Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mock My Mock
1. Branch wound up being the BPA at 28, so I snapped the talented DB. Branch, similar to Dax Hill, was used as a slot defender at 'bama and projects to a S in the NFL. Lou's scheme demands a lot from it's S's and Branch has the tools to slot into that scheme.

2.Charbonnet is a true 3-down RB with the size to survive as a between the T's bell cow and the blocking and receiving skills to stay in the game on passing downs. He likely starts the year as the 3rd down back/insurance against a Mixon injury.

3.LaPorta isn't overly exciting, but he's a solid in line blocker that should be a decent zone beater and has enough speed to threaten the seam. I wouldn't be surprised if he was starting over Irv before the end of the year.

4.Morris is one of my fave developmental T prospects in this class. He has length and athletic ability, which you can't teach, but needs to add strength. After a year or two in the Bengals ' strength program, I could see him pushing for a starting job.

5.Moss has a ton of experience at Iowa and does well in zone. He has good size/speed at 6'1" and a 4.45 40, but has some technique issues that he needs to clean up.

6.Whylie is going to wind up being a move type TE. He could wind up being the sizzle to LaPorta's steak.

7.Turk has a cannon for a leg and is the nephew of former NFL P Matt Turk. He needs a lot of work on pooch and directional kicks, but the leg talent and pedigree is there.

Attached Files Image(s)

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Branch - I do not dislike the Branch selection but I believe BPA strategy must be employed while taking all relative factors into consideration. I believe an important consideration is the recent investment in the position by the Bengals. Draft selections on two good young safeties in Hill and Anderson as well as the signing of Nick Scott.

I would have to see who else was on the board when making this selection.

Charbonnet - Again I do not dislike the selection and I think he is an alright selection but this is where I would need to see who was being passed on when making this selection as I believe there could be even greater value at RB later in the draft but I do like Charbonnet as a prospect and I think he is a good fit.

LaPorta - It is just my personal preference but I do not like him as a prospect. I do not like his size at the position as he is stuck between FB and TE. He really is not a good inline blocker and when singled against good edge rushers he routinely loses. He is not a big yards after contact threat and TD production is virtually nonexistent. In his 4 years at Iowa he has produced 5 TDs. This leads me to question his effectiveness as a redzone target. I believe there are far better options than LaPorta at TE.

Morris - I really like this selection and I would go as far as to say I am not even sure how developmental he is. I believe he could challenge anyone on the Bengals roster right now for the RT position and give it a hell of a fight and he has the athleticism and ability to play LT as well. I would really like to see the Bengals select him in this draft.

Moss - I really like this selection as well. I believe Moss is very underrated and that when he gets on a roster he will be there for along time. I really like him in a defense that runs a lot of zone like the Bengals do. Super high football IQ prospect and from all account a good locker room guy and leader on the field. Great pick!

Whyle - I do not hate the selection but if other TEs such as Davis Allen or Cameron Latu were on the board I would be apt to select them over Whyle.

Turk -  Hey competition never hurts.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2023, 12:26 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Branch - I do not dislike the Branch selection but I believe BPA strategy must be employed while taking all relative factors into consideration. I believe an important consideration is the recent investment in the position by the Bengals. Draft selections on two good young safeties in Hill and Anderson as well as the signing of Nick Scott.

I would have to see who else was on the board when making this selection.

Charbonnet - Again I do not dislike the selection and I think he is an alright selection but this is where I would need to see who was being passed on when making this selection as I believe there could be even greater value at RB later in the draft but I do like Charbonnet as a prospect and I think he is a good fit.

LaPorta - It is just my personal preference but I do not like him as a prospect. I do not like his size at the position as he is stuck between FB and TE. He really is not a good inline blocker and when singled against good edge rushers he routinely loses. He is not a big yards after contact threat and TD production is virtually nonexistent. In his 4 years at Iowa he has produced 5 TDs. This leads me to question his effectiveness as a redzone target. I believe there are far better options than LaPorta at TE.

Morris - I really like this selection and I would go as far as to say I am not even sure how developmental he is. I believe he could challenge anyone on the Bengals roster right now for the RT position and give it a hell of a fight and he has the athleticism and ability to play LT as well. I would really like to see the Bengals select him in this draft.

Moss - I really like this selection as well. I believe Moss is very underrated and that when he gets on a roster he will be there for along time. I really like him in a defense that runs a lot of zone like the Bengals do. Super high football IQ prospect and from all account a good locker room guy and leader on the field. Great pick!

Whyle - I do not hate the selection but if other TEs such as Davis Allen or Cameron Latu were on the board I would be apt to select them over Whyle.

Turk -  Hey competition never hurts.

FWIW, I went into this as a "no trade" draft.  Bijan Robinson wound up falling all the way to 26, and I would have moved up a few spots for him if I wasn't using that stipulation.  

Personally, I like Branch a lot as a prospect.  I'm not sold on Scott and Anderson did not show much during preseason last year.  I remember Wright was gone and don't recall Anton Harrison or Ringo being on the board at this spot either.  While I could probably talk myself into being excited about Gibbs if he wound up being the pick, he's not a guy I would personally take here.  Jones was available, but he's off my board after all the non-participation in the draft process.  I don't think Washington was on the board at this point, either.

It was pretty much down to Charbonnet, Tucker Kraft, and DJ Turner in round 2.  In retrospect, Devon Achane fell in 3 and would have given us a more dynamic 3rd down threat, as well as return ability, so it could have been better to go with Kraft, but hindsight is 20/20.  Then again, Achane isn't going to be able to handle the load of Mixon goes down.  

LaPorta is probably a TE2 that the Bengals offense and surrounding talent will make look like a TE1.  However, it needed to addressed, at this point, and LaPorta was the best available.  Tippmann was tempting here, but I don't see a starting spot on the IOL available anytime soon.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2023, 01:28 PM)Whatever Wrote: FWIW, I went into this as a "no trade" draft.  Bijan Robinson wound up falling all the way to 26, and I would have moved up a few spots for him if I wasn't using that stipulation.  

Personally, I like Branch a lot as a prospect.  I'm not sold on Scott and Anderson did not show much during preseason last year.  I remember Wright was gone and don't recall Anton Harrison or Ringo being on the board at this spot either.  While I could probably talk myself into being excited about Gibbs if he wound up being the pick, he's not a guy I would personally take here.  Jones was available, but he's off my board after all the non-participation in the draft process.  I don't think Washington was on the board at this point, either.

It was pretty much down to Charbonnet, Tucker Kraft, and DJ Turner in round 2.  In retrospect, Devon Achane fell in 3 and would have given us a more dynamic 3rd down threat, as well as return ability, so it could have been better to go with Kraft, but hindsight is 20/20.  Then again, Achane isn't going to be able to handle the load of Mixon goes down.  

LaPorta is probably a TE2 that the Bengals offense and surrounding talent will make look like a TE1.  However, it needed to addressed, at this point, and LaPorta was the best available.  Tippmann was tempting here, but I don't see a starting spot on the IOL available anytime soon.

Oh Lordy...I would have taken Tippmann all day long. That kid is going to be a good one and he compares pretty favorably to Creed Humphrey. A guy like Tippmann could be a starter at center as a rookie which would allow Karras to slide out to LG where he is experienced as well.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2023, 04:47 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Oh Lordy...I would have taken Tippmann all day long. That kid is going to be a good one and he compares pretty favorably to Creed Humphrey. A guy like Tippmann could be a starter at center as a rookie which would allow Karras to slide out to LG where he is experienced as well.

I could get excited about Tippman. Follow that up with a RB in the second and TE in the third and our offense would be stacked. Or maybe even wait on the RB/TE until later if the BPA is a corner or dlineman.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2023, 04:47 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Oh Lordy...I would have taken Tippmann all day long. That kid is going to be a good one and he compares pretty favorably to Creed Humphrey. A guy like Tippmann could be a starter at center as a rookie which would allow Karras to slide out to LG where he is experienced as well.

I really have no desire to go into next season with only one OL starting in the same spot he was last year, especially with a rookie C.  Our OL struggled half of the season trying to get chemistry together last year and I would like to avoid that, if possible.  I don't think they have any desire to move Karras, either. 
Reply/Quote