomas averaged a touchdown every EIGHT touches at Oregon and he is out of the league. LaMichael James averaged a touchdown every 14 touches as well, and he didn't even finish out his rookie contract before washing out of the league. 

Well we’ve gone round and round a little on Mixon. I think he emerges in the discussion as best NFL back this coming season.
Reply/Quote
Maybe it's perception, but on things like swing passes it seems he goes down one on one a lot of the time.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2022, 01:57 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Maybe it's perception, but on things like swing passes it seems he goes down one on one a lot of the time.

Yes, that's been my biggest complaint about him. It's either that or he falls down on his own while having open field in front of him.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2022, 01:48 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Well we’ve gone round and round a little on Mixon. I think he emerges in the discussion as best NFL back this coming season.

We have. You're an OU fan, so naturally you're going to charge Mixon up. Living in Oklahoma as well, I had plenty of buddies charging Mayfield up to be the next big thing, it is just what happens. Same with Hollywood Brown, and every other OU player that has been drafted over the last decade. I don't disagree that he could jump into that conversation. Where I disagreed was you bringing him into the MVP discussion, but I digress. If Mixon stays healthy, I think he will be one of the best backs in the league this coming season. We are on the same page there.

We just disagree on "Mixon for MVP" talk, and whether or not his college performance matters for his NFL prospects. 
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2022, 02:31 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: We have. You're an OU fan, so naturally you're going to charge Mixon up. Living in Oklahoma as well, I had plenty of buddies charging Mayfield up to be the next big thing, it is just what happens. Same with Hollywood Brown, and every other OU player that has been drafted over the last decade.

Well the UC homers don't over project Ridder..........oh wait.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2022, 12:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This post was made before Mixon caught 5 more passes in the Super Bowl.

So he had 31 receptions over his last 6 games.  That would project to 88 receptions over a 17 game season.

Many RBs are converting to more hybrid guys now compared to strictly runners.
And at the end of the day, yards from scrimmage is all that matters.
Ekeler and Kamara are probably the biggest guys that split.

Ekeler's never had 1000 rushing yards, but he's always had over 900 yards from scrimmage every season since 2018.
Kamara is in the same boat.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2022, 03:00 PM)Stewy Wrote: Well the UC homers don't over project Ridder..........oh wait.

We don't....because we know he's not a great QB. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Would love to know how Mixons speed projects against other RBs in the league.

From an eye test stand point, his speed seems to be the only thing lacking. He doesn't seem capable of breaking off long TD runs. (over 40-50 yards). He's constantly being chased down from behind.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2022, 03:02 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Many RBs are converting to more hybrid guys now compared to strictly runners.
And at the end of the day, yards from scrimmage is all that matters.
Ekeler and Kamara are probably the biggest guys that split.

Ekeler's never had 1000 rushing yards, but he's always had over 900 yards from scrimmage every season since 2018.
Kamara is in the same boat.

Yeah, Ekeler is a sneaky good RB. People tend to not account for a backs receiving yards, similar to how they discount a QBs rushing yardage. If you argue for Ekeler being a top RB, a lot of people will reject it until they find out he averaged 5.6 yards a touch with 1500+ total yards and 20 TDs last season. Dude is a monster, one of my favorite players in the league and I am not typically a fan of RBs. 
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2022, 03:00 PM)Stewy Wrote: Well the UC homers don't over project Ridder..........oh wait.

Surprisingly, I haven't seen much chatter about Ridder. However, the amount of tOSU players that are hyped as the next big thing within the Bengals fan-circle is nauseating. Putting out Hall of Famers at every position, every year, if you believe the fanbase. 
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2022, 03:08 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Yeah, Ekeler is a sneaky good RB. People tend to not account for a backs receiving yards, similar to how they discount a QBs rushing yardage. If you argue for Ekeler being a top RB, a lot of people will reject it until they find out he averaged 5.6 yards a touch with 1500+ total yards and 20 TDs last season. Dude is a monster, one of my favorite players in the league and I am not typically a fan of RBs. 

Depending on if you do PPR or not, pass-catching hybrid RBs can actually give you more points than a guy who really only rushes for the same yards from scrimmage.
I think this has also played a factor in more people paying attention to pass-catching RBs.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2022, 01:57 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Maybe it's perception, but on things like swing passes it seems he goes down one on one a lot of the time.
Dropping 10 lbs would do Mixon a world of good.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2022, 03:06 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: We don't....because we know he's not a great QB. 

Interesting considering threads where he's been linked to Pittsburgh are full of doom for us and love for Ridder.
Reply/Quote