Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mo Egger: I want the Bengals to look, sound, and play like the Steelers
I want the Bengals to use whatever performance enhancing drug it is the steelers use.
Reply/Quote
A little hard over on the P.E.D. comment!
Happy Halloween
Reply/Quote
Nah, personally I really do hate the Steelers for the dirty way they play. It's not jealousy, it truly is just that I think they're a scummy classless organization that intentionally tries to get an edge on opponents by taking cheap shots. Not only do these cheap shots intimidate opposing players, they also have the added bonus of occasionally taking out a key player or two.

This style of play was glorified in the 70's and 80's, but it's not how the game was designed to be played. It's an unfair advantage to bend the rules on "physical" play to get an advantage, yet the Steelers instill this mentality into every player they draft, and the league just kind of looks the other way and allows it to continue "cuz Steelers".

I like that Burfict has punched the bully back, but an ideal league for me wouldn't have any teams like the Steelers.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2017, 07:12 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I just used the o-line as an example, as the Bengals clearly failed on improving the o-line going into this last season. Point was the Steelers have a superior front office than the Bengals when it comes to off-season moves from drafts to free agency. 

Not buying that one at all. 

They don't go out and sign big time free agents and their draft record is similar to the Bengals.  The only difference is that they hit on a franchise QB and he carries them.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2017, 05:17 PM)samhain Wrote: C'mon guys!  We ARE just like the Steelers.  Jesus.  Have you all forgotten the "Model Model" masterpieces that Hobson churns out every time he needs to explain the Bengals impending possum impression in external FA?

Don't be silly. Model model was only meant to explain the Bengals cheapness in FA build through the draft approach.

Being like the Steelers doesn't include hiring more scouts, having your own top notch practice facility, etc.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2017, 11:47 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Not buying that one at all. 

They don't go out and sign big time free agents and their draft record is similar to the Bengals.  The only difference is that they hit on a franchise QB and he carries them.

We needed a G and passed on the consensus top G in the draft. Because we out smarted everybody and keep letting Paul Alexander pick his guys. Only that consensus top G in the draft is an All Pro world beater that now plays for the Steelers. While we are debating whether the guy we drafted is worth paying market value. 
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2017, 12:37 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: We needed a G and passed on the consensus top G in the draft. Because we out smarted everybody and keep letting Paul Alexander pick his guys. Only that consensus top G in the draft is an All Pro world beater that now plays for the Steelers. While we are debating whether the guy we drafted is worth paying market value. 

We would be debating whether or not to pay DeCastro if he was here as well.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2017, 12:41 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: We would be debating whether or not to pay DeCastro if he was here as well.

True. But Mike Brown would probably be more open to paying arguably the best G in the league.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2017, 09:57 PM)Passepartout Wrote: A little hard over on the P.E.D. comment!

When I see Bell transform his body and come back multiple times from major injury. Deangelo williams come back from the dead. Villanueva gain 100lbs. James Harrison and his text book roid enlarged head. The career trajectory/physical appearance of Zeitler compared to Decastro. The overall massiveness of their lines. Recovery times from injuries. Etc..

Some of the best get away with it for awhile. Like lance armstrong and barry bonds. Probably helps that the steelers are the commissioners team. 
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2017, 01:03 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: When I see Bell transform his body and come back multiple times from major injury. Deangelo williams come back from the dead. Villanueva gain 100lbs. James Harrison and his text book roid enlarged head. The career trajectory/physical appearance of Zeitler compared to Decastro. The overall massiveness of their lines. Recovery times from injuries. Etc..
No
Some of the best get away with it for awhile. Like lance armstrong and barry bonds. Probably helps that the steelers are the commissioners team. 

If it makes you feel better, heavy steroid users end up with tiny testicles when they stop using.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2017, 11:47 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Not buying that one at all. 

That's hardly all of it.

Brown. 6th round
Villanueva.  UDFA
Bell.  Drafted after Bernard
Williams.  FA signee
DeCastro.  Drafted after Bengals did not select and traded down.
Boswell.  Signed quickly after other kicker underachieved
Cockrell. Waived by Buffalo
Their whole secondary is made up of cast offs and mid-late rounders.  
Starting TE has been out for all but 2-3 games, and they still get production.
Hell even Cobi Hamilton, the old Bengals board hero has been productive there.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2017, 12:37 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: We needed a G and passed on the consensus top G in the draft. Because we out smarted everybody and keep letting Paul Alexander pick his guys. Only that consensus top G in the draft is an All Pro world beater that now plays for the Steelers. While we are debating whether the guy we drafted is worth paying market value. 

Mike Munchak >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Piano Man
Todd Haley     >>>>>>>>>>>>>>Zampese
Through 2023

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2017, 11:51 PM)DShake n Blake Wrote: Don't be silly. Model model was only meant to explain the Bengals cheapness in FA build through the draft approach.

Being like the Steelers doesn't include hiring more scouts, having your own top notch practice facility, etc.

Scouts cost money.  So does Gatorade.  And a practice facility?  Why purchase one when you can mooch off the public university or an indoor soccer field 45 minutes away?  Mike Brown didn't become a billionaire by providing the players with an environment similar to 31 other teams. 
Through 2023

Reply/Quote
The only thing from that OP I agree with is wishing we had a coach who acted like he wasn't afraid to lose. That's all I'm willing to say positive about Tomlin or that team. **** the Steelers!

Reply/Quote
Take Big Ben out of the lineup and Steelers become very ORDINARY. That's not opinion but on the field factual observation.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2017, 04:47 PM)Millhouse Wrote: He left out wanting the Bengals front office to look like the Steelers front office, which currently is the biggest achilles heel of the organization. Steelers invested over $100 million in their o-line. Bengals, lol yeah.
Ditto !
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2017, 04:35 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The only thing from that OP I agree with is wishing we had a coach who acted like he wasn't afraid to lose. That's all I'm willing to say positive about Tomlin or that team. **** the Steelers!

Absolutely...that's was the only thing I took from the article. 

I think in terms of physical toughness, edge - whatever you want to call it - on Defense we've certainly changed and are similar to steelers...obviously there are pros/cons to that depending on your view on incidents such as Burfict/Jones penalties and fines.

But that attitude from the HC is so important. Marvin is pretty conservative in roster and game management..makes us a very stable organization but in crunch times it feels like we're playing not too lose rather than win.  

After so long with Marvin I'd quite like a HC with a bit of aggression, swagger.   Or too put it another way my personal preference woul dbe for a Hue Jackson type rather than a Jon Gruden type as next HC
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2017, 04:02 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We're labelled an outlaw because a lot of our hits aren't physical...they're illegal. Burfict had the same calls against him at Arizona State and even in high school:

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/12/18/13351854/vontaze-burfict-history-cincinnati-bengals-asu-personal-fouls

Davis for the Steelers got flagged for helmet to helmet. Dupris did last week when he hit the QB. The personal fouls on defense aren't something that only gets called against the Bengals.

I disagree.  Not with your point that the Bengals get flagged, but that the steelers usually also get flagged.  Mike Mitchell wasn't flagged when he concussed Eifert earlier in that season and Shazier wasn't flagged when he assbagged Gio.  And it isn't so much the flags, or lack thereof, but the crap like DeBagCastro getting away with late hits, a pile stomp, etc. when Burfict gets a three game suspension.  

Burfict's hit on Bell was tame compared to the two I listed, and ditto the ones of Chris Conley and Matt Moore.  So, if you claim prior history with Burfict, I have now given you history of Mike Mitchell, and DeBagCastro....will they get a suspension next year for their next dirty action?  Nope.  There is a huge double standard here, and it isn't just Bengals fans that see it.

As far as Mo's message, I would rather my team play like the Packers or Patriots:  They outsmart you and they play to win with execution, not by executing the other team.  
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2017, 03:58 AM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Mike Munchak >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Piano Man
Todd Haley     >>>>>>>>>>>>>>Zampese

THIS + Steelers Front Office>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Bengals Front Office
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2017, 03:52 AM)t3r3e3 Wrote: That's hardly all of it.

Brown. 6th round - Yeah. Steal of the draft. Brown would be good regardless who his QB is.
Villanueva.  UDFA - Let's not forget that he credited the Bengals with him being a football player now. Jay Hayes told him to contact him when he was finished with his military service. Bengals had their opportunity with him but let him go. He goes to the Steelers and gets coached up and is now a quality OT. Way ahead of our 1st round bust.
Bell.  Drafted after Bernard - It was a crapshoot with Bernard, Bell and Lacy. I think if the Steelers got Bernard, he would be almost as good. Bell is an idiot, but he has been coached up well and is a future Hall of Famer.
Williams.  FA signee - Smart signing and one that was very under the radar. Once again, great front office work.
DeCastro.  Drafted after Bengals did not select and traded down. - I don't think that DeCastro is that much better than Zeitler.
Boswell.  Signed quickly after other kicker underachieved - Amazing how the Steelers never had kicking issues very long, huh?
Cockrell. Waived by Buffalo - He's not that good to be honest with you. He was solid at Duke (and a local boy from where I live now in NC)
Their whole secondary is made up of cast offs and mid-late rounders. - Their secondary isn't that great and has been carved up. Their front 7 helps cover up their deficiencies.
Starting TE has been out for all but 2-3 games, and they still get production. - Lot's of weapons at RB and WR will let your TE's get opportunities.
Hell even Cobi Hamilton, the old Bengals board hero has been productive there. - Yeah. Sort of painful watching him have success there. That said, I think it's a function of having Roethlisberger as your QB. Hamilton would be a #4 receiver here.
Reply/Quote