Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Mo Eggar on Andy
(08-22-2015, 03:53 AM)Utts Wrote: We make you sick? You make me laugh. This is pro football not God and country. As if we owe unconditional loyalty to some multi millionaire that would without hesitation move on to another city/team for more money.  Get a grip.

You make good points, but I really do believe that ownership is a bit more loyal to Cincinnati and its fans than you suggest.

Loyalty to the owner is one thing, belief in the team is another.  Thanks for your post.   
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2015, 01:06 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Most on here will say you do not need to support a specific player to support your team.

I tend to agree with them. You can like a team and despise a player that is currently on it, or even a coach for that matter.

To say that not supporting Dalton or Lewis means that I do not support the team is absurd.

It's like saying that not supporting your girlfriends bad habits means you don't support the relationship.

It is possible to not support Andy Dalton and still be a Bengals fan.... is it constructive? well.... that is another question.

My contention would be that even if a player is not your favorite, he is still a part of the team - and the temptation to throw him under the bus is not constructive (or supportive of the team).  Not that there is anything wrong with breaking down ones play, that's not what I consider not being supportive.  I may disagree with what you say 'most' will say.  

Bottom line, I would say that whether you like them or not, you 'support' the player as it is part and parcel to 'supporting the team'.  Its part of what we know as taking the good with the bad, so to speak.  Which is something we all have to respect - in all things, really.    
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2015, 12:58 PM)FanStuckInIndy Wrote: As far as I was concerned, Mo Eggar did not represent the team he reported for in the way he should, and was therefore not qualified for the job, in my opinion.  He is still on the radio though, and this turnaround, to me, has him a lot closer to where he needs to be to keep my interest in his discussions on the Bengals.

Now if our QB, receivers and defense could just play the way I feel they should be playing so that I'll feel they are qualified to be NFL players.

Ninja
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2015, 08:05 PM)Bengalholic Wrote:
Hmm. there's a couple things about this OP that struck me. For one...you were never impressed by Egger's analysis of the Bengals, and didn't feel that he represented the team the way he should've. Hell, you didn't even think he was qualified for the job. But, now that he's said something that you wholeheartedly agree with...you've taken notice, and he's closer to where he needs to be? Where exactly does he need to be, other than giving his honest opinion, whether you agree with it or not? It really sounds like you want Mo to be an all-praising, tow the company line kinda guy...ala Hobson, or else he's not deserving of being on the air in your opinion. That's just not Egger's style.

Secondly, there are no "so-called" fans IMO. Either you're a fan or you're not. Honestly, who's going to invest/waste their time, energy, money, emotions, etc...just to be a "so-called" fan? Granted, there are different types of fans...positive, negative, blind homers, constant b-tchers, eternal optimists and permanently jaded. Some are diehard, some are more casual, some live and die with each game, some see it as just entertainment. But, they are ALL fans...each in their own way, expressed in their own way. Whether they drool over a player or can't stand a player...it's their choice and their opinion.

I don't mean to go on a rant here, but I can't stand seeing people telling other people what a "true fan" is supposed to be...or even worse, that you're not a true fan 'if you're not like me'. Hell, I get sick of both extremes...the uber-homers and the hyper-critical's. But, you'll never see me telling them they're "not a real fan" because that's bullshit. I've been a fan of this team for 30 years. I'll praise what I think it's deserved, and I'll b-tch about something if I think it needs criticized. Two people can have completely different views about their team, the players, coaches, etc...and still be equally devoted fans.

Ugh, this whole 'fan' thing has always rubbed me the wrong way. Oh well, I just popped the 1st Sam Adams of the night...so it's all good!  LOL

Damn fine post Holic. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2015, 01:25 PM)JungleGal50 Wrote: "Wanting" our team to win.....and "Believing" they will win are two entirely different mindsets.  I can't think of ANY fan that doesn't WANT the team to win and hopes for it every week.....but I can think of several (including myself)  that don't BELIEVE they will depending on the opponent we are playing that week.    Now before you go accusing us of NOT being fans.....think about.  Do you have them going 16-0 this year.....and every year??  If not.....then you don't Believe they are going to win EVERY week either.   It's just being realistic.  

As far as Andy Dalton is concerned.....I believe you can be a Bengals fan and not be thrilled about the QB...or any other player for that matter.  After all.....the fans don't chose the players.....and we have weathered some DOOZIES.  What exactly is the alternative?  Jumping ship and becoming a fan of some other team??

Yep. I don't believe in Dalton. I root for him though cuz he's in stripes.
Being a Bengals fan is like being in love with a narcissist.  It's a brutal, emotionally abusive relationship but I never leave and just keep making excuses for them.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2015, 01:58 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: So I guess I can't be a fan of the team if I am critical of our mediocre QB.

Gotchya.

sounds like it  Smirk
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
People who rag on Andy infuriate me. Sure we all would want Payton, Brady or Brees, but these QBs had very good teams around them. Andy has taken this team all four years to the playoffs. They haven't won and the team, as a whole, played like crap. The same statement can be said with Carson at the helm also. I remember a couple of playoff games the O-line played like garbage. The Jets playoff game with Carson is a great example. Andy has won huge season games for this team and there is no doubt in my mind this team will win in the playoffs this year as long as the team stays healthy and the line plays up to its potential. Look, we could be the Browns and many of you who constantly rag on Andy should look north. Remember, the Evil I know is better than the Evil I don't know.
Reply/Quote
I support Andy Dalton and want him to be the best QB to ever live on this planet but I still have the right to criticize him and I'm not gonna sugarcoat shit. Hopefully this year he finally has his breakthrough and wins us a SUPER BOWL
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2015, 07:22 PM)Bronxbengal Wrote: People who rag on Andy infuriate me.  Sure we all would want Payton, Brady or Brees, but these QBs had very good teams around them.  Andy has taken this team all four years to the playoffs.  They haven't won and the team, as a whole, played like crap.  The same statement can be said with Carson at the helm also.  I remember a couple of playoff games the O-line played like garbage.  The Jets playoff game with Carson is a great example.  Andy has won huge season games for this team and there is no doubt in my mind this team will win in the playoffs this year as long as the team stays healthy and the line plays up to its potential.  Look, we could be the Browns and many of you who constantly rag on Andy should look north.  Remember, the Evil I know is better than the Evil I don't know.

I agree with a lot of this, except I won't let people ragging on Andy infuriate me.  It is when they rag on me for being positive about him that I don't understand.  It is as though they have permanently "checked out" on Dalton and they slam any and every person that supports him as our QB.

He has a game like the Primetime game against Cleveland once in a season and they have enough hate and anger to last them for years.  If you say something like "it is a team sport", or "the defense played poorly as well", you are chastised for "making excuses for Dalton".  I don't trumpet him as the sole reason they win any games so I don't subscribe to killing him for any loss. 

And it always seems to come back to the playoff losses.  Ok, well, if you are going to be honest with yourself, Dalton didn't play poorly in the last two games.  He didn't.  He had a terrible turnover against the Chargers that never should have happened, but he also threw for over 300 yards and had them in place to win that game if Bernard didn't fumble at the 5 yard line. The Colts game, if you watch it again, showed Dalton fitting the ball in to VERY narrow windows.  I thought he played very well. 

The first two playoff games, he struggled.  He looked inexperienced.  He looked lost.  And I get that.  I was so glad they even MADE the playoffs his first season.  (And not because I put $10 on them to win the Super Bowl at 1,000,000 to 1).  It was a great experience for them and they could learn a great deal from it.  I was more disappointed with the second performance than any other.  The "Gresham-first" game plan was moronic.  But Andy didn't show any improvement from post season game 1 to game 2.  He did play better the next two playoff games.  Lumping his four playoff performances together and saying "he sucks in the playoffs" isn't accurate.  If you want to say he sucked in the first two, fine. 

Instead of whining about the four losses in the postseason, I choose to be so excited about the pieces that he has this season:  a running game, depth at WR, a great new (one game doesn't count)  option at TE.  I can't wait to see how this season goes.  My belief is that they will win the division, get their first playoff win, and with that 600-lb gorilla off their back, make a run to the Super Bowl. 

Who-Dey!
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2015, 09:13 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Instead of whining about the four losses in the postseason, I choose to be so excited about the pieces that he has this season:  a running game, depth at WR, a great new (one game doesn't count)  option at TE.

You do know that Tyler Eifert has played an entire season in Cincinnati already, right?
Reply/Quote
Another Dalton thread!!!!! yay! I love these.
Reply/Quote
Its good to see change of pace threads like this one.

I was getting tired about the endless debate about reversing the colors on the helmet......

Good to see Andy finally getting some run......

Ninja
Reply/Quote
This thread is like a breath of fresh air.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2015, 09:49 AM)djs7685 Wrote: You do know that Tyler Eifert has played an entire season in Cincinnati already, right?

I'm not sure why, but a lot of people don't seem to remember this.

Eifert had a healthy and productive rookie season.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2015, 02:38 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'm not sure why, but a lot of people don't seem to remember this.

Eifert had a healthy and productive rookie season.

He did, but the Bengals also had a lot invested in Gresham and gave him a good number of targets as well.  Hue's offense (at least for a quarter last year and in Oakland) uses the TE quite a bit. 

I'm looking at it as Andy's first year of having a true receiving TE and a great running game at the same time. 
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2015, 12:50 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Ken Broo and Mo Egger are the two best guys in this town for sports.  Lance is good if you like hearing about Hostess cupcakes, his kids and Reds talk 95% of the time.

I agree about Lance. I used iHeart to listen to his show that was supposed to be about the Bengals and he talked Bengals for about 10 minutes in an hour. I follow him on Twitter and you can't seem criticize any sports teams in Cincinnati without him questioning your fanhood.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2015, 09:13 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I agree with a lot of this, except I won't let people ragging on Andy infuriate me.  It is when they rag on me for being positive about him that I don't understand.  It is as though they have permanently "checked out" on Dalton and they slam any and every person that supports him as our QB.

He has a game like the Primetime game against Cleveland once in a season and they have enough hate and anger to last them for years.  If you say something like "it is a team sport", or "the defense played poorly as well", you are chastised for "making excuses for Dalton".  I don't trumpet him as the sole reason they win any games so I don't subscribe to killing him for any loss. 

And it always seems to come back to the playoff losses.  Ok, well, if you are going to be honest with yourself, Dalton didn't play poorly in the last two games.  He didn't.  He had a terrible turnover against the Chargers that never should have happened, but he also threw for over 300 yards and had them in place to win that game if Bernard didn't fumble at the 5 yard line. The Colts game, if you watch it again, showed Dalton fitting the ball in to VERY narrow windows.  I thought he played very well. 

The first two playoff games, he struggled.  He looked inexperienced.  He looked lost.  And I get that.  I was so glad they even MADE the playoffs his first season.  (And not because I put $10 on them to win the Super Bowl at 1,000,000 to 1).  It was a great experience for them and they could learn a great deal from it.  I was more disappointed with the second performance than any other.  The "Gresham-first" game plan was moronic.  But Andy didn't show any improvement from post season game 1 to game 2.  He did play better the next two playoff games.  Lumping his four playoff performances together and saying "he sucks in the playoffs" isn't accurate.  If you want to say he sucked in the first two, fine. 

Instead of whining about the four losses in the postseason, I choose to be so excited about the pieces that he has this season:  a running game, depth at WR, a great new (one game doesn't count)  option at TE.  I can't wait to see how this season goes.  My belief is that they will win the division, get their first playoff win, and with that 600-lb gorilla off their back, make a run to the Super Bowl. 

Who-Dey!
Me too!
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2015, 12:50 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Mo Egger plays it pretty close to the middle IMO.  And, if anything, I think he's more forgiving than he needs to be at times.  

This city's media, and especially WLW, are MUCH, MUCH easier on the home town team than you would find from some of their counterparts that are employed in bigger cities.  And I get that, 700 has a relationship with the team and is invested in their success.  It only makes sense to not have a Greg Doyle type of personality in these roles.  And fwiw, I've heard people even call Lance a hater, which is borderline insane.  Lance is about the biggest homer you're ever going to find in local radio.  Hell, 1530 is called HOMER!!!

Look, I hate to break it to you, but if think Mo is unfair or negative then you don't want a sports talk host, you want a cheerleader.  I'm really not sure you could ask for much of a fair, unbiased take.  I think he does a great job being open to both the good and band, and even better job articulating why he feels whatever he does.

Ken Broo and Mo Egger are the two best guys in this town for sports.  Lance is good if you like hearing about Hostess cupcakes, his kids and Reds talk 95% of the time.

I haven't listened to Lance is a few years and this is spot on. I still remember him talking about microwaving hostess pies and putting a scoop of ice cream on it. He talked about that stuff all the time.

The media in Cincy is soft. Can you imagine how dude's like Mike Brown, Marvin, Hue, Guenther, Dalton, Peko, etc would fare in New York or Philly? LOL
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2015, 01:56 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I haven't listened to Lance is a few years and this is spot on. I still remember him talking about microwaving hostess pies and putting a scoop of ice cream on it. He talked about that stuff all the time.

The media in Cincy is soft. Can you imagine how dude's like Mike Brown, Marvin, Hue, Guenther, Dalton, Peko, etc would fare in New York or Philly? LOL

Games would actually have pitchforks and torches.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote