Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixon's Migrane Should Be Good Now
(09-02-2020, 11:37 AM)muskiesfan Wrote: I'm happy they got this done. I think it's a good deal for Mixon and the Bengals. It keeps the Joes tied together.

The people complaining about the deal would be the same ones complaining if he held out or walked after the season. He's a good young player who's best years should still be ahead of him. With Mixon in the fold, hopefully we can move on from Bernard's ridiculous deal next season. Obviously the Bengals were fine with the amount as they're the ones footing the bill. They had a solid and aggressive free agency and have now locked up one of their young, core players. I don't see what's not to be happy about.

There should still be the possibility to extend WJIII. As for AJ, I'm just not sure. Whether precaution or not, he's getting $18m this year and already has a hamstring issue. Unless AJ plays all 16 games and balls out this year, I don't really see the importance of extending him. I love the guy just as much as any other Bengals fan. He was amazing for us. However, he continues to age, continues to have injury issues, and continues costing the team a lot of money.

Great post Muskies, feel precisely the same on all points. We now have our best player from last season on Offense locked up.

If AJ continues to just get injured and is not the same this year you have to let him go. We will see what Ross does this season
as well as Tee Higgins who are both really talented. But if AJ goes we will probably need to Draft another weapon pretty early 
next year and keep on trying to fix this O-line so Burrow, Mixon and company thrive.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2020, 01:31 PM)jj22 Wrote: I like it. We have a rookie qb, and really besides Mixon, Boyd and Burrow who else on Offense is the future? (Williams I hope).

This contract will be a steal after the year Mixon has.

Listening to the "Locked on Bengals" podcast with Jake Lisco and James Rapien during my lunchtime workout, the point that Mixon will be THE focal point of the offense this season was presented.  

If you think about it, this makes a ton of sense.  It won't be Green as he hasn't even stayed healthy through camp and we all know how nagging hamstrings can be.  He will surely be a solid contributor if healthy, but he won't be the focal point.  Neither will Burrow...or at least he shouldn't be.  This season should be largely put on the shoulders of Mixon.

If he can pick up where he left off last year, making play-action that much more deadly with Burrow, then he will be THE guy on offense.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
BTW, his migraines were for real and he's had them for 2-3 weeks; last week's dental work helped curb them a bit.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 04:19 PM)BobJones4980 Wrote: How'd Gio look running behind this Oline last year? Not anywhere near as good as Mixon. This idea that you can plug any RB into any system and have the same results is crazy, especially when were talking 1-2 mil difference in Mixon vs a guy like Mack.

I agree with Bob, especially after seeing the contract. Would rather have Mixon for a few more mil a year than a RB like Mack.

Mixon is a special RB and has not been used in the passing game as much as he should be. With Burrow coming in who likes to
throw to the RB this could be the year we really see Mixon used the right way. He could blow up the league this year.

Gio is not the same RB, but is good at picking up the blitz. I expect us to keep him around this year and let him go next.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2020, 03:44 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: BTW, his migraines were for real and he's had them for 2-3 weeks; last week's dental work helped curb them a bit.

As did this week's contract.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-02-2020, 01:04 PM)Whatever Wrote:   Joe would not have gotten 4 years, $48 mil on the open market next year 

We got him for 5 years for $48 million (if he plays enough to earn the bonuses).  That is $9.6 million per year.  Based on his production I said he was worth around $9 million per year.  So it is not a bad deal.

I don't understand how people believe that talent makes no difference at the RB position.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2020, 05:29 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't understand how people believe that talent makes no difference at the RB position.

^^^^ Fred is up to his old tricks.

(Literally no one has said this, or even remotely implied it.)
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2020, 05:46 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: ^^^^ Fred is up to his old tricks.

(Literally no one has said this, or even remotely implied it.)

(09-01-2020, 06:22 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Running backs are a dime a dozen. You draft one, use him, and move on and draft another one for cheap. 

Rolleyes
Reply/Quote
BTW, just watched a Mixon interview. Dude was all class and I guess he was just trolling earlier on when people were
jumping to conclusions (including me) about him tweeting in a bogus manner. Says the Offense is going to be special
with Burrow and everyone, said Burrow's leadership was the thing that stands out to him the most. Just a little tidbit
of a 21 minute interview, excited about the future with Burrow, Mixon and Boyd.
Reply/Quote
Yes me too. Building an exciting young core.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2020, 07:12 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Yes me too. Building an exciting young core.

As always, short and straight to the point Mason lol
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 03:58 PM)Au165 Wrote: No, the extension is 48 over 4. He has one year remaining on the current deal to make it 5. Now if they spread some money forward to this year and we are looking at somethign closer to 10 a year with little guranteed after 3 it wouldn't be a train wreck.

That is the way I view this signing.  I figured about $8-10 Mil per.  Lets hope he stays healthy.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 08:53 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Mark Ingram has argubly been a better back recently, and he just signed a 5 mil per deal last season.  We're paying Mixon 2.5x the amount to stay here beyond 2020.

Fwiw, here is the tail of the tape for Mixon vs. Ingram over the last 3 years:

Rushing Yards
Mixon - 2,930
Ingram - 2,787

YPC
Mixon - 4.2
Ingram - 4.9

Rushing TD's
Mixon - 17
Ingram - 28

Receiving Yards
Mixon -870
Ingram - 833

Receiving TD's
Mixon - 4
Ingram - 6

Total Yards
Mixon - 3,800
Ingram - 3,620

Total TD's
Mixon - 21
Ingram - 34

This, IMHO, is the problem that some of us who don't like the deal have.  I think this is a good illustration of why the deal is for way too much.

I didn't mind paying Mixon more than Ingram.  I can buy easily buy into the ideas that he's played behind lesser lines, and hasn't been properly used in the passing game, and that he's been in offenses that have struggled to score.  I get all that.

But at some point production factors into contracts in this league.  So while I can accept paying him more than 50% more than Ingram at 8 mil plus, I cannot get on board with paying 2.5 times the amount.

The numbers just aren't there to support this amount.  Not to mention the absolute disasters of contracts that were handed out to David Johnson, Todd Gurley, and Leveon Bell support the idea that it's bad business to pay big money to an RB.  (Henry and McCaffery are on new deals, and Zeke is only 1 year in.  There value remains to be seen.)

Totally different situations.. Mixon signing is in his prime.. Ingram is a 10 year vet at RB.. Baltimore offense vs Bengals offense over last few years night and day.  Also for me the maybe Extra $$ is worth it because he will just compensate Burrow... i rather pay a bit more for Mixon with our rookie Number 1 pick
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2020, 05:29 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We got him for 5 years for $48 million (if he plays enough to earn the bonuses).  That is $9.6 million per year.  Based on his production I said he was worth around $9 million per year.  So it is not a bad deal.

I don't understand how people believe that talent makes no difference at the RB position.

We already had him for this year, though.  With the new CBA, he can't sit out while under contract.  We paid $48 million to get him for four more years.  Sure, we get to spread out the cap hit from the signing bonus into this year and save a little per year, but that's the only advantage the team got.  Even then, they only ate $3 mil of the deal this year.  His cap hit is $10.7 mil in '21 and '22 and goes up to $12.1 the final two years.  If you want to split hairs, it's basically 4 years, $45 mil because they ate $3 mil of the cap hit this year.  

I'm a big proponent of talent at RB, and I'm certainly not one of those guys that thinks they can count on getting a starting RB on day 3 of the draft.  However, Joe is a good, but not elite RB in my view.  He was 9th in rushing yards, 33rd in YPC, and 12th in Yards per Game last year.  Those aren't elite numbers, but starting next year his cap hit will be that of an elite RB.  
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2020, 12:48 AM)Whatever Wrote:  If you want to split hairs, it's basically 4 years, $45 mil because they ate $3 mil of the cap hit this year.    

I don't care about splitting hairs.  All I care about are the facts.  And that is we are paying him $48 million over 5 years (if he plays enough to earn bonuses)

(09-03-2020, 12:48 AM)Whatever Wrote: I'm a big proponent of talent at RB, and I'm certainly not one of those guys that thinks they can count on getting a starting RB on day 3 of the draft.  However, Joe is a good, but not elite RB in my view.  He was 9th in rushing yards, 33rd in YPC, and 12th in Yards per Game last year.  Those aren't elite numbers, but starting next year his cap hit will be that of an elite RB.  

He produced those numbers behind one of the worst lines in the entire league and with not much of a passing game to loosen up the defense.
Reply/Quote
Honestly feels like a deal after Kamara and Cook just got huge contracts.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2020, 02:07 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Honestly feels like a deal after Kamara and Cook just got huge contracts.

His is still in that ballpark with their new deals. Kamara was always going to get more than Mixon. Cook is a better comparison. I’ll take Mixon’s deal of either of theirs. Plus we don’t have the extra year of risk with Mixon’s. Definitely looks a little better in comparison
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2020, 02:07 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Honestly feels like a deal after Kamara and Cook just got huge contracts.

Two other mistakes don't erase an original mistake.

An awful lot of big money RB deals lately that I expect to look real bad about 2 years from now.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2020, 02:16 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Two other mistakes don't erase an original mistake.

An awful lot of big money RB deals lately that I expect to look real bad about 2 years from now.

Kamara is going to show just how good he really is when Drew Brees retires
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2020, 02:18 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Kamara is going to show just how good he really is when Drew Brees retires

I just think Kamara is a full-sized Sproles. There's certainly value in a player like that, but I don't know if I see $15m/yr value. I think Sean Payton/Drew Brees seem to be able to make it work with most anyone they put in there...

Last 3 Years
Alvin Kamara: 485 rushes / 2,408 rushing yards (5.0 YPC) / 27 rushing TDs ... 243 receptions / 2,068 receiving yards (8.5 AVG) / 10 receiving TDs
2nd Best NO RBs: 486 rushes / 2,300 rushing yards (4.7 YPC) / 21 rushing TDs ... 81 receptions / 652 receiving yards (8.0 AVG) / 7 receiving TDs

They lose almost nothing in the rushing department when they had Mark Ingram/Latavius Murray in the game instead of Kamara, and the receiving department seems to be more of a situation of opportunity rather than ability as you see the AVG yards per catch (and not listed, the completion %) are awfully close and the TD rate is actually way better.

Don't get me wrong, Kamara is a good RB, but I don't think he's worth $15m/yr when they could get fairly similar results from a cobbling together of Mark Ingram ('17-'18) and Latavius Murray ('19) at about $4m/yr.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote