Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixon was great in pass protection yesterday
By my count he stonewalled 2 Bills that led to Burrow making great plays

Wanna say that was Mixon blocking in the deep ball to Boyd and the insane slant to Tee
-Housh
Reply/Quote
I wanted to be the first to respond to this thread. I have been pretty hard on Mixon all year. Excellent job the last 2 weeks.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
He’s been really good compared to his past in pass blocking.

This caused me to look this up: Burrow has been sacked 18 times (tied with several for 16th in NFL) so middle of the pack.

This comes against 5 of the top 10 pass rushing teams in terms of sacks, and with 6 games of a very immobile Joe. We have been begging for this for 4 years now. I think the O-line only gets better, if they stay healthy.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2023, 10:14 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: He’s been really good compared to his past in pass blocking.

This caused me to look this up: Burrow has been sacked 18 times (tied with several for 16th in NFL) so middle of the pack.

This comes against 5 of the top 10 pass rushing teams in terms of sacks, and with 6 games of a very immobile Joe. We have been begging for this for 4 years now. I think the O-line only gets better, if they stay healthy.

It’s pretty simple don’t you think? Like a lot of us have been saying. The offense, Burrow, and play calling sure looks better when theirs protection. The running needs to get better but the Mixon TD was a thing of beauty. They had 3 on 2 and Mixon was untouched
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(11-06-2023, 10:06 AM)Housh Wrote: By my count he stonewalled 2 Bills that led to Burrow making great plays

Wanna say that was Mixon blocking in the deep ball to Boyd and the insane slant to Tee

Had a really nice chip and release on a screen too. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-06-2023, 10:14 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: He’s been really good compared to his past in pass blocking.

4 games
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
It was nice to see Mixon hang around for the extra second, see the blitzes and pick them up.
Reply/Quote
Correction

The slant to Tee wasn’t a Mixon play and no RB blocked

Got mixed up
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2023, 10:42 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: 4 games

Joe was not mobile in ARZ or against Seattle. Not nearly the way he was after the bye.
Reply/Quote
I suspect Mixon was also lit a fire under his feet after we got a 4th RB.. (too bad he got IR'd) but I think the coaches are making it clear that "lazy" play will not be tolerated.
Reply/Quote
Mixon seems to be one of the forums whipping boys;

1. Volson
2. Mixon
3. Scott (ranked worst among starting safeties so deserved)
4. Sample

It is interesting as I think Mixon is a good RB. One thing we seem to ignore is ball security. I don't want to jinx Joe, but he one of the best RB's protecting the football. Fumbles kill drives and turnovers lose games.I

Sample's main role os to block. I believe he is the #1 TE blocking in football, it is not just our OL that protects Joey B. it is our TE's and RB's also. Nice to see Sample get a TD. His running is not pretty, but got it done last night.

I loved Volson's block on Hyde last night when Hyde was trying to push Mixon back. He also had a great block (double team) on the Mixon TD.

Scott helped create the Kincaid fumble. I think Scott is our weakest starter, but he made a play last night.

One last point on Mixon, he did what many would never do, he took a pay cut and then he has not pouted or played less hard. Joe runs hard, we need to respect that about him.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2023, 04:17 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Mixon seems to be one of the forums whipping boys;

1. Volson
2. Mixon
4. Sample

It is interesting as I think Mixon is a good RB. One thing we seem to ignore is ball security. I don't want to jinx Joe, but he one of the best RB's protecting the football. Fumbles kill drives and turnovers lose games.I

Sample's main role os to block. I believe he is the #1 TE blocking in football, it is not just our OL that protects Joey B. it is our TE's and RB's also. Nice to see Sample get a TD. His running is not pretty, but got it done last night.

I loved Volson's block on Hyde last night when Hyde was trying to push Mixon back. He also had a great block (double team) on the Mixon TD.

Scott helped create the Kincaid fumble. I think Scott is our weakest starter, but he made a play last night.

One last point on Mixon, he did what many would never do, he took a pay cut and then he has not pouted or played less hard. Joe runs hard, we need to respect that about him.

I'm very hard on Mixon. I think he is a replacement level player. However, there are a couple of things that he does very well which I find valuable and you mentioned one of them in this post.

1. Ball security
  2. Receiving
Mixon is about as sure handed of a running back as there is in the NFL. He has six fumbles on 1695 touches. That is honestly ABSURD and is certainly overlooked. He is also a talented receiver. It was a simple play, but I liked the first pass to Mixon last night where he split out wide and then flared into the flat into a screen looking set up. It ate up about eight yards and gave an easy second down. 
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2023, 04:28 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I'm very hard on Mixon. I think he is a replacement level player. However, there are a couple of things that he does very well which I find valuable and you mentioned one of them in this post.

1. Ball security
  2. Receiving
Mixon is about as sure handed of a running back as there is in the NFL. He has six fumbles on 1695 touches. That is honestly ABSURD and is certainly overlooked. He is also a talented receiver. It was a simple play, but I liked the first pass to Mixon last night where he split out wide and then flared into the flat into a screen looking set up. It ate up about eight yards and gave an easy second down. 

Zac mentioned in his podcast with Solomon Wilcots that Joe also wears down the secondary because he punishes them in their tackles. He said you can see late in the game them shying away. He says it helps the WR in that they get beat up.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(11-06-2023, 04:17 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Mixon seems to be one of the forums whipping boys;

1. Volson
2. Mixon
4. Sample

I've never been a critic of Mixon's play on the field. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-06-2023, 03:44 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Joe was not mobile in ARZ or against Seattle. Not nearly the way he was after the bye.

... Did you not watch the games?
https://www.bengals.com/video/joe-burrow-highlights-best-plays-bengals-cardinals-week-5-2023
https://www.nfl.com/videos/kevin-strong-drops-burrow-for-red-zone-sack

And it's not just moving around, it's planting on the back leg and driving off of it, that was a big issue.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I’ve been pretty hard on Mixon throughout his career here but this season he’s been blocking great and at least recently he’s been running angry kinda like Marian Barber use to. So I owe Mixon an apology.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2023, 04:45 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: ... Did you not watch the games?
https://www.bengals.com/video/joe-burrow-highlights-best-plays-bengals-cardinals-week-5-2023
https://www.nfl.com/videos/kevin-strong-drops-burrow-for-red-zone-sack

And it's not just moving around, it's planting on the back leg and driving off of it, that was a big issue.

Yes- I did. None of those looked anything like the Joe we saw the past 2 weeks.

There is a reason they never ran under center until after the bye. There is a reason they never ran a QB sneak until after the bye. There is a reason Burrow didn’t intentionally call his own number until after the bye.

Burrow from week 5-6 was more mobile than 1-4 but not nearly as mobile as week 8-9
Reply/Quote
I think he’s playing really good this year.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2023, 06:30 PM)TKUHL Wrote: I’ve been pretty hard on Mixon throughout his career here but this season he’s been blocking great and at least recently he’s been running angry kinda like Marian Barber use to. So I owe Mixon an apology.

His pockets are lighter so he's faster..... Wink
Reply/Quote
I noticed this too. Made a big difference in allowing plays to develop.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote