Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Mixon is the reason this team is successful this year..
Tiger

I ride this offensive line but they really played physical football today. Thats my game ball.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2021, 06:58 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Totally Mixon is the offensive succes.. Burrow is good but without a running game Burrow is avg at best

Can you compliment anyone without shitting on Burrow? Damn, we get it...
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2021, 07:35 PM)Tony Wrote: Can you compliment anyone without shitting on Burrow? Damn, we get it...

ThumbsUp
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2021, 06:58 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Totally Mixon is the offensive succes.. Burrow is good but without a running game Burrow is avg at best

Run game success has no correlation to passing game success. The run game has stunk for most of this season and Burrow was still playing very well, this is silly.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2021, 07:39 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Run game success has no correlation to passing game success. The run game has stunk for most of this season and Burrow was still playing very well, this is silly.

"Par for the course" comes to mind. Mellow

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
One thing I noticed about about Mixon today is he was very decisive in his cuts. It seems like in recent weeks he was getting caught up in trying to make people miss to where he would just stutter step and head fake forever into a 1 or 2 yard gain. Didn't see much of that today and it was refreshing. Cedric Benson did that shit a lot.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2021, 08:08 PM)basballguy Wrote: One thing I noticed about about Mixon today is he was very decisive in his cuts.  It seems like in recent weeks he was getting caught up in trying to make people miss to where he would just stutter step and head fake forever into a 1 or 2 yard gain.  Didn't see much of that today and it was refreshing.  Cedric Benson did that shit a lot.

His field awareness was outstanding today.  My favorite was his steal of the almost interception by Highsmith.  He took it from him in mid juggle.  

and then there was this

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(11-24-2021, 01:23 AM)Tony Wrote: He's 4th in rushing, and I know people will say the defense is the reason they are better than last year. I think It changed the whole dynamic of this offense... The Bengals record has to be high when he rushes around 100 yards... If they can keep sustaining that, they will be hard to stop.. No wonder Mixon loves Pollack...

Mixon’s spectacular game today was a direct result of improved OL play.This OL is really coming together.No RB,no matter how how good,can have great success without the OL.Remember before the season began,most on this board agreed that this team would only go as far as the OL would take them.Because other than the OL,which at that time was a big question mark,we felt we had the talent to be a playoff contender.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2021, 08:12 PM)pally Wrote: His field awareness was outstanding today.  My favorite was his steal of the almost interception by Highsmith.  He took it from him in mid juggle.  

and then there was this

I saw that when it happened and thought he was pointing at one of the steelers. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2021, 08:20 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: Mixon’s spectacular game today was a direct result of improved OL play.This OL is really coming together.No RB,no matter how how good,can have great success without the OL.Remember before the season began,most on this board agreed that this team would only go as far as the OL would take them.Because other than the OL,which at that time was a big question mark,we felt we had the talent to be a playoff contender.
I gave Pollack props.. It's right in the quote... They changed the whole scheme.. Pollack is also the run game coordinator.. He's doing something right with that Oline and scheme...
Reply/Quote
It seems like once the Oline gets Mixon going his whole energy level changes...
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2021, 07:39 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Run game success has no correlation to passing game success. The run game has stunk for most of this season and Burrow was still playing very well, this is silly.

I can't fully agree with this. Great run games make the safeties cheat up. Makes defense respect play action. Keeps you out of 3rd and long situations which put QBs in a bind.

I'd never say Burrow is "average" by any stretch, but run game success is extremely important.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2021, 08:55 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I can't fully agree with this. Great run games make the safeties cheat up. Makes defense respect play action. Keeps you out of 3rd and long situations which put QBs in a bind.

I'd never say Burrow is "average" by any stretch, but run game success is extremely important.

I’ve studied this back to 2010-current. I gathered run metrics and pass metrics and tried to find correlations and there wasn’t any. For every good passing team with good rushing metrics, there was a good passing team with bad rushing metrics, so on and so forth. Basically, as YPC increases, YPA does not increase. Neither does passer rating.

Play-action works because the threat of a run exists, not because of the success of said run game. If a RB is on the field, defenses have to respect the threat and play their run fits. Otherwise, you’ll have Samaje Perine running wild on you. That’s been studied by an analyst named Ben Baldwin, and his conclusion was also “no correlation”.

Of course, I’m not going to act like I’ve done my studies 100% perfectly, so I could be missing something and this isn’t completely definitive. I’ve seen enough to feel confident about that conclusion and I’ve also received similar answers from a couple of coaches I know personally. It’s an area of interest for me, though, so I look into it often.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2021, 09:19 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I’ve studied this back to 2010-current. I gathered run metrics and pass metrics and tried to find correlations and there wasn’t any. For every good passing team with good rushing metrics, there was a good passing team with bad rushing metrics, so on and so forth. Basically, as YPC increases, YPA does not increase. Neither does passer rating.

Play-action works because the threat of a run exists, not because of the success of said run game. If a RB is on the field, defenses have to respect the threat and play their run fits. Otherwise, you’ll have Samaje Perine running wild on you. That’s been studied by an analyst named Ben Baldwin, and his conclusion was also “no correlation”.

Of course, I’m not going to act like I’ve done my studies 100% perfectly, so I could be missing something and this isn’t completely definitive. I’ve seen enough to feel confident about that conclusion and I’ve also received similar answers from a couple of coaches I know personally. It’s an area of interest for me, though, so I look into it often.

I respect your research, but there's so many variables. Quality of QB also comes into play, not just the run game. A good run game isn't going to lift a truly bad pass O...but I'd say a good QB will be helped by a good run game.

Just look at how Ryan Tannehill got a 2nd life with the Titans.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2021, 09:34 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I respect your research, but there's so many variables. Quality of QB also comes into play, not just the run game. A bad run game isn't going to lift a truly bad pass O...but I'd say a good QB will be helped by a good run game.

and now look at how crap he is without Henry
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2021, 09:34 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I respect your research, but there's so many variables. Quality of QB also comes into play, not just the run game. A good run game isn't going to lift a truly bad pass O...but I'd say a good QB will be helped by a good run game.

Tannehill is actually an interesting point. Today, he had two 100 yard rushers and yet shit the bed. A dominating run game, but a horrific performance from him. Of course, you're right about the variables. Maybe that is something I could look into. Isolate QBs that are universally considered 'good' over the past eleven years and then study if their performances are benefitted by strong running performances. That is a study I haven't done. Not sure if you're interested, but I'll do that real quick and post the results. That could be an angle that produces something. 
Reply/Quote
I think what is important to add here is that the team has a "healhty" Joe Mixon out there running hard.

He looks to be running harder and stronger each week now, and he is making decisive cuts in the hole and going for it. Not seeing as much of the stutter step and happy feet. He just makes up his mind and goes.

He has to be the MVP on the team at this point.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2021, 09:41 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Tannehill is actually an interesting point. Today, he had two 100 yard rushers and yet shit the bed. A dominating run game, but a horrific performance from him. Of course, you're right about the variables. Maybe that is something I could look into. Isolate QBs that are universally considered 'good' over the past eleven years and then study if their performances are benefitted by strong running performances. That is a study I haven't done. Not sure if you're interested, but I'll do that real quick and post the results. That could be an angle that produces something. 

Yeah he was bad today, but generally speaking he revived his career in Tennessee and played great for the most part.

I'd love to see a study on good QBs with a good run game vs bad. Particularly interesting would be good QBs who went from having a great run game to a poor one.

Ben built a HOF resume with a great run game. Since the Steelers started leaning on him more over the past decade, he hasn't achieved much. Some empty calorie numbers, I guess.

Of course, I guess that's delving more into team success rather than isolating pass success.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2021, 09:42 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: He has to be the MVP on the team at this point.

A month ago, I'd say false. Today, I'd say you'd have a fair argument.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2021, 09:46 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Yeah he was bad today, but generally speaking he revived his career in Tennessee and played great for the most part.

I'd love to see a study on good QBs with a good run game vs bad. Particularly interesting would be good QBs who went from having a great run game to a poor one.

Ben built a HOF resume with a great run game. Since the Steelers started leaning on him more over the past decade, he hasn't achieved much. Some empty calorie numbers, I guess.

Of course, I guess that's delving more into team success rather than isolating pass success.

Okay, cool. I'll put something together here and post the results either as a reply to this comment or in it's own thread, one of the two. 
Reply/Quote