Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New HC
I seem to be a little confused. Some of the chatter on this forum concerns a new head coach. With that being said,my confusion kicks in when I hear some say, " If the new HC would just win a playoff game,we would be happy",then on the other side of the coin I hear "We need to win a SB nothing more, nothing less"  IF we get a new HC don't we give the new HC a grace period (1) year to turn the ship ship around and get smooth sailing? Just askin!
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2017, 07:03 PM)firstand10 Wrote: I seem to be a little confused. Some of the chatter on this forum concerns a new head coach. With that being said,my confusion kicks in when I hear some say, " If the new HC would just win a playoff game,we would be happy",then on the other side of the coin I hear "We need to win a SB nothing more, nothing less"  IF we get a new HC don't we give the new HC a grace period (1) year to turn the ship ship around and get smooth sailing? Just askin!

Talking End game...     Not to many people expect us to turn around straight into a superbowl...  but a winning season to the playoffs is a great step.. We have most of the talent. so who knows... Worse teams have had some amazing turn arounds
Reply/Quote
Here’s the problem. This team is a mess. So you fix the OL, you still have a questionable issue with QB, corner and a defense that seemingly is backsliding into mediocrity. Gio made the RB corps look good the last few games, but seriously, he hasn’t looked great since the hit playing Pittsburgh in Jan, 2016. So our RB, although not a major concern, leave some questions. Play calling has been horrible and TBH, some of the schemes don’t work. So we need help there. Maybe a new play book. Of course this thread is about coaching, so we all know that needs addressed and not many of us are confident, regardless of what we've heard, that the issue there will be addressed. You can add special teams to the list as well.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Harley Dog you're right! This team is about as screwed up as a Japanese weather report. What has transpired over 50 years with this team is short of total reasoning! The team in 50 years of existence has not played any better now than when it started. That's hard to imagine! The only reason this team is sent onto the filed is so that MB can continue to line his pockets!
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2017, 07:09 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Talking End game...     Not to many people expect us to turn around straight into a superbowl...  but a winning season to the playoffs is a great step.. We have most of the talent. so who knows... Worse teams have had some amazing turn arounds

Agreed.

I disagree with you Harley on this team being a mess. Good coaching can change everything you spoke of.

For heck sake Marv and PA mailed in the last two seasons and we still won 6 games with this mess.

We should of been closer to the Browns in games won with how inept these bastids have been.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2017, 11:16 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Here’s the problem. This team is a mess. So you fix the OL, you still have a questionable issue with QB, corner and a defense that seemingly is backsliding into mediocrity. Gio made the RB corps look good the last few games, but seriously, he hasn’t looked great since the hit playing Pittsburgh in Jan, 2016. So our RB, although not a major concern, leave some questions. Play calling has been horrible and TBH, some of the schemes don’t work. So we need help there. Maybe a new play book. Of course this thread is about coaching, so we all know that needs addressed and not many of us are confident, regardless of what we've heard, that the issue there will be addressed. You can add special teams to the list as well.

I honestly don't see anything wrong with this team that smart coaching, and some wise personnel decision making won't cure.

On Defense, things aren't as dire as you might believe.  Adding a serious, high quality LB to pair with Burfict, would change the entire complexion of the defense.  Sure the secondary has looked lackluster, for the second year in a row, but I attribute that to Kevin Coyle not getting the job done coaching.  He is alright with CBs, but he appears to be clueless with the Safeties, as evidenced by our Safeties staring at each other in disbelief when a play is given up.  They know that one of them should have been there, but didn't have the proper coaching to be there.  Our DL/pass rush is perfectly fine, the back end needs to be brought up to par.

On Offense, the OL is the key.  You could have put Aaron Rodgers on this team and ended up with the same result as Green Bay did this year, out with a broken collar bone.  You could have had Zeke Elliot in the backfield, and he would have looked like a bumbling idiot.  Again, I have to refer to coaching.  You can't bring as many fresh OL bodies into camp each year and not come up with some winners, unless your coaching isn't getting the job done.

Now, how much of my perceived coaching problem is a factor of the Management?  We don't know.  Did Marvin have control of firing/hiring assistant coaches?  I don't know, do you?  Now, if Marvin DID have control to hire/fire assistants, then he certainly was part of the problem.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2017, 08:55 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I honestly don't see anything wrong with this team that smart coaching, and some wise personnel decision making won't cure.

Correct, this team is nowhere near a mess. All we need is a couple of good offensive linemen, a good coverage LB, and a better Free Safety. D line is sound, Corners are sound, QB is top 15, we have the #2 or 3 receiver in the league (though the rest could use some seasoning)....and we have good running backs.
Reply/Quote