Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mo Egger: The Biggest What-Ifs Of The Marvin Lewis Era
https://espn1530.iheart.com/featured/mo-egger/content/2017-12-24-blog-of-football-guesses-the-biggest-what-ifs-of-the-marvin-lewis-era/

Not for the faint of heart, because this is bound to bring up some painful memories. Mo brings up a lot of the obvious what-ifs: Carson's knee, the 2005 draft class, Chris Henry, etc. We were so close so many times it makes me sick  Sick

One thing I definitely agree with Mo on is that the final three games 2006 were a more sickening choke job than the 2015 wild card playoff loss. The Christmas Eve botch XP in Denver, Shayne Graham shanking (and laughing  Whatever ) the game winning field goal, then the long TD pass given up in OT... A sign of things to come in the Marvin Lewis era for sure.

As sad as it is, the Marvin Lewis era will be mostly known for one thing: countless missed opportunities.  
Reply/Quote
Not sure how he missed the "What if Andy Dalton doesn't break his thumb?" scenario... to me that is a big one.
Reply/Quote
You can't really blame Palmers knee on Marvin nor missed kicks or Chris Henry's death, etc.,etc...
He's done some dumb things, but those aren't among them.. What if Mike Brown had packed up the team and moved it back when there were Mike Brown sucks billboards around town? What if Paul Brown had stayed healthy another 20 years and kept coaching? What if Johnny Cueto had been a QB instead of a pitcher?  Fun to play what if, huh?
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
You could also add what if Odom doesn't tear his Achilles in 09 along with Chris Henry breaking his arm that year as well.
At of all those things that he mentioned I would say the 05 draft class was the biggest blow. We missed out on 5 players Fannene and Perry we're going to be capable starters on our team. Henry, Thurman, and Pollack were all destined for superstardom before they got hurt or addicted to meth.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 06:06 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: https://espn1530.iheart.com/featured/mo-egger/content/2017-12-24-blog-of-football-guesses-the-biggest-what-ifs-of-the-marvin-lewis-era/

Not for the faint of heart, because this is bound to bring up some painful memories. Mo brings up a lot of the obvious what-ifs: Carson's knee, the 2005 draft class, Chris Henry, etc. We were so close so many times it makes me sick  Sick

One thing I definitely agree with Mo on is that the final three games 2006 were a more sickening choke job than the 2015 wild card playoff loss. The Christmas Eve botch XP in Denver, Shayne Graham shanking (and laughing  Whatever ) the game winning field goal, then the long TD pass given up in OT... A sign of things to come in the Marvin Lewis era for sure.

As sad as it is, the Marvin Lewis era will be mostly known for one thing: countless missed opportunities.  

There is an article in today's CJ that lists the 11 most memorable achievements of the Marvin Lewis era. Of course that spans 15 seasons. Smirk
Reply/Quote
There's nothing like a walk down memory lane. Why is it that when you do so with this team, it so often involves a swift kick in the 'nads?

What always bugged me about the 2005 season was what led up to the playoff game. We were 11-3 with a crap Buffalo team at home and a road game against a mediocre KC team remaining, and we lost both of them. If we win those we get a bye, Pittsburgh has to go to Denver(I think), and Carson's injury never happens.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 07:49 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: There's nothing like a walk down memory lane.  Why is it that when you do so with this team, it so often involves a swift kick in the 'nads?

What always bugged me about the 2005 season was what led up to the playoff game.  We were 11-3 with a crap Buffalo team at home and a road game against a mediocre KC team remaining, and we lost both of them.  If we win those we get a bye, Pittsburgh has to go to Denver(I think), and Carson's injury never happens.

Two more cases of Marvy NOT having his team ready and NOT making adjustments.
Don't let the screen door...!
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 07:49 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: There's nothing like a walk down memory lane.  Why is it that when you do so with this team, it so often involves a swift kick in the 'nads?

What always bugged me about the 2005 season was what led up to the playoff game.  We were 11-3 with a crap Buffalo team at home and a road game against a mediocre KC team remaining, and we lost both of them.  If we win those we get a bye, Pittsburgh has to go to Denver(I think), and Carson's injury never happens.

Because that's our history.  It's written in our DNA.

We are a maddening combination of horrible luck and bad decisions.  When the right decisions are made and things are seemingly in place, fate steps in and pisses on the fire. 

We defy logic.  We defy nature.  We are the broken clock that isn't right twice a day, the blind squirrel that doesn't find the nut.  Kicked when we're down, kicked when we're up.  We can't trust the good times because we have been there before and we know what is coming.

If you put this history into a work of fiction, it would scoffed at for being beyond belief.

What Bengal fan truly believes the Bengals will ever win a SB?   And yet, here we are and here we'll stay.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2017, 12:28 AM)McC Wrote: Because that's our history.  It's written in our DNA.

We are a maddening combination of horrible luck and bad decisions.  When the right decisions are made and things are seemingly in place, fate steps in and pisses on the fire. 

We defy logic.  We defy nature.  We are the broken clock that isn't right twice a day, the blind squirrel that doesn't find the nut.  Kicked when we're down, kicked when we're up.  We can't trust the good times because we have been there before and we know what is coming.

If you put this history into a work of fiction, it would scoffed at for being beyond belief.

What Bengal fan truly believes the Bengals will ever win a SB?   And yet, here we are and here we'll stay.

Because if and when it ever happens, it will be that much sweeter.

Look at the insane jubilation we saw the Red Sox fans in 2004, Cavs and Cubs fans in 2016. That will hopefully be us one day  Cool
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 06:06 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: https://espn1530.iheart.com/featured/mo-egger/content/2017-12-24-blog-of-football-guesses-the-biggest-what-ifs-of-the-marvin-lewis-era/

I have never forgotten the Shayne shank.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2017, 01:53 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Because if and when it ever happens, it will be that much sweeter.

Look at the insane jubilation we saw the Red Sox fans in 2004, Cavs and Cubs fans in 2016. That will hopefully be us one day  Cool

Only after they move to London.

Probably will win Super Bowl in the first year.

That would fit GODell's narrative.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 06:27 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Not sure how he missed the "What if Andy Dalton doesn't break his thumb?" scenario... to me that is a big one.

They couldn't score a single TD against an overrated Texans team and lost 13-9  at home on Monday Night football... which would have secured a 1st round bye, by the way. The 2015 Bengals were really good, but fading down the stretch and failed big tests after the streak ended. AD's thumb or not, I don't think they were actually THAT good. They had an amazingly easy schedule that was spread out in terms of tough opponents and seeing them home/away.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 06:27 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Not sure how he missed the "What if Andy Dalton doesn't break his thumb?" scenario... to me that is a big one.

Yes and I believe it is bigger than Palmers knee.

If Palmer doesn't have his knee injury, I think the Bengals could have gone deep into the playoffs, even to the AFC Championship game. But with Dalton's thumb injury, it destroyed the Bengals chance at glory...that ever elusive Super Bowl victory even with Marvin Lewis as head coach.

I do truly believe that. 

Oh well, it's rebuild time and in five to seven years maybe we are celebrating.
Reply/Quote