Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mizzou
Unless I missed it, I am surprised I didn't see a thread.

I didn't hear most of the news until the President of the university system stepped down, but this is what I have gathered:

1. There have been some separate cases of racism around the university that appear unrelated.

2. Students thought the President of the whole university system should do more to address it

3. The football team and others protested, so the President stepped down.

This seems a little silly. I don't know if the President of the whole system needs to address every isolated incident on campus. If someone smeared a shit swastika in the bathroom of my dorms at college, maybe the president of student life at my school would address it, not the president of the Maryland university system.

I couldn't care less about this though, but then I saw this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRlRAyulN4o

The protesters made a camp on the quad and had a circle around it. Student journalists were trying to take photos and were being harassed. Apparently, these people have the right to not have their pictures taken in public spaces... and the right to not let others freely roam on a public space.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
There is a whole lotta people on that video who needs their tails kicked .

And the Asian dude and his mates aren't one of them.
The lady that got in dude's face and said he needed to back off of her personal space is hilarious and most likely a grad student od some sort.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

The old lady asking for some muscle was the best.

Nothing like a liberal to stomp on your rights.
Not sure what applies and what does not apply, in terms of rights. As far as I understand, when you sign the agreement to attend a University, you tacitly sign away some of your rights and freedoms, in accordance with the Student Handbook and University bylaws.

I find it quite ironic that the UM Football players took this case to a National stage, with their threat of strike, yet the other protesters want to claim a right to anonymity.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(11-09-2015, 09:47 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: The old lady asking for some muscle was the best.  

Nothing like a liberal to stomp on your rights.

To be fair: I don't see this as a liberal versus conservative issue (we have plenty of those). I just see this as a bunch of college kids that have a lot of growing up to do.

(11-09-2015, 09:49 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not sure what applies and what does not apply, in terms of rights.  As far as I understand, when you sign the agreement to attend a University, you tacitly sign away some of your rights and freedoms, in accordance with the Student Handbook and University bylaws.

I find it quite ironic that the UM Football players took this case to a National stage, with their threat of strike, yet the other protesters want to claim a right to anonymity.

If the football team wasn't 4-5 they wouldn't be threatening a strike. And it was only a small part of the team anyway.

They should hire the president back after the season.
(11-09-2015, 09:52 PM)bfine32 Wrote: To be fair: I don't see this as a liberal versus conservative issue (we have plenty of those). I just see this as a bunch of college kids that have a lot of growing up to do.

Agreed. But it's that hippie mindset of protesting that is annoying. I just was just being lazy and calling it Liberalism.
(11-09-2015, 09:54 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Agreed.   But it's that hippie mindset of protesting that is annoying.    I just was just being lazy and calling it Liberalism.

There's nothing inherently wrong about protesting. The issue is the fact that this group somehow gained a great deal of political capital and now have no clue how to use it. They're overreaching in their demands and are going to fail to capitalize on what few positive changes they may be able to enact.

They're in for a surprise if they believe that they can force the system to let them be a part of the hiring process or be a part of developing curricula. By attacking student media, you're going to jeopardize local support. Their political inexperience is on full display. They're in over their heads.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

You gotta wonder if any of this gets traction without the sports team's involvement.
One of the more ironic things of the situation was that ESPN stated Michael Sam was on hand to pledge his support to the protesters. Wasn't he on record stating how fair the institution was to him when they knew he was homosexual? Seems I recall him praising the institution for keeping it secret and treating him no differently.

(11-09-2015, 10:15 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: You gotta wonder if any of this gets traction without the sports team's involvement.

Ofc it doesn't. No one cares about this. They want their football team playing. And the football team wouldn't have thrown these people a bone had they been having a successful season.
(11-09-2015, 10:06 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: There's nothing inherently wrong about protesting. The issue is the fact that this group somehow gained a great deal of political capital and now have no clue how to use it. They're overreaching in their demands and are going to fail to capitalize on what few positive changes they may be able to enact.

They're in for a surprise if they believe that they can force the system to let them be a part of the hiring process or be a part of developing curricula. By attacking student media, you're going to jeopardize local support. Their political inexperience is on full display. They're in over their heads.

I can pretty much agree with everything you say here. I just get annoyed that these young people do not know how to protest. You can tell they have been raised by the rules for radicals crowd. None of them have lived any oppression yet they pretend they are experts in the matter.
(11-09-2015, 09:54 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Agreed.   But it's that hippie mindset of protesting that is annoying.    I just was just being lazy and calling it Liberalism.

Jesus Christ!  You're on here protesting the government more than anybody, you damn hippie!
Protest what you like, but when you decide public spaces are off limits, then you lose me. And the dude going on a hunger strike is a little over the top.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

I'm not really sure what exactly they wanted the president to do. Call the FBI and request an investigation? Encourage students to give information to the administration to catch the perpetrators? No idea. Seems that anything he would have done would have been more of a symbolic gesture than anything.

Also not sure what booting him accomplishes? Has it done anything to resolve racial tensions on campus? Hell, it may have even exacerbated things. I hand it to the players and other students for getting something done. It's a pretty impressive show of force on their part. In the end though, it seems that the campus is still divided and the issues that led to theses events still persist.
(11-09-2015, 09:17 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Unless I missed it, I am surprised I didn't see a thread.

I didn't hear most of the news until the President of the university system stepped down, but this is what I have gathered:

1. There have been some separate cases of racism around the university that appear unrelated.

2. Students thought the President of the whole university system should do more to address it

3. The football team and others protested, so the President stepped down.

This seems a little silly. I don't know if the President of the whole system needs to address every isolated incident on campus. If someone smeared a shit swastika in the bathroom of my dorms at college, maybe the president of student life at my school would address it, not the president of the Maryland university system.

I couldn't care less about this though, but then I saw this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRlRAyulN4o

The protesters made a camp on the quad and had a circle around it. Student journalists were trying to take photos and were being harassed. Apparently, these people have the right to not have their pictures taken in public spaces... and the right to not let others freely roam on a public space.

The demands they requested were silly and ineffective. There's no proof that the people who reportedly yelled slurs were students or even still attend Mizzou.
The poop swastika is pretty much typical drunk college stuff. Should have passed it off as avant garde art about how the swastika is literal shit. 

Then trying to physically ban the media....that's just stupid and childish. That should be the first flag that something isn't right with all of this. 
I get if there is a safety issue, pushing media back, but this is just stubborn children first finding out that crying a lot gets mommy and daddy to do whatever you want. Colleges starting making debate and controversial speech evil on campuses. They let students ban speakers they didn't like. They made certain opinions punishable. In doing so they have created a new breed of college idiot who thinks not being offended is a right and bad words are assault. This is essentially their own doing. 

PCU was a comedy movie, not a documentary. 
(11-09-2015, 10:31 PM)bfine32 Wrote: One of the more ironic things of the situation was that ESPN stated Michael Sam was on hand to pledge his support to the protesters. Wasn't he on record stating how fair the institution was to  him when they knew he was homosexual? Seems I recall him praising the institution for keeping it secret and treating him no differently.

But then they made fun of him because he is black  Ninja
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
(11-10-2015, 02:42 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Jesus Christ!  You're on here protesting the government more than anybody, you damn hippie!

Yes but I am not trying be physical with people or requesting some muscle to come in when people don't comply.
Angry Mob 1 .......Common Sense and Reasonable Expectations 0

Seriously requesting the President step down was a joke. Also as it had been pointed out, if the football team was 9-0 they wouldn't have said a word., notice the basketball team kept their mouths shut as they were just entering their season. This is just another example of fake outrage for the sake of wanting to be outraged.