Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thought of the Day: 10 years from now, will Mixon still be vilified?
The first question is whether what he did was how he really is or was it a horrible aberration? His history since the incident strongly suggests the latter. Since he has been here, all signs point to the latter.

All he can do is keep his head down, work his ass off to be a good player and teammate and give back. Seems like everyone around the team has nothing but good things to say about him. Personally, I have no fear of further incidents from him.

Sure, there will be some who won't forget but that is more their problem than his.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-09-2017, 06:17 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Depends...  If he runs us to the Superbowl...    He might be a Statue.

The young lady involved has forgiven him and went their separate ways... If she can get over what happened...  no one else has any reason to be upset about it. except mixon himself @ himself

Really that's about the bottom line of the situation.

I think that is the most important thing of all. The woman who was hit, is not bringing it up and has made peace with him. If he keeps himself out of trouble, and she isn't on the TV every week talking about what happened (and I can't imagine she would ever want to be talked to about it) then over time, this will fade. 

He has been granted a second chance, it is now completely up to him what to do with that second chance.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2017, 04:28 PM)ochocincos Wrote: In practically every national media article related to the Bengals since being drafted, Joe Mixon's incident is brought up.
However, since becoming a Bengal, he's been a model citizen, often going the extra mile to interact with fans and signing autographs after other Bengals have left.
So I started to wonder what the perception of him will be if he stays on this path to redeem himself? Will most people forgive/forget what he did as a teenager and see a story of redemption? Or will they continue to vilify him (and the Bengals organization itself) for that infamous incident?

Your thoughts?

The Jeremy Hill pick was vilified by many on here at the time. Two reasons were mainly brought up...people had wanted Carlos Hyde, and Hill had a few incidents (arrests or suspensions, I forget which). All that negative stuff went out the window when he posted an impressive rookie year. Now any negativity against him centers on him regaining that rookie form rather than his run ins with the law in college. Mixon will be the same....his college stuff will be forgotten if he does 2 things...performs well on the field, and stays clean off it.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2017, 02:53 PM)McC Wrote: The first question is whether what he did was how he really is or was it a horrible aberration?  His history since the incident strongly suggests the latter.  Since he has been here, all signs point to the latter.

All he can do is keep his head down, work his ass off to be a good player and teammate and give back.  Seems like everyone around the team has nothing but good things to say about him.   Personally, I have no fear of further incidents from him.

Sure, there will be some who won't forget but that is more their problem than his.

This has been my impression as well from what I've seen/read in his time with the Bengals. I hope he stays on the path he seems to be on. It seems to be the right one.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Put it this way, most people like dogs more than they do people. Michael Vick has been forgiven and has even found his place as spokesman against cruelty to animals. If Mixon puts up big numbers and works in the community, all will be forgiven...
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2017, 04:17 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Put it this way, most people like dogs more than they do people. Michael Vick has been forgiven and has even found his place as spokesman against cruelty to animals. If Mixon puts up big numbers and works in the community, all will be forgiven...

I dunno man, I know a guy in KC, and they are getting up petitions, and have a Facebook page dedicated to the cause.  Seems Chiefs fans, at least some of them, aren't too keen on him being there as an intern.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-10-2017, 04:17 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Put it this way, most people like dogs more than they do people. Michael Vick has been forgiven and has even found his place as spokesman against cruelty to animals. If Mixon puts up big numbers and works in the community, all will be forgiven...

I'm one of those people that likes dogs more than people. But I also feel that animal cruelty is incredibly bad because it's most often humans taking out their anger/frustrations on something helpless that did nothing wrong.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
If he puts up 150 rushing, 225 combined and 3 TDs in a big week one win over the raisins - he's good in my book!
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2017, 10:44 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Ray Lewis killed two people and he's one of the most famous players of all-time and still involved as an analyst and in commercials and things. Winning cures all.

Now, since we're the league's whipping boy, if we suck and he's an arrogant dick on the field, then they'd bring it up as a "pattern of behavior."

^This^

If we turn it around with him carrying the load, and we actually win some playoffs games (become relevant) And he keeps it clean on and off the field - yes it will be forgotten.

If we continue to be the perennial one and done, close but no cigar, can't beat the Steelers team we are. Then yes Cincinnati will continue to be the NFL whipping boy, Mixon included.
Reply/Quote
I will say, his first trip to stadiums around the league could be brutal. Hope he's good at tuning out.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Probably not, unless it happens again. Mixon's story took some of the heat off Jameis Winston. Before long someone else will be in the spotlight. If Mixon stays out of trouble, the heat will die down.
Reply/Quote
If he plays for the Bengals his whole career then he will still get trashed by the media. Nothing will change that our team is always a target and always will be. Get use to it and be proud of it nothing we can do to change it so embrace it and don't be surprised when it happens.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2017, 04:28 PM)ochocincos Wrote: In practically every national media article related to the Bengals since being drafted, Joe Mixon's incident is brought up.
However, since becoming a Bengal, he's been a model citizen, often going the extra mile to interact with fans and signing autographs after other Bengals have left.
So I started to wonder what the perception of him will be if he stays on this path to redeem himself? Will most people forgive/forget what he did as a teenager and see a story of redemption? Or will they continue to vilify him (and the Bengals organization itself) for that infamous incident?

Your thoughts?

Because there is video...he will always be vilified.  Ask Rey Rice.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2017, 09:22 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Because there is video...he will always be vilified.  Ask Rey Rice.

Rice would have been picked up by another team by now if he had anything left.  He's washed up as a player which is why he's not back in the NFL
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2017, 04:34 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Rice would have been picked up by another team by now if he had anything left.  He's washed up as a player which is why he's not back in the NFL

I don't know...AP had quite a dud of a season and the Saints still wanted him, and he had an off the field issue as well.  
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2017, 06:43 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I don't know...AP had quite a dud of a season and the Saints still wanted him, and he had an off the field issue as well.  

But AP's career was much bigger and much more successful than Ray Rice's career.  Sure they're gonna give him a chance to see if he can work in their system.
Reply/Quote
Situations like this are why I respect Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis. They take players of questionable character and turn them into upstanding men. Sometimes they succeed -- Chris Henry, Jeremy Hill, Vontaze Burfict -- and sometimes they don't -- Pacman Jones.* It's good to have Joe Mixon on an NFL roster under the media microscope instead of on the street, undrafted, and headed for trouble. Think of the great mentors Joe has: AJ Green, Giovani Bernard, Andy Dalton, AJ McCarron, and more. I can see Andy and Jordan or AJ and Miranda or AJ and Katherine having Joe over for dinner and a movie. He needs family around.

*I'll start calling Pacman Jones "Adam" again when he stops acting like Pacman.
Reply/Quote