Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Mixon wants to be a Bengal for life...
I will take this all day. Mixon is a helluv a RB to end up going over 1000 yards under the circumstances this season. Top it off with his attitude remains positive and he wants to be here even after we grossly mis/under-used him for 8 games in a 2-14 season? Pfffft. No brainer. With some much needed OL upgrades, he could really be a good bit better than he looks now.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 05:07 PM)Au165 Wrote: Ahh so we are going to play that game. Okay I'll play, Pittsburgh who has a worse run blocking ranking then us, had their three headed monster of day 3 running back picks who basically accounted for the same amount of carries and yards as Mixon.

so you basically used 3 roster spots to account for Mixon and this is a proof of concept?  Lets also not forget that mid way thru the season the steelers had a much higher ranking overall on their offensive line.  Cincinnati was pretty much considered the bottom 2 the entire season.  https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-offensive-line-rankings-week-8

The Bengals Rushing grade is directly affected by the success of Mixon who did it despise being behind a terrible offensive line.  So their rushing stats are actually inflated regardless of the fact that smith, hart, and jordan may be the worst graded rushing offensive lineman in the nfl.  

I don't care let the guy leave so I can laugh when he goes to a halfway decent team and becomes the best RB in the NFL.  If you think 10 million a year is too much for Mixon then I'm not going to try and convince you otherwise.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 05:16 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: That stat is very meaningful. He can't finish runs. At no point do you ever feel like he can take it to the house.

How can you feel like he can't "take it to the house" when he was second in the league in runs over 40 yards last year?

Are you saying there was only one RB in the league who could "take it to the house" in 2018?
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 05:14 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: RBs are important!

What would Cleveland's record be this year with Chubb?

Would Minnesota be in the playoffs without Cook?

Would the Saints have had their recent resurgence without the addition of Kamara??

Would we have won ANY games without Mixon???

I agree, Mixon shouldn't be paid as much as some of the top RBs, simply because its too much. However, to disregard the impact of a great running back seems naive.

I think we're all in agreement that running backs are definitely important, but there's also another similarity between all of the guys you mentioned...

They're all on rookie contracts. 

Cheap running backs are like QB's on rookie contracts. They help you pay the premiums that the other positions cost. You use them for the length of their contract, usually four years, let them hit the market and have some other team pay, then go after another player to use at RB. 
[Image: y35bdhbl]
Reply/Quote
Why did Bernard average almost a full yard less than Mixon (3.2 to 4.1) if any RB in the league would have done what Mixon did behind our line?
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 05:30 PM)Okeana Wrote: so you basically used 3 roster spots to account for Mixon and this is a proof of concept?  Lets also not forget that mid way thru the season the steelers had a much higher ranking overall on their offensive line.  Cincinnati was pretty much considered the bottom 2 the entire season.  https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-offensive-line-rankings-week-8

The Bengals Rushing grade is directly affected by the success of Mixon who did it despise being behind a terrible offensive line.  So their rushing stats are actually inflated regardless of the fact that smith, hart, and jordan may be the worst graded rushing offensive lineman in the nfl.  

I don't care let the guy leave so I can laugh when he goes to a halfway decent team and becomes the best RB in the NFL.  If you think 10 million a year is too much for Mixon then I'm not going to try and convince you otherwise.

Sure, because most teams roster at least 3 HB's so spread the load and save the cash. I was using Football outsiders full season grade with adjusted averages for ranks but I'm sure I can go pull one from your week 8 offensive line rankings with a mid to late round drafted HB with as good or better YPC.

You keep saying 10 million a year but Bell got 13, he is going to want at least what Bell got. Derek Henry is about to get a pay day in Tennesse and I am sure that is what he is going to want. 
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 05:42 PM)Au165 Wrote: Sure, because most teams roster at least 3 HB's so spread the load and save the cash. I was using Football outsiders full season grade with adjusted averages for ranks but I'm sure I can go pull one from your week 8 offensive line rankings with a mid to late round drafted HB with as good or better YPC.

You keep saying 10 million a year but Bell got 13, he is going to want at least what Bell got. Derek Henry is about to get a pay day in Tennesse and I am sure that is what he is going to want. 

I think 10 or 11 mil is about right for Mixon on the market he's not the receiver that Bell is...I'd like to see them get it done this year if they do it that way they can spread the cap hit over an extra year. So it might be a 4 year 44 mil extention but spread over a 5 year period.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 05:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Why did Bernard average almost a full yard less than Mixon (3.2 to 4.1) if any RB in the league would have done what Mixon did behind our line?

It's a numbers game partially as he only had 20% of Mixon's touches and specifically only 23 touches came after we changed our blocking scheme. The same blocking scheme change that took Mixon from 3.2 YPC (Hey funny that's what Gio averaged) to his 4.1 average he ended with. Gio averaged 3.9 yards a carry down the back stretch under the new scheme so he saw improvement as well with the changes.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 05:46 PM)Synric Wrote: I think 10 or 11 mil is about right for Mixon on the market he's not the receiver that Bell is...I'd like to see them get it done this year if they do it that way they can spread the cap hit over an extra year. So it might be a 4 year 44 mil extention but spread over a 5 year period.

He doesn't have the baggage, work load or age that Bell had either. 13 Million is right in line with where he will want to be.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 05:48 PM)Au165 Wrote: He doesn't have the baggage, work load or age that Bell had either. 13 Million is right in line with where he will want to be.

I'm just saying what I would offer him and that would top at 11 and only this year as an extension. If he wants more let him try to find it somewhere else...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 05:34 PM)fredtoast Wrote: How can you feel like he can't "take it to the house" when he was second in the league in runs over 40 yards last year?

Are you saying there was only one RB in the league who could "take it to the house" in 2018?

Yeah, I don't know what some people are seeing out there.

I most definitely see a RB that can take it to the house on any given play in Mixon.

He can punish the Defender better than almost any other RB in the League too. Did people see him trucking Stains the 
other day? The Mixon has crazy wiggle, great vision, is extremely fast for a back his size and has great hands. Need to 
use him more in the passing game is my only complaint and that isn't his fault, that is coaching.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 04:55 PM)Au165 Wrote: Mixon has made comments that he believes he should be paid like a top back. If he wants to take a deal in the 10-12 range on a short term basis that is one thing, but I don't think he will. 

Wait, he wants to be paid like a top back but he also wants to be a Bengal for life?  Maybe he's dropping the burning desire to be here as a means to get the fan base on MB's arse to send him a blank check.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 05:52 PM)Synric Wrote: I'm just saying what I would offer him and that would top at 11 and only this year as an extension. If he wants more let him try to find it somewhere else...

I said earlier, if you can get him 10-12 over 3 with something like 35 paid over the first 2 I'd be okay with it I just don't see that happening. As to letting him see what's out there thats the problem. We have him signed through next year and he has essentially said he is holding out if he doesn't get extended so there is no seeing what else is out there.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 05:42 PM)Au165 Wrote: Sure, because most teams roster at least 3 HB's so spread the load and save the cash. I was using Football outsiders full season grade with adjusted averages for ranks but I'm sure I can go pull one from your week 8 offensive line rankings with a mid to late round drafted HB with as good or better YPC.

He's not going to make that kinda money.  He's not the best RB in the league and he's not going to demand to be the top paid guy unless he's just really really really dumb.  Just because Bell got extremely overpaid he had better production leading into his contract than Mixon so it's just not reasonable to think teams are going to pay that kinda price tag.  I mean we're talking about the jets here.  If he wants more than bell than you let him play out his contract and move on.  If we extend him before the year starts he has the potential to earn more money next year and secure his future all which needs to be accounted for when negotiating.  I think 10 million a year is a reasonable price all things considered and I think there is some wiggle room there in terms of slightly overpaying in the 11-12mil ballpark.  I can tell you what the 2021 FA RB class is going to be loaded with guys looking for lots of money so why wait if you value the talent.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 04:21 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I don't need to do the legwork, because that is my exact point. If you have to excuse a RB's performance because their OL wasn't good, then they're not a RB worth paying. The only RBs worth paying are ones that can transcend the lack of talent around them. Mixon is not one of those players.

There's no OL that has ever been graded enough to "allow" a RB to go for over 2,000 yards at 6.0 YPC... but Adrian Peterson did it anyway, with CHRISTIAN PONDER as his QB, coming off an ACL and MLC tear in Week 16 the season before.

They're not the same caliber of player. Don't pay sub-prime RBs.

- - - - - - - -

Plus it doesn't matter who your OL is. If you have 693 carries and 0 of them are 20+ yard TDs, that is telling something about the RB, not the blockers. You just don't have the vision or top end speed to break it.

So your position is that unless your RB is superman on steroids who can run through steam rollers with no help he's just not worth the asking price.. Well that makes perfect sense in a fantasy brain.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 05:47 PM)Au165 Wrote: It's a numbers game partially as he only had 20% of Mixon's touches and specifically only 23 touches came after we changed our blocking scheme. The same blocking scheme change that took Mixon from 3.2 YPC (Hey funny that's what Gio averaged) to his 4.1 average he ended with. Gio averaged 3.9 yards a carry down the back stretch under the new scheme so he saw improvement as well with the changes.

That is a lot of gibberish to say "The fact that Bernard was so much worse behind the same line proves that talent makes a big difference in run game production."

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 05:48 PM)Au165 Wrote: He doesn't have the baggage, work load or age that Bell had either. 13 Million is right in line with where he will want to be.

No team in the league is going to pay him anything close to $13 million a year.  I don't think he expects that much.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 03:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Mixon is good but he is not going to get paid like Bell, Zeke, or Gurley.

The 5th highest paid RB in the league last year (based on average yearly salary) made a little over $8 million.

He has one year left on his contract.
He will be 24 at the start of the next season.
So I'd give him a 5 year extension and give him 8-9 mil per year salary. That will make him a Bengal til he's 31.

He wants to be a Bengal for life, and I want him to be one for life.
Give him an OL to run behind and I bet he explodes and puts up Le'von Bell (Steeler days) numbers up.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 03:39 PM)Au165 Wrote: People aren't going to like this but paying HB's has not worked out well for teams the last couple years. It a position that just has too short of a life span to trust paying big money. If he'd take a short deal, let's say 3 years 42 Million with 35 of it over the first two years I'd consider it.

That's honestly about what I was thinking for him.  He's a good RB, but not an elite RB.  
Reply/Quote

Mixon ran a 4.45 forty yard dash at his Pro Day weighing 228 pounds.

That is moving pretty fast for a guy that size plus he has some shifty moves that can make tacklers miss.

Mixon is only 23 years old with his Prime years still ahead of him.
Reply/Quote