Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixon was great in pass protection yesterday
(11-06-2023, 06:30 PM)TKUHL Wrote: I’ve been pretty hard on Mixon throughout his career here but this season he’s been blocking great and at least recently he’s been running angry kinda like Marian Barber use to. So I owe Mixon an apology.

He is nothing like Marion Barber.

Mixon will have a run or two where he hits a guy hard (but that guy will still tackle him) and then he'll proceed to get tackled by his foot or an arm tackle at first contact the next 8 carries, plus one where he just falls down from bad balance. Mixon had 2.6 yards per carry on Sunday. He's at 3.9 on the year.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Gio must have given him some pointers in between his camera work.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-06-2023, 10:06 AM)Housh Wrote: By my count he stonewalled 2 Bills that led to Burrow making great plays

Wanna say that was Mixon blocking in the deep ball to Boyd and the insane slant to Tee

Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(11-07-2023, 08:32 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote:

Some of the blocks sans considers “pancakes” kind of crack me up. I always saw them as when you run over and flatten a guy. Not so much any time the defender winds up on the ground.

Reply/Quote
I was a little upset they didn't have more plays under center on Sunday. It works and they don't seem to stick with it.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2023, 10:13 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I wanted to be the first to respond to this thread. I have been pretty hard on Mixon all year. Excellent job the last 2 weeks.

Agree since the Bye week Mixon has looked good, but that begs to question why has he waited so long to get motivated. 

Hopefully he can keep it up. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2023, 07:58 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Agree since the Bye week Mixon has looked good, but that begs to question why has he waited so long to get motivated. 

Hopefully he can keep it up. 

Funny how that works. Mixon’s success is so closely aligned with the OL performance. Whether it be PFF,PFN, or 33rd team they’ve all discussed the improvement. Mixon is playing to keep his roster spot for next year. He didn’t just wake up after a few games and say I’d better get it in gear. Too funny. If you can’t see the better blocking especially his TD on Third Down where they double teamed the tackle and Orlando wrapped his guy up I can’t help some.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2023, 09:50 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Funny how that works. Mixon’s success is so closely aligned with the OL performance. Whether it be PFF,PFN, or 33rd team they’ve all discussed the improvement. Mixon is playing to keep his roster spot for next year. He didn’t just wake up after a few games and say I’d better get it in gear. Too funny. If you can’t see the better blocking especially his TD on Third Down where they double teamed the tackle and Orlando wrapped his guy up I can’t help some.

Yup

And what you don't see or just aren't willing to admit is that Mixon is just a touch above Joe average RB. Like as has been said he's all world at holding on to the football, which is something great! And he's a pretty good receiver, however:

He's only going to get what's blocked the vast majority of the time when running the ball. And he just doesn't have that top gear to shift into and turn 6 yard runs into 17. He doesn't have the speed to be effective on those outside toss plays. 

He's not even close to a game changer at running the ball. 
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2023, 10:14 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yup

And what you don't see or just aren't willing to admit is that Mixon is just a touch above Joe average RB. Like as has been said he's all world at holding on to the football, which is something great! And he's a pretty good receiver, however:

He's only going to get what's blocked the vast majority of the time when running the ball. And he just doesn't have that top gear to shift into and turn 6 yard runs into 17. He doesn't have the speed to be effective on those outside toss plays. 

He's not even close to a game changer at running the ball. 

I’m willing to admit he wasn’t worth what he was getting paid as several other top RB’s have learned. I think he’s an excellent receiver. I think he’s excellent at ball security. He’ll continue to prove his value and will continue to show what many of the experts are saying about him on the broadcasts. But no he’s not better than a top 15 back.

Reply/Quote
(11-07-2023, 10:43 PM)QueenCity Wrote: I was a little upset they didn't have more plays under center on Sunday. It works and they don't seem to stick with it.

I think it’s more, since it works you don’t do it a lot

In Madden if a play works really well against me you damn near can’t run that same exact play the rest of the game.
ATP the under center play action game is an unknown because we didn’t do it for so long. You run it let’s say 50% of the snaps and you erase your element of surprise.

The way our offense is currently playing you basically have to give up under center play actions because we are passing at an elite level and running at an average level. If those linebackers start trying to keep an eye on under center play actions Burrow and the WRs are going to utterly destroy their defense
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2023, 09:50 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Funny how that works. Mixon’s success is so closely aligned with the OL performance. Whether it be PFF,PFN, or 33rd team they’ve all discussed the improvement. Mixon is playing to keep his roster spot for next year. He didn’t just wake up after a few games and say I’d better get it in gear. Too funny. If you can’t see the better blocking especially his TD on Third Down where they double teamed the tackle and Orlando wrapped his guy up I can’t help some.

All last year i said Mixon was running well, there was just no blocking. The dancing is due to there being no good holes to get through. We see now that he’s still a great back.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2023, 11:54 AM)Housh Wrote: All last year i said Mixon was running well, there was just no blocking. The dancing is due to there being no good holes to get through. We see now that he’s still a great back.

As did the staff and why I was ridiculously adamant he’d be on the team and that they wouldn’t do much in the draft or FA. I caught a lot of heat

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2023, 10:35 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I’m willing to admit he wasn’t worth what he was getting paid as several other top RB’s have learned. I think he’s an excellent receiver. I think he’s excellent at ball security. He’ll continue to prove his value and will continue to show what many of the experts are saying about him on the broadcasts. But no he’s not better than a top 15 back.

Agree

If they can keep him next season at an even more reduced price. So be it

He's not awful, he's just not as you say a top shelf RB. And I'm not so sure we will even be after a top shelf RB down the road? If we luck into one, sweet!!
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2023, 12:37 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Agree

If they can keep him next season at an even more reduced price. So be it

He's not awful, he's just not as you say a top shelf RB. And I'm not so sure we will even be after a top shelf RB down the road? If we luck into one, sweet!!

No way you could get away with anything less than 6M per for THIS Mixon

Maybe he lets us go down to 5 but it would all have to be basically guaranteed for me to agree to that as Joe.

Maybe I’d go down to 4 id you give me 3 more years

All guaranteed
-Housh
Reply/Quote
I don't see the team using a Day 1 or 2 pick on a RB this year. Mixon could be uograded, sure, but he isn't a glaring weakness, either. Pass pro is better. He does not fumble. Good receiver. Super popular with the fans.

Personally, I'd love a bigger back who is better in short yardage (Estime, Allen, Sanders). A Perine replacement. Or a Chris Evans replacement with a jitterbug/explosive type. But with (likely) more pressing needs at OT & WR, TE, and CB/DT depth, and maybe a S upgrade, it is hard for me to justify a Day 2 RB pick. Now, Day 3 or a cheap FA acquisition? Sure.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2023, 10:06 AM)Housh Wrote: By my count he stonewalled 2 Bills that led to Burrow making great plays

Wanna say that was Mixon blocking in the deep ball to Boyd and the insane slant to Tee

This is great to hear, didn't notice him whiffing against the Bills which is good. I usually see him whiff once a game.
Reply/Quote

Should have been clearer that I was speaking of his blocking. I've seen him have good running games before, albeit the average ones do outweigh the good, but still it's no big surprise especially since like you said the O-line blocked so well . 
Yet him blocking well lately is something I had never really seen before, kudos to him. Hope he continues to do so, but odd he waited so long to block for Burrow when he obviously was perfectly capable of doing so all along. Oh well, as long as he continues to block then that is a huge step forward and that's a good thing for the Bengals. 
Actually that is what it boils down to really, the Bengals are all I care about per being a fan for over 50 years and not just jumping on this train. Not downing anybody for jumping on the bandwagon either though per I do the same with Louisville players around the league. No matter, the Bengals are always my primary focus. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote