Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mock 2.0 The Dirty Dozen
Why the Dirty Dozen, you might ask?

Because the Bengals field a call from Buffalo, while on the clock at #12, and accept the Bills' offer for #21 and #55 in exchange. This was not a simulator draft. I used Mayock's grading and draft profiles to evaluate, and tried to stick as close to his round predictions as possible.

Resulting in, The Dirty Dozen

#21 Mike McGlinchey OT Notre Dame Easy choice, he shows up in camp and Ogbuehi starts preparing for retirement.

#46 Leighton Vander Esch MLB Boise St. This guy has the instincts and physical tools to be a superstar. He's learn behind Minter for a while, and then take over at MIKE for the next 12 years.

#55 Billy Price C Ohio St. Price somehow makes it to the back half of the 2nd. Marvin grows a pair and makes a rogue decision. Mr. Brown furrows his eyebrows intensely..

#77 Mason Rudolph QB Okla. St. McCarron's gone. Mayock gives Rudolph a 2-3 prediction, Lazor lobbies hard for the big man.

#100 Chukwuma Okorafor OT West. Mi. Big Chuk gets a year to develop, while Andre and Jake hold down RT for the time being.

#112 Marcus Allen S Penn St. Develops behind Williams for a couple years, goes on to play as long as his father did.

#151 Ryan Izzo TE FSU Assuming Eifert never gets back to full glory, we need someone to push Kroft and Uzo for reps.

#170 Fred Warner OLB BYU Big, lanky, athletic. Good coverage LB.

#187 Daniel Carlson K Aub Kicker to kick fat Randy outta here!

#230 Kevin Tolliver CB LSU Call this guy a Marvin special. He was a 5 star headed into LSU, but an attitude of entitlement seemed to hold him back. St. Marvin quickly converts him to the ways of being a team player, Tolliver instantly becomes a STs superstar, while finishing his CB development.

#252 Matthew Thomas OLB Fla. St. This is another Marvin Lewis reclamation project. It's a miracle that Matthew is even in the draft. During his time at FSU, he's endured injuries, earned suspensions, survived the loss of his mother to Lung disease. Despite all the obstacles, Matthew prevailed to have a great season, leading the 'Noles in tackles. Give him a couple years, if he doesn't self destruct, he could be our SAM for 10 years.

#253 Javarion Franklin RB WMU He catches Marvin's eye, while scouting Big Chuk at the WMU Pro Day.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Would like trading back in this manner

unless Nelson falls to 12 and then want him badly.

In fact if my guy Q. Nelson falls and Price falls too as you mocked to Bengals ?

Will be jumping up and down with joy and a Homer again.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I like this draft ALOT. There could be a couple of real defensive gems available to us at 12. Vea and Edmunds and Raquon look real tempting. Still, being at Boise State, I suppose I should hope we draft another Bronco to pair with Iloka. Vander Esch could be a monster in the NFL. The kid from Fla State that you have in the 7th looks really strong, too. I wonder how he'd do working with Burfict. I don't think PJ Dawson could handle it. LOL
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
I'd be pretty happy with a haul like that - especially from the first three rounds.  
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2018, 05:27 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: I'd be pretty happy with a haul like that - especially from the first three rounds.  

I went particularly heavy on OL and LB, as I see those as the biggest needs to improve this team.  I wanted to take a DT, but couldn't find one worth taking in the middle rounds.

I also neglected WR, because I think we have plenty of talent on our roster, that we still need to develop at that position.  

The Rudolph pick might be a little far fetched, but meh, it could happen.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Where are Mayock's grades? I've seen his list of top 5 for each position but no grades.

Also, I'm glad you didn't do a simulator draft. Those things are usually very unrealistic because they have players who fall multiple rounds without any explanation.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2018, 09:14 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I went particularly heavy on OL and LB, as I see those as the biggest needs to improve this team.  I wanted to take a DT, but couldn't find one worth taking in the middle rounds.

I also neglected WR, because I think we have plenty of talent on our roster, that we still need to develop at that position.  

The Rudolph pick might be a little far fetched, but meh, it could happen.

View the WR position this way as well but not sure the Bengals will pass on them per history. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I've been pimping Vander Esch for about 3 months now and if the draft did fall this way, I'd fly to your house and buy ya a beer! Pretty good job putting this together!
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2018, 10:38 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Where are Mayock's grades? I've seen his list of top 5 for each position but no grades.

Also, I'm glad you didn't do a simulator draft. Those things are usually very unrealistic because they have players who fall multiple rounds without any explanation.

Ok, if you know how to get there, click on any of the players names.  Draft profile and grade comes up.  THEN, go to little pull down to right of player, and select view by position.  Once you do that, save the link, as it's hard to find otherwise.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2018, 05:25 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Ok, if you know how to get there, click on any of the players names.  Draft profile and grade comes up.  THEN, go to little pull down to right of player, and select view by position.  Once you do that, save the link, as it's hard to find otherwise.

This is the page I'm referring to - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000916370/article/mike-mayocks-2018-nfl-draft-position-rankings

No links for any of the players on there.

EDIT - Nvm I think I found the page you were referring, which is http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000916367/article/mike-mayocks-2018-nfl-draft-position-rankings
Notice the numbers after "story" are different in the two links.

However, when I follow the steps you say, all of the draft profiles and grades are actually written by Lance Zierlein, not Mike Mayock.

Example to provide proof...Mayock has McGlinchey rated as his #1 OT. However, when you go into the View Prospects>By Position dropdown and click OL, Orlando Brown and Connor Williams are ahead of McGlinchey. So the only thing from Mayock you can go off of is the numerical ranking by position in the above link. The "grade" and profile for each player is all Lance.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2018, 12:47 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I've been pimping Vander Esch for about 3 months now and if the draft did fall this way, I'd fly to your house and buy ya a beer! Pretty good job putting this together!

It wasn't easy.  I had to dream up that trade idea, in order to get the LT, LB, and C that I wanted in the first two rounds.  Then, I had to come up with everyone else.  All in all, likely looked at a couple hundred draft profiles, had to use a little creativity.  I will say this, though.  If every player that Mayock gives a 1st or 2nd round grade to gets selected in those two rounds?  Those rounds will be about 55 picks long, each.  LOL I know, that sounds like an exaggeration, but you have to go like 20 deep in the CBs to get past a 2-3 grade, same with DL.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2018, 05:32 PM)ochocincos Wrote: This is the page I'm referring to - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000916370/article/mike-mayocks-2018-nfl-draft-position-rankings

No links for any of the players on there.

EDIT - Nvm I think I found the page you were referring, which is http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000916367/article/mike-mayocks-2018-nfl-draft-position-rankings
Notice the numbers after "story" are different in the two links.

However, when I follow the steps you say, all of the draft profiles are actually written by Lance Zierlein, not Mike Mayock.

Oh, I wasn't paying close enough attention.  I'll stop saying "Mayock has player X graded as..".

Also, there has to be a front door way to those NFL draft profiles.  I'm going to look.

Hard to get to, but save this link.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-position

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2018, 05:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Oh, I wasn't paying close enough attention.  I'll stop saying "Mayock has player X graded as..".

Also, there has to be a front door way to those NFL draft profiles.  I'm going to look.

There is. http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/tracker
You can also just cut off 2018/tracker and then click 2018 Prospects near the top.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2018, 05:43 PM)ochocincos Wrote: There is. http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/tracker
You can also just cut off 2018/tracker and then click 2018 Prospects near the top.

I'll likely do another mock later, using Draft Scouts profiles and grades.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
can’t ever get all your needs filled via draft but this is a pretty solid attempt. Love the early OL picks. Neither willl probably be All Pro but both should be solid studs for years.
Reply/Quote
awesome job but Ryan Izzo was a Nole not from The Pew!
Reply/Quote
Like The OT at 21 but Leighton im not high on at all. Would much rather have evans...Bill price would be epic if he falls. Dont mind trading back at all if of course nelson is not there. guards can slide sometimes. wouldnt mind using a comp pick to move up to get nelson thoeither if at all possible.
Reply/Quote
No Hawkeyes?  Mellow

Just kidding, I would actually be really happy if the draft went down this way.  Nice job, Sunset! 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
LMAO THIS IS MY DREAM DRAFT!!! Hilarious
Reply/Quote
Love to see us trade back to Buffalo. Seen many a simulator have Buff trade their two 1st round picks for #12. Is this possible? If it is, and if it happened, I'd hope the Bengals would jump on it. I'd only be torn if Edmunds or Nelson were sitting there at 12.
Reply/Quote